Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello (from) Wisconsin!

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Hello (from) Wisconsin!
on: April 13, 2020, 10:57:07 PM
Hi all! Short time lurker, first time poster here :cheers:

My introduction to the multitool world came 5-6 years ago when my job morphed into facility/production manager for a small food manufacturer here in Madison, WI. Little did I know at the time that I would become our de facto maintenance man, plumber & electrician. Around the same time we purchased our first home, a fixer upper, with an avalanche of ensuing projects.

After a a bit of research, my first EDC multitool purchase was a Skeletool. Worked well-enough for the light machine maintenance, opening boxes and small household projects that I faced on a daily basis and I probably would have happily stuck with it if I hadn't have lost it on a disc golf/camping weekend a few months later. :facepalm:

Unwilling to give up the convenience the Skeletool provided and ready to step up into a more capable tool, I found myself waffling between a Wave and a Surge, ultimately leaning towards the Surge for the larger form factor on the tools. I EDC'd that beast with a pocket clip for several years despite the bulk and grew to love the build quality and versatility. Alas, my trusty Surge befell the same fate as it's smaller cousin, ejecting itself from my pocket due to a wonky pocket clip.

After further assessment of my daily needs and tools actually used the most, and beginning to think I had a Leatherman curse, I jumped ship to a Gerber Center Drive Plus which has been my daily driver for the past 9 months or so. While I miss the fit and finish of the Surge, I've grown to love the addictive flick-to-deploy pliers (has turned into my go-to fidget activity), and beefy one-hand opening blade and driver. Paired with a RAE Gear sheath it has served me well (I just wish it was a little less...rattly). Add in a few supplemental tools (an Ozark Trail Multiforce out of morbid curiosity, Gerber Dime on my keychain and an Irwin 5CR locking multi-pliers) and I'm fully hooked on the multi tool-toting lifestyle!

It's been a while since I dabbled in the forum world (used to be active on various craft beer forums in my younger adulthood), but having stumbled across this fine place to nurture my burgeoning multitool interest and having little else to recreate in these strange pandemic-dominated times, I thought I'd dip my toes in the pool. It has helped pass the time while I wait for my latest, purely unnecessary purchase, the Toler Union, to ship in the next month or so hopefully, 'Rona willing :drool:.

Cheers everyone! :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Hello (from) Wisconsin!
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:14:18 AM
Welcome to :MTO: 43north89west :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 05:52:29 AM
Hello and welcome 43n89w !   :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:18:25 AM
Welcome. Nice journey so far.  I think many of us debate between the Surge and Wave.  Bummer your Surge jumped ship.  I still haven't tried the Center Drive.  Glad you joined up.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD