Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread
Reply #90 on: February 27, 2021, 12:42:35 AM
CRKT Septimo
Septimo_Multi_Tool.5fb7f1cf491d4.jpg
* Septimo_Multi_Tool.5fb7f1cf491d4.jpg (Filesize: 36.74 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #91 on: February 27, 2021, 08:52:33 AM
I would argue that the Septimo is wrench based, or fixed plier based, kind of like the SOG Toolclip, Wenger SwissGrip etc.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:43 PM
I would argue that the Septimo is wrench based, or fixed plier based, kind of like the SOG Toolclip, Wenger SwissGrip etc.

Fair enough, the handle is built around the pliers it seems... but the pliers seem smallish. 

What stopped me from considering a purchase is that - the handle being too much overall

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: February 27, 2021, 04:34:34 PM
The Armbar Slim Cut has a lanyard ring

Finally, Gerber listened and integrated a carry option on the Slim versions.

Unfortunately, they took out the advantage that the Armbar had, with the opener/prybar/hammer implement   
GB30001724nt.jpg
* GB30001724nt.jpg (Filesize: 39.79 KB)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:41:02 PM by ElevenBlade »

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #94 on: March 14, 2021, 05:05:07 AM
Nice thread! I read it all now.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: March 14, 2021, 02:57:04 PM
Nice thread! I read it all now.

Any thoughts on a locking large-bladed MT?

I think a 111mm OHO SAK would be fine if it wasn't for the backspring.  Most other commonly marketed tools seem to have one major shortcoming or another.  Then there are these tools by Kershaw and Spyderco that seem ok, but I would want try them out in-hand first. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #96 on: April 12, 2021, 11:42:17 AM
Here's another one. I thought someone would've awlready name it here. Well, I'll take care of it.

True Utility Smartknife. Judging from the ammount of instructions in the package and in the knife itself, this knife is smarter than the users. Apparently, they couldn't figure out what every part of this tool is for without directions...

:facepalm:

TrueUt 01.jpg
* TrueUt 01.jpg (Filesize: 315.49 KB)
TrueUt 02.jpg
* TrueUt 02.jpg (Filesize: 315.51 KB)
TrueUt 03.jpg
* TrueUt 03.jpg (Filesize: 368.61 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #97 on: April 12, 2021, 11:47:23 AM
The box it comes in looks good, is it waterproof?

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: April 12, 2021, 11:48:12 AM
Some more pics, with a Midnite Manager for size comparison. The knife itself is not unconfortable to hold, despite its look. Doesn't really have any hotspots. I don't like it that much, more because of looks than of how if feels.

I have to say that, for me, the best thing about it is the water tight container it comes in.

TrueUt 04.jpg
* TrueUt 04.jpg (Filesize: 372.92 KB)
TrueUt 05.jpg
* TrueUt 05.jpg (Filesize: 368 KB)
TrueUt 06.jpg
* TrueUt 06.jpg (Filesize: 353.17 KB)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: April 12, 2021, 11:50:22 AM
The box it comes in looks good, is it waterproof?

Great minds... yup, it is. It even has a "small" (as in "thin") O-ring.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline RF52

Reply #100 on: April 12, 2021, 11:52:44 AM
Could have just waited a couple of seconds there :tu:
Seems to be a useful box for smaller stuff to keep dry in a backpack :like:
Might have to look it up now :rofl:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #101 on: April 13, 2021, 10:54:47 AM
pfrsantos, I was thinking about buying one of those but I stopped myself because it looked gimmicky. 

BUT I was wondering, have you had a chance to use the slotted driver on the flipper tab?  That's the main thing that attracted me to it in the first place.  Does it make it hard to flip open?  Is it something you can actually use as a driver???

:think:

I was thinking about getting the black one because it has a bit driver instead of the strap cutter.   :dunno:
tu smrt.JPG
* tu smrt.JPG (Filesize: 23.53 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: April 13, 2021, 03:44:51 PM
pfrsantos, I was thinking about buying one of those but I stopped myself because it looked gimmicky. 

BUT I was wondering, have you had a chance to use the slotted driver on the flipper tab?  That's the main thing that attracted me to it in the first place.  Does it make it hard to flip open?  Is it something you can actually use as a driver???

:think:

I was thinking about getting the black one because it has a bit driver instead of the strap cutter.   :dunno:

Well, it's not exactly a flip open knife. You can use the flipper to open the blade a little and then use the blade hole to fully open it.

