Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3D Printer Blog

Chako · 317 · 17433

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: 3D Printer Blog
Reply #90 on: May 19, 2020, 01:25:03 AM
It seem like you are off to a good start.

There are reference models available that tests various characteristics of your printer and material so it will be easier to find good settings, limits and orientation for parts and supports. (Typically some parts with various degrees of overhang, bridges, details and so on).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #91 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:08 AM
Do you mean the little tugboat called the Benchy? I haven't tried one of those yet.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: May 19, 2020, 03:39:20 AM
No, there are models that are made specifically to have more gradual and systematic reference tests of common key points.

This test of some filament has one such model for instance (there are many):

https://3dwithus.com/3d-printing-test/3d-printing-test-wood-filament

You might want such a reference model that you can use as a consistent reference when you try out different materials and settings. A model with overhangs, bridges, thin bosses, holes in different sizes and directions, round parts.. I'm sure someone will have cooked up a fairly complete model by now?

Edit: This video seem to give some general ideas: (I didn't watch through all of it).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: May 19, 2020, 04:59:33 AM
Oh I see. I will look into that further. So far, I cannot complain with the results I am getting. After doing a lot of reading, I knew there was a steep learning curve. What I didn't know was that most of it was going to be with the software.

Just finished printing another part to improve the printer. Not sure if this popular print is there to make the power supply fan quieter, or just for looks...but either way, I must admit is does look a lot nicer than a simple hole in the power supply. I even printed off the embossed version much like the much more needed control box cooling fan guard. I run a sharpie on the raised edges to pull out the details.

Yesterdays part with a bit of sharpie applied. This part is much needed to prevent plastic bits from entering and possibly damaging the mother board and the fan. Printed nicely with no supports, and only the obligatory skirt. I noticed that during my few days of use, the bed itself got out of level. The skirt...which is only a thin line that goes around the  project, looked very thin on the right hand side. I was able to print this part as well as a extruder knob with no issues. However, I did not it was harder to remove the part from the glass bed. I learned something there. If the space is too close between the nozzle and the bed, it will be a lot harder to remove the part from the printing bed.

IMG_8480A by Chako, on Flickr

Today's print with a few minutes to level the bed beforehand. I found it a lot easier this time to level the bed. Once again, I used no supports other than a skirt. This time around, the skirt looked really good. I fell asleep watching TV in the same room as the printer. When I woke, the bed and nozzle had already cooled down and all was finished. The part simply popped right off the glass bed. Another lesson there. I should wait for the bed to cool down before removing a part, as it should come off easier. Patience is a virtue. Here is the power supply fan silencer installed and sharpied.

IMG_8481A by Chako, on Flickr

I am also learning just how much filament there is on a 1Kg spool, and just how many projects you can do with that much.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:06:05 AM by Chako »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #94 on: May 19, 2020, 12:26:44 PM
I haven't printed the power supply fan cover yet.  Did it make it any quieter??

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: May 19, 2020, 02:45:03 PM
I think it did, but the fans on the extruder are still loud.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #96 on: May 19, 2020, 04:52:56 PM
In the process of printing a storage drawer designed to fit the front empty space on the right between the LCD panel and the Y axis arm.

IMG_8482A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8483A by Chako, on Flickr

My original plan was to do all the printer upgrades in black, and to learn with the red filament and to create my computer parts using it as my computer case is red. I ordered 2 black PLA 1Kg rolls of filament from Amazon, which was supposed to be in last Friday. Of course nothing is on time anymore because of COVID 19 and the probably big hit from everyone buying online these days. I will say, black and red for a 3D printer is a flashy combo, albeit not planned.

I had wanted a 3D printer for about 10 years now...and kept putting it off till prices went down, and the tech matured. I also wondered what I could possibly want to print or to put a 3D printer to use. Well now that I have one, the possibilities are limitless. I can even create simple parts from scratch using TinkerCad. Mind officially blown!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: May 19, 2020, 06:10:16 PM
The print just finished, and it was a success. This will give me some much needed storage space and it is locked into the printer and slides in and out for ease of access.

IMG_8487A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8486A by Chako, on Flickr

All that I think I need to do is to print out a tool holder that will hang off the gantry and I think I have the printer where I need it for now. I will print an LCD back protective cover once I get the BigTreeTech motherboard, then I can install the newer LCD that I already have...seeing that it has a USB and a SD card slot on the right hand side...which will be a big upgrade compared to the awkwardly placed micro SD card on the front.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: May 20, 2020, 03:42:18 AM
Here is the tool holder. Lots of designs out there, but to me, placing it on the gantry is the best place. Surprisingly enough, the printer came with a pair of screws and anchors that were not required in the build...and this tool holder puts them to good use.

IMG_8491A by Chako, on Flickr

Room for a few extra drivers, etc.

IMG_8488A by Chako, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:48:34 AM by Chako »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: May 20, 2020, 09:28:01 AM
That looks both handy and organized. :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 11:35:53 AM
Agreed.

Painted quickly Yoda. The flash overpowered the brown on his coat and brought the red to the forefront. He looks a lot nicer in person. Now I have Yoda doing his little dance when the machine pulls filament. Kinda cute...and it is always a good thing to have the force with you at all times.  :rofl:

IMG_8494A by Chako, on Flickr

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #101 on: May 20, 2020, 07:20:00 PM
much better...

kinda glad I held back, back to Paris Monday  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 09:43:06 PM
Shipments are all wonky right now anyhow. If it isn't Amazon holding on a package for a few weeks too long, it is Canada Post snailing it to me. I mean, packaged that linger at a location for a few days, etc. I know they are overburdened. It just is frustrating. I am still waiting for those 2 rolls of PLA which I was supposed to have last Friday.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #103 on: May 21, 2020, 12:55:49 PM
I wanted to print a little flexi Rex key-chain last night, I kept getting a non-manifold error in Cura. When I sliced it, and reviewed it, it looked good. However, when I went to print it, I got a lot of spaghetti filament lay-down,.I aborted the print twice and gave up. I even re-leveled my print bed. I did that because the filament was not sticking to the bed as it should.

Well I woke up this morning and tried something else. That worked out great. So I take it anytime I come across a manifold error, I should drop it quick like a ticking potato masher and move onto something easier. I will look into what a manifold error is as well.  :facepalm:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: May 21, 2020, 10:05:28 PM
I wanted to print a little flexi Rex key-chain last night, I kept getting a non-manifold error in Cura. When I sliced it, and reviewed it, it looked good. However, when I went to print it, I got a lot of spaghetti filament lay-down,.I aborted the print twice and gave up. I even re-leveled my print bed. I did that because the filament was not sticking to the bed as it should.

Well I woke up this morning and tried something else. That worked out great. So I take it anytime I come across a manifold error, I should drop it quick like a ticking potato masher and move onto something easier. I will look into what a manifold error is as well.  :facepalm:

Non-manifold errors are usually caused by the 3D modelling not being clean (as in keeping it simple with just the operations needed), not being tight (as in waterproof solid models) or tolerances being too large for the printing program to accept joined edges as actually being joined. (That said I think some 3D printing programs might introduce some issues all by themselves with less than optimal slicing).

Once you start doing your own 3D modelling you can make your own stuff and avoid faulty models.  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #105 on: May 22, 2020, 01:17:34 AM
10-4.

Today, I printed 3 ear savers for mask wearing. They turned out very nice.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #106 on: May 22, 2020, 04:56:53 AM
This is what they look like.

IMG_8497A by Chako, on Flickr

Also got a package in today, and still not my filament in black either...sigh. However, when I bought this 3X, the seller promised 5 nozzles. Seeing that they seller COMGROW hasn't  responded to my email, I decided to buy some extra. Now I have 24 of them in various sizes.

IMG_8500A by Chako, on Flickr

Along with the nozzles came the metal extruder kit.

IMG_8501A by Chako, on Flickr

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #107 on: May 22, 2020, 05:51:41 AM
Nice earsaver.  I purchased a bunch of earsavers and gave them to  a couple nurses I know.  They gave them away at a couple local hospitals and said them were greatly appreciated.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #108 on: May 22, 2020, 12:18:12 PM
Found this on Reddit, looks like a fun thing to try!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: May 23, 2020, 01:02:27 AM
Found this on Reddit, looks like a fun thing to try!
(Image removed from quote.)

Now my head hurts...   :think: :think:

The only way I can think of making that is Photoshop.  :dunno:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: May 24, 2020, 03:04:56 AM
Just did the all metal extruder upgrade. That went fairly easy, and now I do not have to worry about plastic parts getting eaten by moving filament.  :woohoo:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: May 24, 2020, 09:26:45 AM
Now my head hurts...   :think: :think:

The only way I can think of making that is Photoshop.  :dunno:
Forced perspective. :)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:547580

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: May 24, 2020, 10:57:44 AM
Forced perspective. :)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:547580

Agh! My head! Again!!

That is a fun one!  :cheers:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #113 on: May 24, 2020, 01:11:14 PM
I tried a different Flexi Rex and this one turned out great. No manifold errors on this one.

IMG_8504A by Chako, on Flickr

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: May 24, 2020, 03:06:23 PM
:like:
Cute thing.

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: May 24, 2020, 07:26:54 PM
Nice one :) Now I feel inspired to do something with a 3D printer, but lack actual inspiration for things to make..  :facepalm:

Maybe a hammer? Some keychain thing? A holder for varies small tool tidbits?

I think I need to sit passively in front of the TV for a while until opportunity knocks or o'inspiration hits.. It has never happened yet, but there is a first for everything I've been told.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: May 24, 2020, 08:15:30 PM
I just can't wait to get something other than red.

Vidar, take a look at thingiverse.

I found a Japanese artist on thingiverse who has great talent making figurines. Lots of them are nudes mind you, but I would like to try one or two down the road. Look up COLOR3DJP.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:22:55 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #117 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:23 PM
Received my 2 rolls of black PLA today. I didn't know Canada Post delivered packages on a Sunday.  :ahhh

Best part, I saw the out for delivery message on my cell phone, and discounted it as a mere flight of fantasy. I rechecked an hour later and it stated delivered.  :think:

I go to my house and see nothing. I figured I may as well do a tour of the property and sure enough, it was hidden on the side of my house. Good think I decided to look under rocks just in case.  :facepalm:

On the other hand, happy that I now have some black.  :D

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #118 on: May 25, 2020, 01:34:42 AM

Hi Chako,

Just came across this.  I bought an Anycubic delta printer 2 years ago, and recieved a box o'parts!  In the end, it was a good thing for me though, as I learned a lot about why things happen- and what to do to fix.  Not that I'm any expert, just took a different tack.
We use Solid Edge 3D software at work, so I have a slight advantage over some when making the original model.  That said, I use Fusion 360 at home.  It's free, and more than adequate for making simple geegaws to make life better.  Or at least more interesting.
Try to keep your PLA in something sealed when not in use- especially in the humid summer.  I have two spools that are too brittle to use, until I can get them dried out again.

Cheers,

dc
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: May 25, 2020, 01:34:53 AM
I just can't wait to get something other than red.

Vidar, take a look at thingiverse.

I found a Japanese artist on thingiverse who has great talent making figurines. Lots of them are nudes mind you, but I would like to try one or two down the road. Look up COLOR3DJP.

I'm generally into making stuff myself, and preferably something useful at that. That said that Thingiverse place seems to have a bit of everything, and if something handy is already made then all the easier.

Hm. I might need some kind of gripping wheel to roll some rebar into even round arcs. That seems like a half good plan.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%