Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small SAK recommendation

Pop · 32 · 1050

us Offline Pop

Small SAK recommendation
on: April 19, 2020, 05:07:47 AM
suppose you were in the market for a sub-84mm SAK. It would be used for unscrewing battery compartments in toys, cutting food into toddler sized bites, opening mail, general suburban dad stuff. What would you buy yourself? I'm leaning towards the executive, but I'm open to suggestions.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Small SAK recommendation
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 05:19:04 AM
The Executive is a great knife Pop, but if you are looking for a nice Philips head screwdriver along with a bottle opener, you can't beat a Rambler.
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 05:37:58 AM
 :iagree: That small Philips should be very helpful. The Executive has only the tip of the orange peeler as a screwdriver, and is because of that bad for recessed screws.

My vote goes to the Rambler or Minichamp if you want even more utility  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 06:15:43 AM
Some get along with the main blade of a 58mm but its quite small, tho over all the 58s do punch above their weight class.  That said, I am a huge fan of the Manager and have carried on now for years.  The Rambler and Minichamp are both awesome as well. 

I no longer have an Executive but theres quite a following for it.  That being said, I'd place a strong vote for the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest.  Its a wonderful SAK that in many ways is the Goldie Locks between Victorinox 74mm and 58mm offerings.  At 65mms its got a decent blade and some great implements.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:41:10 AM
I think the short answer is, it depends.

First, you're obviously giving up some capability in favor of ease of carry/pocket-ability by limiting yourself to something less than 84mm.  That said, if you think you'll be using the screwdrivers a lot, then I agree with those previous posters who have suggested that a Rambler, Manager, or Minichamp would provide the most versatility available in a sub-84mm package.

For food use, however, a really short blade can be a disadvantage, so if you think cutting up food is going to be a frequent task, you might be better served by a longer (at least 74mm) knife.  The Executive is certainly the most capable option in what are are clearly a limited number of 74mm options.

If you're wondering how the main blades on different size SAKs stack up:

(Top to bottom:  120mm, 111mm, 93mm, 91mm, 85mm, 84mm, 74mm, 58mm)
vic_blades.jpg
* vic_blades.jpg (Filesize: 148.7 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 03:45:33 PM
Some get along with the main blade of a 58mm but its quite small, tho over all the 58s do punch above their weight class.  That said, I am a huge fan of the Manager and have carried on now for years.  The Rambler and Minichamp are both awesome as well. 

I no longer have an Executive but theres quite a following for it.  That being said, I'd place a strong vote for the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest.  Its a wonderful SAK that in many ways is the Goldie Locks between Victorinox 74mm and 58mm offerings.  At 65mms its got a decent blade and some great implements.     

Forgot the Pocket Tool Chest, that would be a good one too. Somebody have a comparison pic of the blades of PTC, Minichamp and Executive? :popcorn:

Offline JK

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 04:05:41 PM
suppose you were in the market for a sub-84mm SAK. It would be used for unscrewing battery compartments in toys, cutting food into toddler sized bites, opening mail, general suburban dad stuff. What would you buy yourself? I'm leaning towards the executive, but I'm open to suggestions.

I do all that a lot and for the toddler feeding but I'd recommend an 84mm. Either a Bantam / Waiter or a small Tinker. If you are less into chopping apples and sausages, I'd recommend the Manager. It has the indispensable suburban tool that I barely ever need but the few times I do I'm glad to have it: the pen. The small Phillips is not that good for many toddler battery compartments but the combo tool of an 84mm does a cracking job.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 04:25:42 PM
Rambler or Manager. Pound for pound of the most capable SAKs. I used to carry one at work as a back up. Often got into places other MTs or SAKs couldn't
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 05:02:10 PM
My feelings on Manager, PTC, 74mm Vic ( I don't have Exe ).

The difference in blade from the 58mm Vic and the 74mm Vic noticeable in usage. 
The difference in blade from the 58mm Vic and the 65mm Wenger noticeable in usage.   
The difference in blade from the 65mm Wenger and the 74mm Vic noticeable in use but less that the 58mm.