I never actually used it. I took it out of the box right now and tried the screw driver on the flipper. You have to be careful. If you don't press down on the spine of the blade, it opens. If you manage to press down, it doesn't work too bad, but I'd be always worried about having the blade open and risk cutting myself, since you're making a turning movement.

It's dangerous in two ways: the point sticks out (with some of the blade tip) and your fingers can slide inside the cut on the scales, just under the belly of the blade! If you're pressing down on the back of the blade when this happens, it's very likely you'd cut yourself bad!

I prefer your version. Trading the carabiner for a pry bar/nail puller and the belt cutter for a bit holder seems like a great option.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: April 14, 2021, 02:09:25 AM
Some more pics, with a Midnite Manager for size comparison. The knife itself is not unconfortable to hold, despite its look. Doesn't really have any hotspots. I don't like it that much, more because of looks than of how if feels.

I have to say that, for me, the best thing about it is the water tight container it comes in.

I actually bought one of those new, to my somewhat chagrin. Not because it's bad, but because I buy very few things new, other than food, socks, underwear, gasoline, and a few other depletables like that. I carried that critter for a good while, and it is a handy size. The Kentucky wrench is awful, though, and the screw driver, so called, hardly has any screws it will fit into because it's too thick, and, the finish wore off REAL fast as I EDC'd it at the sawmilll, making its small ruler practically impossible to read, as if it were really that useful in the first place.

However, they're a good little frame lock carabiner type for EDC, for all that.

I did probably buy mine mainly for the container, too...

I do have at least one TU for sale used, but no container. I'm pretty easy on the pricing!
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #104 on: April 14, 2021, 11:48:32 AM
The Kentucky wrench is awful, though, and the screw...

I've never heard anyone call those a Kentucky wrench.  Is this a common term?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: April 14, 2021, 10:54:41 PM
I actually bought one of those new, to my somewhat chagrin. Not because it's bad, but because I buy very few things new, other than food, socks, underwear, gasoline, and a few other depletables like that. I carried that critter for a good while, and it is a handy size. The Kentucky wrench is awful, though, and the screw driver, so called, hardly has any screws it will fit into because it's too thick, and, the finish wore off REAL fast as I EDC'd it at the sawmilll, making its small ruler practically impossible to read, as if it were really that useful in the first place.

However, they're a good little frame lock carabiner type for EDC, for all that.

I did probably buy mine mainly for the container, too...

I do have at least one TU for sale used, but no container. I'm pretty easy on the pricing!

That's a deal-breaker for me... I've been spoiled rotten with the Victorinox drivers... 
there's a lot on this that I wouldn't use,  The wrench that is shaped like Kentucky is chief among them.

As I mentioned in another thread... I'm thinking that I may go with the Gerber Armbar Cut Slim...
OHO blade that is small enough for my liking, scissors, and an opener.  The whole thing lacks a screwdriver... but I think there are enough flat parts on it to do the trick.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: April 15, 2021, 12:35:18 AM
I've never had one of the Gerber Armbars, but I do have a lot of the non SAK SAK's, including a Japanese one. I had one of the German ISC, but a member bought it from me a week or so ago.... they're almost a clone of the 91mm Victorinox, but not quite, and a fairly good copy/not clone, at that.

If I'd realized we would be doing this today, I would have kept back a couple ones I took over to the antique store today to put on consignment, incuding the Japanese one.

Now of course, there are the mass-market, low-life CAK's (China Army Knives) that are scarcely worth considering. I have about 20-30 of them and I'm getting ready to throw them all on eBay as a bulk buy. I also sold the hobo knife I recently won my badge with, and not sure if I have another, but I think I have one on the way in my next batch from Boulder City. I also know I have a few other interesting ones I just can't locate at the moment.

But here's what I did dig up today. None of these are particularly valuable.

The little red one is another type of CAK but it is not on the standard pattern you find with most of them. This one is also quite small. It looks refreshingly different from the other CAKs.

The greenish off-color one, I don't know how it was marketed, but it's an interesting one. Never seen another like it. It includes a ferro rod among other things.

The black one is like a high-end CAK. It has the characteristic scissors bump between the two openers, however, the layout is very different from the junk metal CAKs. It is much better built. Unlike the exposed battleship turret backside tools of the multi-million run standard CAK's, the backside tools on this tool open from the end and are recessed. It's much more of a classy chassis lassie than the regular tin-squid CAK's. I daresay the tools are an improvement over those sorry solidified molten drops of scrap metal, too. But still not the quality of a decent name-brand knife.

