Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My small collection

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
My small collection
on: April 16, 2020, 07:32:52 PM
Evenin' all  :salute:

I was looking through my meagre collection of LM tools and thought I should take a couple of pics. They are all users and get carried whenever appropriate or permissable (got to love the UK laws  :police: )

I tried to find a suitable thread to add them to but I could only find those posted by those with massive collections, presumably costing thousands  :ahhh However, if any admin sees fit to move this to an existing one then I stand corrected  :dunno:

I would have had several more but, over the years, some have been lost (original PST, Mini) and some given away (original Wave x2, and Charge TTi  :facepalm: )

So, without further ado, here they are;
leatherman collection 20a.jpg
* leatherman collection 20a.jpg (Filesize: 124.02 KB)
leatherman collection 20b.jpg
* leatherman collection 20b.jpg (Filesize: 151.98 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: My small collection
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 08:04:16 PM
Nice collection and great users SurgeUk  :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:19 PM
Nice collection and great users SurgeUk  :like:
:salute: :hatsoff:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:28:04 PM
Nice collection !   :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 09:28:49 PM
We always welcome new threads and no collection is too small !    :cheers:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:47:42 PM
Looks good, SurgeUk!  :like:
It is also great that they not only serve as an interest/hobby but are also useful to you.
 :cheers:

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:56 PM
Very nice. Everyone starts their collection somewhere, and you’re off to a great start!

nl Offline nitram

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:34:26 PM
 :like:

Nice collection, it’s very diverse. Do you have a favorite or is it a horses for course kinda thing?

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 11:21:30 AM
That's a great collection of Leathermans.
There's one for every situation  :like:

A pity you've lost your PST and Mini.
Maybe you'll find them back some time...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 12:25:44 PM
We always welcome new threads and no collection is too small !    :cheers:

:iagree: and great collection as well :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 03:32:02 PM
WAIT, you gave away a TTi?

Nice collection.  I'm glad to see the Squirt front and center  :cheers:.  I also see you have another favorite of mine, the Skeletool CX.  It took me a few tries to bond with the Skeletool but I'm glad I did. 

Bummer you've lost some along the way. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 05:49:15 PM
:like:

Nice collection, it’s very diverse. Do you have a favorite or is it a horses for course kinda thing?
Thanks nitram and good question.

It is quite diverse and it is a kind of horses for courses but I'll try to qualify it a bit and in no particular order;

The Surge: This is my main work EDC. I am a UK Customs Officer and always cutting, prying or breaking things open and, quite frankly, I need something that just gets the job done (I also need the blades to lock and be OHO) The Surge does all three, end of.

The Squirt: This is usually carried around the house (with my SAK PX) I also carry it solo when abroad so as not to fall foul of various country specific laws (mostly Italy & France) It fulfils most tasks, doesn't take up too much pocket space and is very well made.

The Wingman: This was bought because it was on offer, about £35, and therefore a good deal (we get ripped off here in the UK by LM) It's also a back-up for my primary Search & Rescue tool (the Vic' Rescue Tool) as it offers spring loaded pliers which are often needed when lugging other equipment/people. It stays on my SAR duty belt in case I need to abandon my load vest for any reason.

The Skeletool CX: This was a gift, albeit at my behest. I like it because it offers the basic LM tools in a slim and lightweight frame with a decent size OHO blade (although I would have preffered a combi one) It also looks good when opening beers  :drink:

The Juice CS4: I bought this a few years ago (2016) for an "adventure style" picnic that included punting. It performed fantastically (me, not so much :whistle: ) It doesn't get used a great deal because I live in a town centre and have little need for it. However, I got a really good deal on it (£62 on Amazon) and can't see me letting it go.

The OHT: I bought this when it first came out (in the UK) with the intention of carrying it instead of my Surge. However, I just can't seem to gel with it. I find the mechanism too fiddly (compared to my MT600 official work issue) and the primary blades are too short, but I do like the cutting hook. I used it for a few weeks before putting it in semi-retirement. It still comes out if I think I'll need the spring loaded pliers but, other than that... :dunno:

So, in a nutshell, that's it really. They were all bought for a purpose and if, and when that purpose arises, they are used. I don't have enough money to buy two of each and keep one as a shelf Queen so, all are users albeit some barely (Juice & OHT)

I hope that helps and explains my rationale  :salute: 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 06:04:30 PM
That's a great collection of Leathermans.
There's one for every situation  :like:

A pity you've lost your PST and Mini.
Maybe you'll find them back some time...
Thanks McStitchy  :hatsoff:

I lost them both decades ago so any chance of finding them now are well faded. I have considered trying to replace them but most PSTs & MINIs on offer are outside the UK (mainly US) and people won't ship them or companies can't ship them. If only I'd known then what I know now  :facepalm:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 06:16:53 PM
WAIT, you gave away a TTi?

Nice collection.  I'm glad to see the Squirt front and center  :cheers: .  I also see you have another favorite of mine, the Skeletool CX.  It took me a few tries to bond with the Skeletool but I'm glad I did. 

Bummer you've lost some along the way.
Thanks Aloha  :hatsoff:

I do like the Squirt (wouldn't mind a slightly larger version with the same tool set  :think: )

As for the TTi, I bought as soon as it was released to replace my well used Wave (which I also gave away) and then gave that away when Mrs Surge bought my Surge in about 2011/12 (I'm starting to see a pattern developing here  :facepalm: )

All were the originals with no + versions or non-standard colours  ::)

nl Offline nitram

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 07:01:08 PM

I hope that helps and explains my rationale  :salute:
Thank you, that makes perfect sense. The Surge sounds perfect for your work. I bet you see some interesting things too  :)

I do agree with your assessment of the OHT, tools are a bit short and I could never quite get on with it either.

As for shelf queens, you're probably right. Like most kept ladies they are too expensive  ;)

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 08:27:38 PM
Thank you, that makes perfect sense. The Surge sounds perfect for your work. I bet you see some interesting things too  :)

I do agree with your assessment of the OHT, tools are a bit short and I could never quite get on with it either.

As for shelf queens, you're probably right. Like most kept ladies they are too expensive  ;)
I have an Italian "Shelf Queen" and can confirm they are indeed expensive  :iagree: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 08:36:40 PM
Thanks McStitchy  :hatsoff:

I lost them both decades ago so any chance of finding them now are well faded. I have considered trying to replace them but most PSTs & MINIs on offer are outside the UK (mainly US) and people won't ship them or companies can't ship them. If only I'd known then what I know now  :facepalm:

You never know...
I've found my LM Micra after it was lost for some 13 years. It was in the saddle bag of my old Mountainbike   :D

Yeah, used Leathermans and the like, especially the discontinued ones, are hard to get by here  :-\

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 08:56:30 PM
You never know...
I've found my LM Micra after it was lost for some 13 years. It was in the saddle bag of my old Mountainbike   :D

Yeah, used Leathermans and the like, especially the discontinued ones, are hard to get by here  :-\
Unfortunately, the PST was lost whilst in the Army and the Mini whilst in another town.

I gave up looking for the Mini in the 90's (before moving) and the PST is in some "corner of a foreign field that is forever England" (either that or I dropped it in the back of an olive drab Landy somewhere  :dunno: )
Gone but not forgotten... :salute:

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:56 PM
All of those are excellent choices.  :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline David

Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 03:51:50 AM
Nice collection!     8)      :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 01:03:59 PM
Nice collection!     8)      :like:
Thnak you David  :hatsoff:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 02:04:34 PM
Nice collection. :tu:   Very similar to mine (although I don't regard myself as a collector).

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 03:39:13 PM
Nice collection. :tu:   Very similar to mine (although I don't regard myself as a collector).
Thanks Syncop8r  :hatsoff:

Similar? What's different in yours then and why? :pok: Go on, tell us  :whistle:

I wouldn't consider myself a collector in the traditional sense, more an active user type  :dunno:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 09:42:34 PM
I too have a SS Surge, black OHT and Skeletool CX.
OK that's the only similarities. No smaller tools.

My other multitools are an MP400, 1½ OG Supertools, a Vista and a Wenger Ranger.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 01:34:49 PM
My other multitools are an MP400, 1½ OG Supertools, a Vista and a Wenger Ranger.

What is 1/2 a supertool??   :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 01:39:42 PM
What is 1/2 a supertool??   :rofl:
I'll show you sometime...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00