Civilian Signal Mods - All Done
« on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:16 AM »
With all these home detention laws in place in Oz, I had time to complete my civilian version of the Signal I stated a while ago.
When I did the Signal Challenges back in 2016/2017 I tested the Signal for my Urban EDC needs. I quickly figured out that I don't need a saw and that was replaced with a file from the current Wave. I also wanted a PE blade. I use my MT's for food prep at work and the OEM Signal blade was just not right for what I needed it to do. I originally bought two PE blades for the Signal. Then Texts TC were still open they made a lovely looking Damascus PE blade for it. I ordered one but only had it in the tool for a couple of days. There were some issues with fitting that blade. The OEM blade has an uneven bevel to accommodate the awl. That is not the case with the Damascus blade. It rubbed against the awl as the blade was closing and pushed it slightly back. Continuous use like that will eventually damage the blade. The other problem was that the OEM blade is quite thick and the Damascus one about 1mm thinner. I tried spacing the blade out by adding two additional brass washers but that did not help either. Eventually I removed it and went back to the OEM blade.
I then ordered a PE Wave blade and tried a quick fit. It had the same problems as the Damascus blade with the rubbing against the awl. And, back in went the OEM blade.
Well, this weekend I finally got around to fixing the problem.
The blade went in first, however I had to add a second brass washer to have the correct amount of tightness on it. I then made some marks on the awl and started sanding it back to make space for the blade. I started with 240 grid paper and went on removing about 0.8mm from the body of the awl. I made a small mark on the back and made sure the sanding does not go beyond that mark. I did not want to thin out the pivot part. It took about an hour to get the correct profile. I checked often to make sure I just clear it. I did not want to make it to thin either. The point is slightly thinner than the rest of the awl. Everything went back together after a very good clean. The blade is a good fit and will work for my daily needs. Tonight will be the first test at dinner time.
The last modification I did was to remove the ferro rod, sand the gap down to just above the tool and fill it in with some filling putty. That dried overnight and I finished the sanding and made it all black. It looks better and makes the tool slightly more comfortable using a left hand.
I did not take pictures of the awl sanding, but have some comparison shots with another one to show the difference in thickness. All in Awl it worked out well and I think I will start carrying it daily again. I will update the thread in a week's time with some impressions on the PE blade.