Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3D Printer Blog 6815

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,650 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: 3D Printer Blog
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »
hmmm...

Both Ender 3s now have the same firmware but slightly different menus.  :think:

I tried updating the Pro to the most recent and it will not update. I bet because it notices that the SD card firmware version is the same as the one already installed, so it will not do the update. There shows a month difference in the dates however, and I gather there was some updates in that months time to reflect the slightly different menu options. Nothing too serious however. At least there is no difference in the classic mode. The slight differences only show up on the touch screen side.

Testing both printers out now with a 7 hour bowl print.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
IMG_8839A by Chako, on Flickr

« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
Just finished. I do not have much of the red PLA left on the spool.

IMG_8847A by Chako, on Flickr

« Reply #273 on: July 28, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »
The Ender 3 Pro comes with a magnetic build plate that I didn't much care for. I tried it once, and quickly placed a glass plate on top of the glued magnetic mat that covers the heated aluminium bed. I have found that the glass build plate glues itself to this lower magnetic sheet something fierce however. Today, I struggled to separate the glass from the base, more so than in removing the printed bowl from the glass plate. I got fed up with the situation and started to peel that glued magnetic surface. It took some time and patience...

IMG_8848A by Chako, on Flickr

Now there should be no more issues of the glass plate gluing itself to that magnetic under-layer.

IMG_8850A by Chako, on Flickr

« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2020, 10:21:15 AM »
Received my 5 promised nozzles that should have came with the first Ender 3X. It only took several months.

« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2020, 06:02:12 AM »
Update time. I did finally receive my upgrade metal bed adjustment knobs about a month ago. I have not installed them yet but will soon do that. With that in mind, after waiting 6 months or so for them, I ordered another set from a different seller to keep the Ender 3 Pro the same. I just hope these do not take half a year to get to me!

With that said, I have re-started printing. I got into 3D printing as something to keep me sane when COVID 19 struck. Since work started in September, I have not devoted any time to 3D printing, but now that I am on my holiday vacation...time to get back into the swing of things. During the months of inactivity, the black PLA broke off at the extruder on the Pro. In hindsight I should have removed the PLA from both printers and stored them properly. I did finish the red PLA in the Ender 3, and that came out great as a nice bowl. I then reloaded the black in the same machine and am currently printing my most ambitious print to date. So far 3/4 the way through a 23 hour print. Even though the black PLA broke on the other machine, and because of this, I did not have much expectations, it is working well so far.

So, back into printing stuff, and still slowly upgrading both machines.

« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2020, 06:25:32 AM »
Here is a photo of my longest print to date. I wanted to try this female figure to see if the printer was capable of something like this. Not doing a bad job. There is a bit of light stringing here and there, but that is to be expected on something like this. I imagine a light toothbrushing afterwards under some water will removed most of it. I am still in awe at how intricate you can print items. I think that will never get old with me.

20201229_001704A by Chako, on Flickr

Yikes, I only have 4 more photos on my free Flickr account. Guess I may have to start paying for that service soon.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:47:53 AM by Chako »

No Life Club Posts: 1,592
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »
I am still in awe at how intricate you can print items.

Then you should really try resin printing. Decent machines doesn't cost much these days, and as far as details go it is at different level.

I did some ABS printing recently. I haven't done that in years, and the filament was years old too, but they turned out ok. Many old filaments can get refreshed by a few hours to dry in an oven, but I didn't even have to bother with that.

"Simple is hard"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
The printers are cheap enough but I use my living room and am wary of the smell and toxicity of resin. I have no windows close by.

The print just finished 10 minutes ago. I let the glass plate cool of to room temperature and still could not remove it safely. I ran the plate under cold water and the model just poped off on it's own. I love the use of a glue stick on the smooth side of the glass plate.

« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »
I believe there are some resins around now which addresses those issues but I haven't tried any of them myself. My printers are well separated from living areas so not really much of a concern for me. (And I have gas masks if needed too).

I thought about trying some of those metal sintering filaments to make actual metal parts, but the pricing of those were well beyond curiosity or reason for my use. Hopefully they'll come down to useful levels at some point.

"Simple is hard"
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
Metal sintering is definitely priced out of the range of most people.

« Reply #281 on: December 30, 2020, 06:27:34 AM »
Metal sintering is definitely priced out of the range of most people.

The big machines certainly are, but you can get filaments for normal filament printers that can then be sintered in normal furnaces. Detail levels, issues with shrinking and deforming and so one would be a challenge for sure, but the process might make certain parts and materials interesting. But with the prices for those filaments being what they are they don't make sense to me compared to say more detailed lost wax casting or just using metal printing services. Others might have more suitable use cases I assume.

I do like the development though - metal printing seem to become closer and more affordable every year.

"Simple is hard"
« Reply #282 on: December 30, 2020, 12:44:12 PM »
If someone told me you could buy an awesome 3D printer for around 300 dollars, I would have laughed. The march of progress.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,955 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2021, 07:59:49 PM »
If someone told me you could buy an awesome 3D printer for around 300 dollars, I would have laughed. The march of progress.

Yeah, but still...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »
 :rofl:  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60