When I compare usage feel on the 58mm to the others I can feel a difference.  The 74mm feel like a much bigger blade as compared to both 58mm and 65mm.  The 65mm is a great compromise for me if all I want to carry is a small SAK.  The diversity of tools is very good.  This doesn't mean the 58mm for me is useless as it has its place. 

I do think the Vagabond would be a great SAK as well as it has the best of the Minichamp without the extras that may go unused.     

In my option its hard to determine which is best when only looking at measurements.  In use feel is what best helped my decision.       
IMG_0589.jpg
* IMG_0589.jpg (Filesize: 266.8 KB)
IMG_0590.jpg
* IMG_0590.jpg (Filesize: 213.84 KB)
IMG_0591.jpg
* IMG_0591.jpg (Filesize: 281.9 KB)
IMG_0592.jpg
* IMG_0592.jpg (Filesize: 229.09 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Pop

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 05:13:41 PM
I do all that a lot and for the toddler feeding but I'd recommend an 84mm. Either a Bantam / Waiter or a small Tinker. If you are less into chopping apples and sausages, I'd recommend the Manager. It has the indispensable suburban tool that I barely ever need but the few times I do I'm glad to have it: the pen. The small Phillips is not that good for many toddler battery compartments but the combo tool of an 84mm does a cracking job.

I've got a few 84,91, and 93mm's. I agree the 84 is a great size for cutting up apples and all that. I just want to try a smaller knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 05:41:53 PM
Can't say enough good things about the little SAKs.  The narrowness ( spine to edge ) of blade on the little SAKs is wonderful. 

The 58mm Vic to me it feels little in use because of shortness and narrowness.  Its great for a lot of tasks but IMO cutting up food is not one of those task I'd use it for.  I do use to for halving and quartering my dogs meds tho.   

The 65mm Wenger is also narrow yet feels noticeably "bigger" if that makes sense as compared to the 58mm Vic.  IF we are just talking edge between the 58mm Vic and the 65mm Wenger, in use I can feel a difference. 

Interestingly, the 58mm Vic blade, tang and edge nearly fits on the 65mm Wenger edge only.  The 65mm Wenger tang and edge nearly fits on the 74mm Vic blade edge only.  The 58mm Vic blade tang and edge easily fits on the 74mm Vic edge only with edge left exposed.       

IMG_0597.jpg
* IMG_0597.jpg (Filesize: 293.3 KB)
IMG_0598.jpg
* IMG_0598.jpg (Filesize: 306.25 KB)
IMG_0599.jpg
* IMG_0599.jpg (Filesize: 321.27 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 05:45:43 PM
I hope you can tell which is which?  The Wenger should be clear as it has the tang stamp.  The ruby one is the Manager.  I tried to take a pic of the 74mm with the Vic shield. 

Edge to edge comparisons.  While the difference are not substantial I have to again say "in use feel" is where the differences are for me.   

IMG_0593.jpg
* IMG_0593.jpg (Filesize: 281.52 KB)
IMG_0594.jpg
* IMG_0594.jpg (Filesize: 244.53 KB)
IMG_0595.jpg
* IMG_0595.jpg (Filesize: 252.6 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 06:01:29 PM
Thanks for the comparison photos, Aloha, very helpful  :hatsoff:

us Offline Pop

Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 06:35:51 PM
How is the pull on the Wengers? The stronger spring is one reason I was considering the 74s over the 58s.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 06:37:30 PM
In the last 10 years I've carried 74's 65's and 58's. Here's my experience with all three sizes.

74mm
Pros: the blade is long enough to slice an apple or burger easier then the 65 or 58mm.

Cons: It's to big for a keychain, it doesn't fit my change pocket and it rides sideways at the bottom of my main pocket. For me it's the more cumbersome to carry then the 58 or 65mm.
It's the least useful tool set of the three sizes. The only screw driver in the whole line is the small serrated blade SD. The whole time I carried my executive I never found a screw it fit.

65mm
Pros: The 65mm tool set has the most useful SD combo of the three sizes. The combo tool fits the Phillips screws on kids toys perfectly. It also makes a better prying tool then anything in the 58 or 74mm line for when that battery compartment is encrusted with apple juice.
It has an AWL.

Cons: The Wenger Pocket Tool Chest is out of production. The scale tools are less useful then the 58mm.