The carabiner knife actually has a name on it, Columbia, but whether that means anything much, I couldn't say. The hobo I just sold was the same brand. The carabiner (I have no idea how many pound test the frame is, for carrying purposes) has a knife blade, a wood saw, and combination nail file and bottle opener. I tried the wood saw out just now. It is clearly not the quality of a Victorinox, but it does cut wood, at least softer wood. Being so short, it makes it a bit awkward.

Anyway, there are higher dollar options out there too, from various companies, which I don't have.

Hope we found this interesting.
IMG_20210414_181030688.jpg
* IMG_20210414_181030688.jpg (Filesize: 499.25 KB)
IMG_20210414_180621470.jpg
* IMG_20210414_180621470.jpg (Filesize: 487.52 KB)

us Offline Sos24

The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread
Reply #107 on: April 15, 2021, 01:30:45 AM
I do have to say I’m surprised to not see much if any mention of Swiza and Boker/Ruike?

I don’t have a Swiza, But I do have a Boker Tech Tool and Ruike
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:41:10 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: April 15, 2021, 01:33:11 AM
I do have to say I’m surprised to not see much if any mention of Swiza and Boker/Ruike?

I don’t have a Swiza, But I do have a couple Boker Tech Tools.

As for me, I've never had any yet, but maybe one day!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #109 on: April 15, 2021, 02:20:56 AM
The greenish off-color one, I don't know how it was marketed, but it's an interesting one. Never seen another like it. It includes a ferro rod among other things.

I saw a review of this the other day. It looked quite interesting.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: April 15, 2021, 02:25:49 AM
I saw a review of this the other day. It looked quite interesting.

Wow, nice! The name was scraped off the side of this one, so I couldn't read it. Thought it was general advertising on a brandless knife....

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: April 24, 2021, 04:01:50 PM
I've been looking at the Leatherman K2 and T2. While I really like the concept, the ergonomics and tool selection are not optimal.

Again, they have 3 drivers... And that's the sort of thing that I'd want to avoid in a knife forwarded multitool.

In terms of the knife. The smaller one has the thumb hole too far from the pivot.

And overall the larger one is bigger than a full sized MT  :facepalm:

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: April 24, 2021, 07:30:48 PM
Not yet, 11.  :(

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: April 24, 2021, 07:32:49 PM
So I did get this generic stainless rigger's knife. I understand the blade and the marlin spike, but what's the loop thing for?
IMG_20210424_112501555.jpg
* IMG_20210424_112501555.jpg (Filesize: 454.68 KB)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: April 24, 2021, 08:13:06 PM
So I did get this generic stainless rigger's knife. I understand the blade and the marlin spike, but what's the loop thing for?

The loop thing may be for shackles

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #115 on: April 25, 2021, 01:13:05 AM
I've been looking at the Leatherman K2 and T2. While I really like the concept, the ergonomics and tool selection are not optimal.

Again, they have 3 drivers... And that's the sort of thing that I'd want to avoid in a knife forwarded multitool. ...
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

I have a K4 and T4 and encounter screws of all different sizes.  Therefore, having screwdriver blades in various sizes is a feature I value.  YMMV.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Sos24

Reply #116 on: April 25, 2021, 04:02:13 AM
The loop thing may be for shackles
Exactly.  The loop is designed to help with opening/closing shackles. 

Different knife, but so you get the idea

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: April 25, 2021, 04:18:35 AM
Exactly.  The loop is designed to help with opening/closing shackles. 

Different knife, but so you get the idea
(Image removed from quote.)

Oh, nice, I learned something! And I guess it kind of works like the Wenger wrench, too, perhaps, for nuts? Maybe not well, though....

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: April 30, 2021, 06:19:04 AM
Just picked this guy up today for $18 off of Amazon. A new Swiss Tech multitool. It's similar in style and function to a Leatherman T2, but with a better tool load out, a great phillips driver, and a carabiner clip. For less than half the price of a T2 at that. So far I'm pretty pleased. The can opener works well, the carabiner clips to my belt loop nicely, the bottle opener works great, the phillips locks in nicely and doesn't cam out... it's just a great all around little tool. The only way it could be better is if it had a pocket clip.

But even so, the belt loop carry makes it possible to EDC for me. Not my favoruite way to carry, but it works well enough.

Charles.
IMG_9578.jpg
* IMG_9578.jpg (Filesize: 318.72 KB)
IMG_9580.jpg
* IMG_9580.jpg (Filesize: 247.39 KB)

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: April 30, 2021, 06:19:29 AM
oh also the other side of the file is diamond coated.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD