Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Mora Classic Revamp

comis · 17 · 1160

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
The Mora Classic Revamp
on: April 07, 2020, 06:20:33 PM
Looks like the classic Mora as we know it will be getting a face lift, instead of the red enamel, they are going to be red stained and comes with a new sheath design.  Hopefully the price increase is only MSRP or else it may be a bummer:

https://morakniv.se/en/product-category/all-knives/morakniv-classics/

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The Mora Classic Revamp
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:57:47 PM
Well, they finally fixed my biggest criticism of the Classic, even if it's by doubling the price.   While Mora sheaths are generally pretty sturdy (and even if I do catch the clip on something, I've been able to put it back where it belongs by running it under hot water and then clamping it closed with a pair of Vise-Grips), the one on the Classic is not. I broke the one on my #2 with the full finger guard the day I bought the knife. I'd been doing yard work with it, and the belt slot snapped off when I was taking it off my belt.   This time, while the sheath itself is still plastic, it uses a heavy leather belt loop.  And the staining looks much better than paint.

Older sheaths were full leather, I think. I know the one to my Erikkson Scout is. On this, the main compartment is plastic.   I don't mind, and actually like the plastic on the stock Mora sheath, as it requires maintenance, and the whole thing can be cleaned after I'm done cleaning fish/game or doing dir  Much more hygienic.  Due to COVID, I've been decontaminating all my purchases. One of the knives I bought (new) was unfortunately bulk-packed, thus it wasn't in sealed packaging. It had a leather sheath. That makes things a lot harder.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:20:41 AM
Well, they finally fixed my biggest criticism of the Classic, even if it's by doubling the price.   While Mora sheaths are generally pretty sturdy (and even if I do catch the clip on something, I've been able to put it back where it belongs by running it under hot water and then clamping it closed with a pair of Vise-Grips), the one on the Classic is not. I broke the one on my #2 with the full finger guard the day I bought the knife. I'd been doing yard work with it, and the belt slot snapped off when I was taking it off my belt.   This time, while the sheath itself is still plastic, it uses a heavy leather belt loop.  And the staining looks much better than paint.

Older sheaths were full leather, I think. I know the one to my Erikkson Scout is. On this, the main compartment is plastic.   I don't mind, and actually like the plastic on the stock Mora sheath, as it requires maintenance, and the whole thing can be cleaned after I'm done cleaning fish/game or doing dir  Much more hygienic.  Due to COVID, I've been decontaminating all my purchases. One of the knives I bought (new) was unfortunately bulk-packed, thus it wasn't in sealed packaging. It had a leather sheath. That makes things a lot harder.

I hope this new leather loop is as sturdy as you expect it to be, but at the least it probably is more usable too since the original sheath plastic loop was really flimsy for Classic 2.  This new leather loop at least will allow some degree of movement for the sheath.  I wonder is the red stain more durable than the red enamel...I guess we will know once this is out.

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:16:19 AM
it is a nice update
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 02:56:38 PM
The sheath does look nice.  Time will tel how well it performs.  I've got a little Mora with guard in a leather sheath.  I've also got two older Moras that came without sheaths.  I made a leather sheath for my #1 and reused a Martini ( sp ) sheath for my #2.  As far as the enamel vs stain  :dunno: both my old Moras have held up quite well.  I got both used and both look pretty darn good.

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:37:52 PM
The sheath does look nice.  Time will tel how well it performs.  I've got a little Mora with guard in a leather sheath.  I've also got two older Moras that came without sheaths.  I made a leather sheath for my #1 and reused a Martini ( sp ) sheath for my #2.  As far as the enamel vs stain  :dunno: both my old Moras have held up quite well.  I got both used and both look pretty darn good.

I noticed on their website they are renaming the Classic 2 with guard as just "classic 2 with guard", I remembered it was used to call Mora 612 and it was lesser known and not too easy to find.  I hope the new renaming will make it more readily available for all dealers.

My only wish for Mora is to make the Classic 2 pattern with an exposed full tang, sandwiched between two micarta or simply wooden scales.  So it will remain lightweight while having stronger integrity in the middle.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 03:48:48 PM
That would be interesting, a Classic with full tang  :ahhh.  Thats actually a fantastic idea  :hatsoff:.   I'm guessing tradition might be more of an influence to keep the Classics, classic. 

Heres my Mora when I got it ( might be a #3 ).  The red was in pretty great shape and still is.  Gonna measure the blade and see which it is.   

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60878.msg1125097.html#_

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:17:56 PM
Its a #2.  Here are my Moras.  I thought it was hype to be honest, when I heard of these knives.  They are the real deal in many ways.  Certainly worth getting for anyone who like to use a knife even just to fool around with at camp or around the house. 
IMG_0522.jpg
* IMG_0522.jpg (Filesize: 119.92 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 05:45:25 PM
Aloha, thanks for the picture, and can't agree more with you on that.  In terms of 'value', I think they are just hard to beat.  I now know what you mean by the little knife with guard, I think that's what they called the scout knife, and I too like that one.

The one that I really like is this 612.  With most Mora classic, I have to constantly be aware where my fingers are.  But the 612 with the finger guard do offer me the luxury without worrying about it that much.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 05:54:28 PM
I hope I'll come across one of those.  Whenever I see a Classic at the flea market I buy it.  I like to do a little work on it then I give it away.  The three I have I liked so much that I had to keep all three.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 03:29:24 PM
"Price includes 30% VAT", which will mean $28 without it. And given MSRP itself is often 30% over the regular price, I'm thinking $20-25 would be the going price when these start being distributed widely. Given, I paid $15 for the one I have at the local knife store, so not too much more.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 03:36:45 PM
"Price includes 30% VAT", which will mean $28 without it. And given MSRP itself is often 30% over the regular price, I'm thinking $20-25 would be the going price when these start being distributed widely. Given, I paid $15 for the one I have at the local knife store, so not too much more.

I sure hope the math is right.  One thing everyone loves Mora for is the value, and it would be kinda sad to see prices inflated when the original designs are all perfectly functional at the current price offering.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 03:52:24 PM
Good thing is Classic Moras can still be found on the second hand market for around what Cody paid.  I got my 3 for less than $10 total from the local flea market.   
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 04:21:21 PM
Good thing is Classic Moras can still be found on the second hand market for around what Cody paid.  I got my 3 for less than $10 total from the local flea market.   

:o  Wow!  That serious is a great score!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 04:24:11 PM
Right? The flea market is still a great place for me to score some silly deals. I stopped posting in a thread I started years ago about my flea market deals since it was a little embarrassing for me.  I felt like I was bragging or showing off. 

The auction sites however are still a great source for these knives.   

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 04:30:49 PM
Right? The flea market is still a great place for me to score some silly deals. I stopped posting in a thread I started years ago about my flea market deals since it was a little embarrassing for me.  I felt like I was bragging or showing off. 

The auction sites however are still a great source for these knives.   

But with the online bidding, I think the good old flea market probably is still the place to find good deal.  I always read fascinating story of people finding amazing deal in pawn shops or estate sale.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 04:35:01 PM
I found a diamond ring  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00