Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Re: The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread
Reply #120 on: April 30, 2021, 03:37:23 PM
Looks useful....
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 30, 2021, 04:19:23 PM
Yeah I'm going to carry it for a bit along with a SOG PowerPint, which will make a nice combo.

Charles.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: May 01, 2021, 02:04:04 AM
Looks like a good one - a good "try before you go all out" MT
I keep on going back and forth about the T4 - I want the one-hand opening blade and the scissors, but I don't want all the other stuff. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: May 06, 2021, 11:54:36 PM
Here's another interesting one
BM-380.jpg
* BM-380.jpg (Filesize: 80.99 KB)

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #124 on: May 07, 2021, 02:02:18 AM
Don‘t get an Armbar. At least not yet, you won‘t be happy. Wait for version 2.0. I hope they make one. The idea is great, the execution not so much  :dunno:
Agreed, and it’s made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: May 07, 2021, 02:12:00 AM
Agreed, and it’s made in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a version 2.0 on the way - a Slim... Still made abroad though.  I can't be bothered with that to be honest. Gerber took the decision themselves to make some of their tools in the US and make some abroad.   If the QC is not as good on the latter, it's still on Gerber. 

I'm not expecting to be impressed.  It's just something different, and I'm going to use it for the SAK-alike Challenge https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87225.0.html unless something else comes along that I find interesting.  Meanwhile, I'm still on the hunt for more knife based multitools.  :whistle:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: May 09, 2021, 01:12:32 PM
I actually have a version 2.0 on the way - a Slim... Still made abroad though.  I can't be bothered with that to be honest. Gerber took the decision themselves to make some of their tools in the US and make some abroad.   If the QC is not as good on the latter, it's still on Gerber. 

I'm not expecting to be impressed.  It's just something different, and I'm going to use it for the SAK-alike Challenge https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87225.0.html unless something else comes along that I find interesting.  Meanwhile, I'm still on the hunt for more knife based multitools.  :whistle:

:mail:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: June 16, 2021, 10:15:06 PM
It's been said that if a knife has a bottle opener, it counts as a multitool.  I've been intrigued by these knives that have an integrated bottle opener, and nothing additional... but better yet, the ones that have something that can tighten a screw. 

Does anyone have any favorites?
kershaw.jpg
* kershaw.jpg (Filesize: 75.91 KB)

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: June 17, 2021, 03:10:52 AM

the DIY is solid, as is the Milwaukee 6 in 1: both awesome pocket knives

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: June 17, 2021, 03:56:00 AM
It's been said that if a knife has a bottle opener, it counts as a multitool.  I've been intrigued by these knives that have an integrated bottle opener, and nothing additional... but better yet, the ones that have something that can tighten a screw. 

Does anyone have any favorites?
I have one of these. It's my daily beater.
The bottle opener works. And the lanyard ring serves as flat screwdriver.

I like!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #130 on: June 17, 2021, 07:18:00 PM
I have the Kershaw Shuffle.  I was really excited about the bottle opener and the pry/driver/lanyard ring on the back. 

However, unfortunately when I tried to open bottles with mine, it failed.  It could be that mine is defective but for some reason they didn't shape the lifter correctly and when trying to pry open a bottle the hook just slips right off.  I have a cheap Mtech knife that was clearly designed as a Shuffle clone, it has a similar bottle opener on the spine.  But on the cheap one the hook is much more pronounced and it opens bottles perfectly. 

It's very frustrating. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: June 17, 2021, 10:41:18 PM
I have the Kershaw Shuffle.  I was really excited about the bottle opener and the pry/driver/lanyard ring on the back. 

However, unfortunately when I tried to open bottles with mine, it failed.  It could be that mine is defective but for some reason they didn't shape the lifter correctly and when trying to pry open a bottle the hook just slips right off.  I have a cheap Mtech knife that was clearly designed as a Shuffle clone, it has a similar bottle opener on the spine.  But on the cheap one the hook is much more pronounced and it opens bottles perfectly. 

It's very frustrating.

It's one of those things - when you get a knife that you expect to do a select few things,  you want that they are done well. On the theme of this thread, you want the knife to be very good - whether thats a good knife, or fast action or something.  Once that's sorted out, you want those extra things like bottle opening or screw driving. 

Looking at the Kershaw Shuffle reviews, some folks are unimpressed with the screwdriving capability, but then some folks seem to not know what they're talking about.   :whistle:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #132 on: June 18, 2021, 11:31:59 PM
It's one of those things - when you get a knife that you expect to do a select few things,  you want that they are done well. On the theme of this thread, you want the knife to be very good - whether thats a good knife, or fast action or something.  Once that's sorted out, you want those extra things like bottle opening or screw driving. 

Looking at the Kershaw Shuffle reviews, some folks are unimpressed with the screwdriving capability, but then some folks seem to not know what they're talking about.   :whistle:

^ That's generally what I expect from the knives I buy.  Oddly enough, while I was very frustrated with the Shuffle I bought because of the bottle opener, I still have an over-all positive view of the knife.  I managed to get it brand new for under $5 so it didn't have a lot to live up to.

I keep telling myself to go and get a metal rasp and fix the angle of the bottle opener myself but I never really carry the knife so I still haven't gotten around to it.   :dunno:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: June 20, 2021, 01:50:59 AM
the kershaw shuffle 2 is much much better.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: July 11, 2021, 03:03:13 PM
Boker Atlas Multi

Just two tools... But.... :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #135 on: July 11, 2021, 04:15:04 PM
Boker Atlas Multi

Just two tools... But.... :tu:

Rebranded Sanrenmu PT711. They look nice.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: July 11, 2021, 05:29:14 PM
Rebranded Sanrenmu PT711. They look nice.

(Image removed from quote.)

:think:

Are they the same?  I know Boker Plus is the budget brand.  Are they being manufactured by one factory for both brands?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

Offline Stabby

Reply #138 on: August 18, 2021, 09:17:33 PM
From the makers of the famous black cat knives sold in Germany since the 1860s, the Mercator Multi.  It comes in large and small versions and is priced quite high for what it is IMO.  Cool knife/tool nonetheless.

https://www.otter-messer.de/en/brands/mercator-knives/78/mercator-multi-small
media.jpg
* media.jpg (Filesize: 184.74 KB)

Offline Stabby

Reply #139 on: August 18, 2021, 09:27:07 PM
While on the subject of German tools, during WWII they made fixed blade fighting knives with integrated tools in the  handle as well as a bayonet with a detachable multitool in the handle.  Of course nothing similar is in current production; here are some pics for curiosity's sake.
forum.jpg
* forum.jpg (Filesize: 41.31 KB)
forum-1.jpg
* forum-1.jpg (Filesize: 36.06 KB)
wp-content.jpg
* wp-content.jpg (Filesize: 51.7 KB)
wp-content-1.jpg
* wp-content-1.jpg (Filesize: 44.49 KB)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: August 18, 2021, 10:47:26 PM
From the makers of the famous black cat knives sold in Germany since the 1860s, the Mercator Multi.  It comes in large and small versions and is priced quite high for what it is IMO.  Cool knife/tool nonetheless.

https://www.otter-messer.de/en/brands/mercator-knives/78/mercator-multi-small

:like:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:30 PM
While on the subject of German tools, during WWII they made fixed blade fighting knives with integrated tools in the  handle as well as a bayonet with a detachable multitool in the handle.  Of course nothing similar is in current production; here are some pics for curiosity's sake.

:salute:  Nice

Offline Stabby

Reply #142 on: August 18, 2021, 11:38:44 PM
Another sub-$20 Chinese tool.  This one comes courtesy of a Game of Thrones fan.  It looks really neat, but the reviews have the same old complaints of knives dulling and  poor plier alignment:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XYFPCFD/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3PM8A65YD85EL
images.jpg
* images.jpg (Filesize: 78.71 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69