58mm
Pros: The Screwdrivers on the 58mm ( Rambler and bigger) is almost perfect for most of the screws you find day to day and the first time you use the 58mm Phillips driver you'll understand why it's so popular. The SD on the file fits the battery compartment of kids toys.

The 58mm line has the most useful scale tools of the three ( flashlight pen, T&T).

Cons: The small blade of the 58mm can make it hard to slice an apple or burger.  The thin large SD tip can make it harder to apply a lot of torque to some screws because it's so thin.

My personal favorite is the Pocket Tool Chest. But it's out of production so I've learned to get by with a Rambler or Minichamp.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
* _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (Filesize: 123.21 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 06:45:27 PM
How is the pull on the Wengers? The stronger spring is one reason I was considering the 74s over the 58s.

I've never noticed a difference in the springs of the two sizes. It's never been an issue for me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 06:54:44 PM
 :iagree: Mind you I also get my SAK on the second hand market. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 06:56:10 PM
:iagree: Mind you I also get my SAK on the second hand market.

As do I.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 06:57:59 PM
 :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline EMarkM

Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:11:38 PM

My vote goes to the Rambler or Minichamp if you want even more utility

Pretty much word-for-word what I was about to say.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 07:15:07 PM
I love my small Victorinox knives, but I have to say that for any kind of food prep, the wider blade of the larger models is extremely nice to have. I would suggest an alox cadet. You can use the tip of the nail file as a small phillips. It also pairs well with an alox classic for the scissors.

However, I know that’s not what you’re after. I love my executive. The little serrated blade is a nice feature. The tip of the file is useful for small phillips, but not as useful as the full 3d Phillips on models like the minichamp.

us Offline Pop

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 07:24:45 PM
I love my small Victorinox knives, but I have to say that for any kind of food prep, the wider blade of the larger models is extremely nice to have. I would suggest an alox cadet. You can use the tip of the nail file as a small phillips. It also pairs well with an alox classic for the scissors.

However, I know that’s not what you’re after. I love my executive. The little serrated blade is a nice feature. The tip of the file is useful for small phillips, but no
t as useful as the full 3d Phillips on models like the minichamp.
Carrying the cadet is one reason for this post. I purchased a cadet to carry around the house to save a little weight in my pocket while I'm around the house. That got me to thinking as how small I could go and still be satisfied with it as a carry knife.

Offline JK

Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 07:35:35 PM
I've got a few 84,91, and 93mm's. I agree the 84 is a great size for cutting up apples and all that. I just want to try a smaller knife.

If you already have a Waiter, Bantam or Small Tinker, get yourself a Manager / Rambler. If you find the blade to be too small for the toddler food prep, pair it with one of the compact 84s. Plus the combo tool does a lot of jar prying and screwing that you wouldn't do on the 58.

Offline JK

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 07:36:34 PM
Carrying the cadet is one reason for this post. I purchased a cadet to carry around the house to save a little weight in my pocket while I'm around the house. That got me to thinking as how small I could go and still be satisfied with it as a carry knife.

Alox Bantam?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 07:51:51 PM
If you already have a Waiter, Bantam or Small Tinker, get yourself a Manager / Rambler. If you find the blade to be too small for the toddler food prep, pair it with one of the compact 84s. Plus the combo tool does a lot of jar prying and screwing that you wouldn't do on the 58.

That's what I do. Walker with a PTC, MC or Rambler. It gives me a great tool set with minimal weight.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
* _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (Filesize: 115.24 KB)

Offline tonyg

Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:30 PM
Not sure I'd want to cut food and open mail with the same blade. Not these days anyway.

us Offline Pop

Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 08:09:03 PM
Alox Bantam?

I've owned a few but they're so slim they tend to slip out of my pocket. I need to get a pair of 84mm scissors for a voyageur mod on one.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 05:30:35 AM
I like the Rambler for everything but the blade. I find it generally too small and I don't like how it flexes sometimes. A 74mm Rambler would be brilliant, Victorinox!  :pok:
Rambler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 06:40:07 AM
Heck I'd love to see the 74mm line get a big boost. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #29 on: April 21, 2020, 05:22:09 AM
Absolutely!  I've always thought a 74mm Minichamp would be great!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD