Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3D Printer Blog

Chako · 317 · 17294

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
3D Printer Blog
on: April 17, 2020, 07:49:32 PM
I am thinking of getting into 3D printing. Part of the push is that I can 3D print parts for my Thermaltake P3 case. I thought that was ultra cool...but I do not have anyway of doing this at home.

So i have done a little bit of research and am thinking of possibly getting into 3D printing.

I was at first attracted to the Photon type printers...but have read that dealing with the liquid resin is a horror show, not to mention the health aspects of the resin itself. I also read the post process cleaning is a real bear requiring rubbing alcohol. I was attracted at the quality, but the print size appears to be very small in the lower end printers. I do not want to spend a fortune on this. i am still unsure how often I would use one.

This leads to the filament type printers. Does anyone have any experience that they could pass down to me? Which printer is ok...I am thinking a fairly low budget model would be good for starters. So I have started to look a little on Amazon.ca.

This one is cheap...a Labists X1

https://www.amazon.ca/LABISTS-Entry-Level-Precision-Education-Preloaded/dp/B082KZWYR3/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=3d+Printers&qid=1587145110&sr=8-7

I also like this one, a JGAurora A3S

https://www.amazon.ca/JGAURORA-Assemble-Filament-Detection-Platform/dp/B078JQZLS4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=jgaurora&qid=1587145440&sr=8-2

I am a bit more attracted to the second because it is priced in my budget and is a bit larger print size...both are orange. I like the industrial look of both.

Any suggestions, tips, knowledge, etc I am going to research the hell out of this before I move any further.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: 3D Printer Blog
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:12:28 PM
This was a very helpful starting info point in my own research (which didn't pan out because priorities :D ):
https://m.all3dp.com/1/best-3d-printer-reviews-top-3d-printers-home-3-d-printer-3d/
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:24:32 AM
That link was helpful.

After hours of reading reviews and looking at value and capability, I just bought off of Amazon a Creality Ender 3X 3D printer.

I was very tempted to get an Anycubic Mega Zero 3d printer because it had a 90 dollar off coupon. It has a build volume of 220x220x250mm which was the size I was aiming for. Then I found out it does not come with a heated platform. After reading reviews, it seems that a heated bed is preferred. I also read that the included brick was anemic and got very hot during operation. I was still tempted because of that coupon.

Then I found the Creality Ender 3,which also has a build volume of 220x220x250mm. However this one features a heated platform, and for about the same price as the above printer with coupon, I am getting the 3X version which features a removable tempered glass plate, improved extruder, and 5 extra nozzles. After reading reviews, the Ender 3 appears to be a very nice machine. It certainly has a lot of community support, Now all I have to do is wait for it to come in...expected mid May...possibly longer with all of the Covid 19 affects on the shipping channels.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07V4RTYQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:30:48 AM by Chako »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:19:19 AM
Only saw this now (late to the party as ever :facepalm:)

I bought my 3D printer about 5 years ago, a Conrad Renkforce RF1000.  At the time it had a reasonable following and support in the German speaking countries, and very little outside these. The follow up products were less well supported and not so successful.  I still occasionally use it, but it has never become my main hobby and I haven't followed more recent developments in detail. It still works - it is built like a tank, using mainly aluminium and steel sheeting. The main factor that stops me from using it more is the effort in designing the parts - little experience with CAD tools and too little time to add to it.

I'm glad you went for one with a heated bed, as this is generally considered essential for printing warp prone materials like ABS. You'll probably als need a full enclosure for the same reason - I haven't visited your link yet (typing this on the phone) but I hope yours has it or is prepared for it.

Hope it arrives soon - and good luck with your projects!
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 11:44:05 AM
:popcorn:
Can't wait for pics.

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:04:48 PM
Been contemplating one myself for quite some time... Things stopping me from buying one at the moment:

I know I will be returning to Paris eventually, and it won't likely be something I can stuff into my already overflowing suitcase. So it would join my plotter in the abandoned toy dept here in Spain.

Also, been doing my best to not order anything that is not essential online for delivery, so I have not actually ordered anything since this mess started. If I can't get it locally, I don't really need it at the moment.

Given my electronics background, ideally I want one that can be modded, has lots of support and extras available.

I am also still keen on the idea of a multipurpose machine that will plot, cut, print, cnc, laser... along the lines of these: https://all3dp.com/1/all-in-one-laser-3d-printer-scanner-cutter-engraver-cnc/
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:17:30 PM
That looks like a very neat machine Dutch_Tooler.

Whoey, I have wanted one for the past 10 years but never could see the need for one, that is until I noticed that my Thermaltake P series case has a lot of useful parts that you could make for it, but couldn't buy online. I still know nothing about them, and will be happy to learn once I get the unit in. What I know, the prices have come way down since last I looked into it years ago.

I just hope I don't get into the deep end too quick. I hear the learning curve is steep enough as is.  :dunno:  :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 01:00:43 PM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:30:38 PM
I found this awesome how to build and use the included software of the Ender 3.

This has put my mind at ease quite a lot. I am going to look at this a few more times in the coming week and during the build. I am getting more and more excited for its arrival.

I also found this interesting link about upgrading the printer with some 3D part prints. This looks kinda cool...and I can see this being some of my first parts printed. Not sure what parts are upgraded with the 3X versus the 3, so maybe some of the extruder parts I may not need to upgrade. Only time will tell.

Now all I need to do is buy some filament for the printer. Not sure if I can locate a local source, or buying off of Amazon will be my best choice. More research. :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 12:59:30 PM
:2tu:
Does the printer include a starter supply of filament?

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 01:15:02 PM
Yes it does.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 05:05:34 PM
My recommendation would be to get something with an auto bed leveling function on it.  I have two 3D printers now and they are both a pain in the arse to level the bed properly before each print.

Uneven beds are also the number one cause of catastrophic misprints, and I have the messed up projects to prove it.
 :facepalm:

For the record, I have the aNet a8 printer, which is a fantastic machine if you want to learn how a printer works, make modifications and end up with a collection of replaced, cheap parts that don't work or don't work well.  Virtually every part if the kit is replaceable and upgradeable, and as well you can print upgrade parts on it- if you can get it working in the first place.

The other unit I have is a Monoprice MP Select V2, which is nice, but you can only print very small things with it, you have limited access to the small bed for leveling, the USB port in it comes pre-non-functional from the factory and you have to find an old school micro SD card for it because it won't take SDHC.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 11:45:25 PM
I looked at that, and everything with an auto bed leveling function was out of my price range. I am still not sure if I will like this or not. The Ender 3X was about as much as I was prepared to pay for a starter machine. I wanted something that could possibly print a 120mm-140mm fan shroud for a computer.

I do see there is an auto leveling upgrade for around 100 bucks for the Ender 3 on Amazon. That could be a possible upgrade down the road. I also see they are selling a whisper quiet motherboard for it as well...just how loud is this printer?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 01:25:00 AM
I got two 3D printers, a BCN3D Sigma and a Anycubic Photon resin printer. Of those two the Photon is the most used by far simply because of the much higher resolution and because it gets good result first time and every time. Filament printers like the BCN have a lot more settings to get right for each material, and it can be a lot of hassle to chase down the right settings. Once you have the material down they are fine too though.

Resin printers have a reputation for bad smell and possibly dangerous chemicals. That is somewhat true, but depending on material filament printers have some of the same issues. I don't really care though as they are in their own room with ventilation anyway.

As for resin cleanup that isn't really so messy as it is stinky. I have a gas mask so I just use that, and that kind of solves that issue totally. It is a bit of work though that you don't have to do with filament printers. Simple working gas masks can be had for very little these days. (Well, maybe not these days but normal days).

Overall though the resin printer is used a lot more than the filament one so for me at least the preference is clear. It might be mentioned that neither of these printers are projects but ready to go printers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:45:11 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 02:19:11 AM
I looked up the price on that BCN3D printer!  :ahhh

I would think you would have to be very serious to get one of those. I am just dipping my toes into this to see if I can get along with the technology. If I like it, and get fairly good results with the Creality Ender 3X, maybe I might see myself getting into resin printers down the road.

I also looked up that aNET a8. I would think building that might be beyond my skill level Def. That is a full on kit. The Ender 3X is a partial build. Nothing crazy like that.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 02:38:48 AM
I looked up the price on that BCN3D printer!  :ahhh

Wow. They used to a fair bit less than the price these days. (Not that it was ever really an inexpensive option - but it was one made to plug and play).

I would think you would have to be very serious to get one of those.

Work related so I'd say serious enough. It provides some extra options for making parts, prototypes or fixtures locally. Usually in combination with other processes though.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 02:41:47 AM
I just gotta stick my nose in this subject to see what’s going on, I’d love one but really have no reason for one, I mean besides having that custom forming tool made, but other then that idk what I would make? Let alone come up with the $$ for one of those things dang!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:42 AM
.. I’d love one but really have no reason for one, I mean besides having that custom forming tool made, but other then that idk what I would make?

I've actually wondered about the same? What do most people make with these printers? I think that for many the 3D printer and technology in itself might be the project?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 03:06:57 AM
I hear you. I don't really see a need for one either...but that never stopped me from wanting one for a decade now. Bidding my time for prices to come down and the technology to mature. If I was in the US, I would have had one ages ago. Canadian prices tend to tack on $100+ over US prices. That means the Ender 3 is 200 US, but 300 Canadian. I know I want to print a piece or two for my Thermaltake P3 computer case. Thinking mostly of adding another fan to blow air across the VRMs. You can print a fan holder that will attach to the glass mount holders. After that, not sure, other than to experiment and hopefully get some new skills (thinking something along the lines of CAD to possibly make new things if I get that far). This could translate into something I can use for my classroom in terms of a new skill or something..

I also wanted to say I just bought 2 1Kg rolls of PLA filament, a red and black. Thinking the red would do nicely with the red computer case. Just got to wait for it from Amazon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 03:15:42 AM by Chako »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 03:17:34 AM
After that, not sure, other than to experiment and hopefully get some new skills.

I've bought and tried many things over the years for those exact reasons so that makes plenty of sense. :cheers:

If BCN ever comes around to making a ceramic nozzle for the Sigma I might get one to try for the same reasons. I would make the worst ceramic ever, but I'd call it art and give orrible xmas gifts to everyone! :)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 11:27:48 AM
I can't wait to get it in. Telling me it should arrive mid next month...just not sure how the COVID 19 Amazon shipping restrictions will play havoc with that date.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 12:48:38 PM
We have an Ender 3, and love it.  We print a ton of scale accessories for our RC's.  Ones of the best and cheapest upgrades to get is the upgraded bed leveling springs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 12:58:26 PM
I will most definitely keep that in mind. I can see myself trying the stock first and then upgrading down the road.

I just found this video on bed leveling.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 02:20:56 AM
I am doing it again. I just bought a few key upgrades for a printer I haven't even received yet.

So far, this is what I have on the way...around the same time as the printer should be arriving...mid next month if all goes well.

1. BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V1.2 Control Board 32Bit with TMC2209 UART Driver 3D Printer Parts Cheetah for Creality Ender 3. From what I have seen online, this cheap board is a big upgrade to the one that the printer comes in. Doesn't seem to be all that difficult to swap either.

2. BIGTREETECH TFT35 E3 V3.0 Graphic Smart Display Controller Board for Creality Ender 3. If I am going to upgrade the motherboard, I may as well go a step further and upgrade the LCD user interface. This is made to go with the above board.

And the main reason for all of this...the board fixes some of the issues with the BLTouch auto bed leveling sensor added to an Ender 3 printer. I have read that once you install the little daughter board, you cannot close your cover. The above motherboard has it built in.

3. Creality 3D Upgraded BLTouch Auto Bed Leveling Sensor Kit Accessories for Creality 3D Ender 3

I still think I should run it stock for a while and then do the upgrades. When it is time, i will have them in short term storage. That is the plan anyways.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 24, 2020, 02:17:07 AM
It will be interesting to hear what you think about the machine and 3D printing when you get going.  :popcorn:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 09:50:27 AM
I just checked, and everything should be arriving mid next month...and nothing has shipped as of yet. I hope I will be getting this stuff sooner than later. Only time will tell,. I upgraded the springs wile I was at it last night.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 25, 2020, 12:52:23 AM
Nothing has shipped yet, thus at this point, i imagine getting the printer mid May might be a stretch. Too bad. I have so much time on my hands right now. Teaching my classes at home is terribly efficient that I am amazed at how I can do that and still have half the day to myself. Missing my students terribly as well.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 12:50:32 PM
Ok, it is official, I am getting the jitters. I just visited Amazon, and still not shipped yet. The date of arrival has not changed from mid May. The listing also stated "currently unavailable" from the seller Comgrow. Now I am having these very slight existential arguments with self wondering if I did indeed buy one, or am on a waiting list to perdition.  :ahhh

Bought on Friday April 17 and still not shipped. I think deep down, i am harbouring hope that I am being torpedoes by the COVID-19 Amazon policy and not the above scenario.  :facepalm:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #28 on: April 29, 2020, 05:44:21 PM
I have placed 2 orders this past week, half the first one came the following day, the second one 2 days after the order, and the remaining part of the initial order is only half shipped.

Mostly replacement PC parts, but kind of essential given that all the shops are closed.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 10:43:57 PM
Looks like I should be getting the printer this Friday. Everything else will range from mid May to early June. Even so, I am stoked to get the printer in.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44