Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's YOUR EDC Timeline?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: What's YOUR EDC Timeline?
Reply #30 on: April 07, 2020, 04:59:38 PM
Given that this is an EDC timeline thread, here is my wallet timeline. From big and bulky to my first minimalist wallet, a so called 'magic' wallet which to be frank is still and excellent little solution. Then onto the Verge wallet shown above and finally to the Kisetsu Natsu wallet, the one shown is the one I got from their kickstarter, it was ok but not anywhere near as polished as the later version I have now and the leather was cheap and nasty. The pictures below that are of my current one in Crazy Horse leather, albeit when new. It will hold 7 cards, 4 coins and 5-6 notes at max while still being smaller than anything else I've ever seen. It really is a genius design very well made. The leather finally starting to go is totally my fault, I do tend to overload it with coins. :)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:14:46 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline Taschenmesser

Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:13 PM
I don’t think I can put all the details of 50 years into one post but here’s a short list of the highlights.

1971: The little blue Camillus Cub Scout knife.  EDC’d  through high school along with many, many cheapie Japanese single Blade folders.

1982 thru 1987:  Uncle Henry Bear Paw.  Old Timer Stockman.   Collecting and carrying Case.  Top Case knife, 6445R

1987 thru 1990:  Case 6111 1/2L and getting into Automatics.  Leatherman,  I was aware but multitools were not a thing for me. 

1990 to now:  Automatics mostly but with a ton of Benchmades, Leathermans and some SAKs as well.  Also McGizmo lights.

Today:  Hubertus Custom Hunter from Muskrat Man.

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 06:48:34 PM
I mostly spewed my EDC timeline in my new member post but to recap:

LM Skeletool (Primary EDC, Lost)

LM Surge (Primary EDC, Lost)

Irwin 5CR Multipliers (cheap curiosity mostly, but keep them in my desk drawer at work in case locking pliers needed)

Gerber Center Drive+ (Current Primary workhorse EDC)

Gerber Dime (Keychain/messenger bag)

Ozark Trail Multiforce (slimmer pocket carry compared to CD+, scratches some of the phantom itch form factor-wise from the lost Surge)

Keyport Anywhere Tools Neba knife/Pocket Flare Combo (trying to decide whether to to dock it to my Keyport Pivot keychain or have it live separately on a pocket clip)

PENDING: Toler Union (Crowd-funded, In-production)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 07:07:51 PM
Nice lineup Tash - Camillus was one of my favorites.  Was one of those cheapie Japanese folders a Higonokami by any chance?  Those can get quite expensive, and they'll never fall apart.

Welcome 34N89W - Good choices.  Stick with us and we'll out a few more on your pending list.

00 Offline Taschenmesser

Reply #34 on: April 16, 2020, 07:35:10 PM
Nice lineup Tash -.....  Was one of those cheapie Japanese folders a Higonokami by any chance?  .

Thanks.  I’d like to put the whole story here but I doubt anyone would want to read it. I probably wouldn’t read it.  ;)

As for the cheapies think ‘fierce looking single blade locking manual folder’ for a kid who really wants a switchblade. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 16, 2020, 07:44:11 PM
Thanks.  I’d like to put the whole story here but I doubt anyone would want to read it. I probably wouldn’t read it.  ;)

As for the cheapies think ‘fierce looking single blade locking manual folder’ for a kid who really wants a switchblade.

:D  lucky for me, I'm not into automatics.  It was one of those things that looked like fun until I actually handled them.  I'm too clumsy. 

nz Offline Storm

Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 03:01:32 PM
Hmm, pondering time on my life in knife

First one was a Christmas gift from Mum and Dad, being a Victorinox Spartan in red. Much appreciated due to it being the 80s, and well, MacGuyver :D
Long since lost, but have 2 replacements- 1 x beat up red one and one in black with my name engraved that my sister in law bought back from the Ibach factory(my formal occasion knife :tu: )
Bought a single blade locking folder in red with a clip point around very early teens, unsure if it ever had branding, long lost.
Next up I bought a small grey drop point no name folder from local farming supply store, still have kicking around in a tool box. Carried through a few years of my 14 year army career.
Mid teens I bought a Tramontina fake stag handle skinner, still have it. Used as my food prep knife while in the Army.
Late teen I bought one of those cheap Rambo knives with survival handle and sharpening stone camo sheath.( I was young, Rambo was cool, dont judge ) No idea where it ended up, probably broke when throwing at something  :facepalm:

Joined the NZ Army in 2000, got issued a Camillus TL-29(although I didnt know thats what it was at the time, was issued as Knife, Pocket, Black,2 Blade) Put on a 1m paracord lanyard and lived in my pocket/webbing until replaced in approx 2007 with black Victorinox Centurion until handed back when I left the Army in 2014(should have held onto it, managed to get a used one from a friend still on the inside :)  )
Bought a silver Gerber MP600 on basic training, was stolen/lost on the second field exercise sadly. Approx 2005 found a used Leatherman PST II in a pawn shop for $80. Used it for about a year till I broke the file being a muppet and levering a holesaw bit off the mandrel. Went to local agent, paid $8 for the shipping to Auckland to fix it, (openly admitting I broke it being a muppet) got a brand spanking new one back 2 weeks later ! To say I was happy was an understatement as they sold for $220 new. Still have it, wore it 2006-2014 on my corps belt every day in uniform.
Also bought a large pig sticker around that time to use as a mine prodder, ground a sharp edge on the backside , carried it on my webbing till I got out in 2014.

Bought a Cold Steel Super edge to wear as a neck knife on my deployment to Afghanistan in 2009, still have it on my dog tags in the garage. While in Bagram I bought a Gerber Ridge which was a small pocket version of the Cold Steel, lived in my pocket until approx 2014 as well as a blacked out version of my old MP600, now resides in my firefighting overalls. Also picked up a small folding knife made locally, still have it locked away safely. I bought a couple of shameful clones on Benchmade knives as souveniers from the local market, still have them.

Went on the knife buying path in a big way around 2012-17, picking up a Gerber Moment folder, Paraframe folder, DMF II(non auto) folder ,Gator (plain edge folder), Buffalo River 4 inch blade fixed survival knife , Winchester Trapper in bone handles, Remington Sportsman Series Stockman in black laminated handles, Opinel No 8 and No 9 in carbon, No 8 in stainless, Victorinox Bantam in nylon red scales, Gerber Evo tanto small flipper (CRKT M16 rip off) Buck 371 stockman, and a Buck 110 as it was the "real deal" , seeing as my dad just used cheap copies as his dirty farm knife in the ute when I was growing up,  BK16 Becker Necker, Mora companion and a Leatherman Wave, really thought I'd love it , but too bulky sadly, especially opposed to my PST II , all of which I still have in my chest in the garage. Also had a Gerber Air Ranger folder, lost on a job sadly somewhere.

Picked up my Muela BW22 Coral Handled Bowie in Australia in 2016 on holiday because, Crocodile Dundee. Most I've ever paid for a knife, just so I can pull it out and say "thats not a knife, THIS is a knife". Worth every cent I tell ya :D
Also picked up a Gerber Edge fixed blade at the same shop, still have both.After that it was a Rat II in pink scales, followed by a Dozier Hunter, also in pink because a) its cheaper because of insecure mall ninjas, b) customers don't panic when you pull out a pink knife to cut something, c) no one steals pink stuff and d) its highly visible if you drop it/leave it on a roof truss somewhere etc. Gifted the Dozier to my wife as her camping knife as it could be converted to a lefty for her.

Around 2018 started looking at SAKs again as theyre just so useful, and non threatening , buying a Tinker, Farmer and a Recruit after watching/reading many reviews on both, still trying to  find the One knife to rule them all. Lost the Farmer earlier this year, still have both the others. Once I'd waited a while to see if the Farmer was going to re appear, I replaced it with a Pioneer when a pay raise came my way, as it was slightly less bulky, and didn't have the saw blocking the nail nick for the main blade, and I've been happy as a pig in mud since. (apart from whittling, where the Tinker/Recruits small blade comes in real handy)

Over the years I've been gifted a small clone SAK by my son, a Buffalo River Maxim Folder and SAK alike by workmates who knew I liked knives. I've also picked up a couple of old pocket knives, a Camper scout pattern, a small 2 blade Catterus, and a IXL folder in various stages of disrepair for the collection

Think thats about all I have to say about that., thanks for giving me the excuse to ramble and reminince :hatsoff:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:11:13 PM by Storm »
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 11:52:01 PM
I arrived at the party a bit later than most. First EDC, was circa 1997, original LM PST. Truth be told, I didn’t like it that much. The handle edges were sharp, the tools difficult to open.

I then carried around with a Gerber, multiplier 600, which I liked much better than the PST, with the exception of the sliding pliers. I always had a preference for LM and while innovative, I ultimately decided against the Gerbers.

In 2001, I bought an original wave, with the tool adapter. Definitely an improvement over the PST, IMO, I carried the Wave until I was rushing for a flight in 2005 and donated it to the TSA as I had to get thru security for a flight to Chicago.

At this point, I was still only purchasing one tool at a time. That changed when I returned and purchased a replacement wave and a Gerber MP-400. My EDC was the wave, but I would swap the MP-400 occasionally when wearing a sheath was appropriate.

Unsure of the year, but the BO wave came next. I actually sold the Stainless wave and put the money towards the BO.

In 2009 I gave the MP-400 to my cousin as I wasn’t using it.

I stopped EDC, in 2011 and that lasted til 2014, owning to a change in jobs and increased enforcement in carry knives in NYC.

In 2014 I stopped working in NY and returned to EDC. I picked up a number of LM tools, a wave (stainless), E33b, E33Bx and Bit Kit.

I B/S/T additional LM knives over the next couple of years. So many I really can track the sequence and timeline; however tools/knives included the C304, E306x, E33Tx, H503, K503x, E55Bx (my current EDC knife), squirt and juice.

In 2017, I got my first Skeletool, a TTC modified ‘Lone Ninja’; followed by Skelly SX, RX, and KBX in 2018.

In early 2019, I picked up the Raptor. Have barely used it, but it was exclusively a ‘cool’ purchase.

My most recent purchase was the LM free P2, in March 2020.

So I’ve had roughly ~35 or so tools/knives over the years. Most never made it into my EDC, some were purchased as a potential for future parts, others were impulse and exclusivity buys after tools were discontinued. I definitely have the urge to buy more, specifically a Wave+ in stainless, as well as trying to reacquire a Universal Tool Adapter, another E55Bx and E33Bx.

Not extensive and no where near many of your collections, still has brought me enjoyment and ultimately to this forum.

Oh and the absence of  ever owning a SAK is probably somewhat unique.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:57:56 PM by Mcfal12 »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 23, 2020, 03:14:57 PM

Think thats about all I have to say about that., thanks for giving me the excuse to ramble and reminince :hatsoff:

Ramble and reminisce away.  I enjoyed the ride!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: April 23, 2020, 04:09:52 PM
I arrived at the party a bit later than most. First EDC, was circa 1997, original LM PST. Truth be told, I didn’t like it that much. The handle edges were sharp, the tools difficult to open.

I then carried around with a Gerber, multiplier 600, which I liked much better than the PST, with the exception of the sliding pliers. I always had a preference for LM and while innovative, I ultimately decided against the Gerbers.

In 2001, I bought an original wave, with the tool adapter. Definitely an improvement over the PST, IMO, I carried the Wave until I was rushing for a flight in 2005 and donated it to the TSA as I had to get thru security for a flight to Chicago.

At this point, I was still only purchasing one tool at a time. That changed when I returned and purchased a replacement wave and a Gerber MP-400. My EDC was the wave, but I would swap the MP-400 occasionally when wearing a sheath was appropriate.

Unsure of the year, but the BO wave came next. I actually sold the Stainless wave and put the money towards the BO.

In 2009 I gave the MP-400 to my cousin as I wasn’t using it.

I stopped EDC, in 2011 and that lasted til 2014, owning to a change in jobs and increased enforcement in carry knives in NYC.

In 2014 I stopped working in NY and returned to EDC. I picked up a number of LM tools, a wave (stainless), E33b, E33Bx and Bit Kit.

I B/S/T additional LM knives over the next couple of years. So many I really can track the sequence and timeline; however tools/knives included the C304, E306x, E33Tx, H503, K503x, E55Bx (my current EDC knife), squirt and juice.

In 2017, I got my first Skeletool, a TTC modified ‘Lone Ninja’; followed by Skelly SX, RX, and KBX in 2018.

In early 2019, I picked up the Raptor. Have barely used it, but it was exclusively a ‘cool’ purchase.

My most recent purchase was the LM free P2, in March 2020.

So I’ve had roughly ~35 or so tools/knives over the years. Most never made it into my EDC, some were purchased as a potential for future parts, others were impulse and exclusivity buys after tools were discontinued. I definitely have the urge to buy more, specifically a Wave+ in stainless, as well as trying to reacquire a Universal Tool Adapter, another E55Bx and E33Bx.

Not extensive and no where near many of your collections, still has brought me enjoyment and ultimately to this forum.

Oh and the absence of  ever owning a SAK is probably somewhat unique.

That's a fun timeline.  Large collections don't always equate to interesting EDC... they might even do the opposite.  Some of the more interesting timelines I've come across are just one or two items long - a two blade pen knife, or a Camillus folding hunter followed by a LM PST, or a break-away utility blade.

To me - an EDC timeline is a look at what's important to the person, what common threads they find in their tools, and what's happening in their life.

I can relate to a lot of what you have experienced.

- My first good-quality purchase was a LM Supertool.  I also couldn't quite get used to it, especially the cumbersome locking mechanism.  It never felt quite right in the hand.  So while i got it in between the Buck knockoff and the Cold Steel -  I wouldn't count that as an EDC until I started carrying it for work.  There were several years and several folders between the time that I bought the LM ST and when I actually carried it. 

- I also switched to a Gerber, which I liked much better, and because I was using the drivers and the pliers on a day to day basis, a multitool replaced a folder as my EDC.  (I still carried a folder with the LM ST)  My issue with the Gerber is that opening the pliers deliberately to access another tool, and then sliding them closed... or worse yet.... leaving them open off the back end of the tool I was using wasn't quite right to me.  It didn't bother me at work... but anywhere else... whether it was a matter of opening a beer or a package... it really felt like a deliberate and unrefined step.  I still felt like it was perfect for the job though.... and I liked it so much that I sold the stainless one I had, and bought a BO with needlenose pliers.

- City knife laws were part of the reason I added a LM Micra to my EDC, though I still carried a regular SAK anyway.

It seems like you have established a need... want... preference... for a larger main blade.  It's decisions like that which run through several iterations of an EDC that I find interesting. 

:hatsoff:

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #40 on: April 23, 2020, 04:20:30 PM
To me - an EDC timeline is a look at what's important to the person, what common threads they find in their tools, and what's happening in their life.

I agree, there is definitely a common thread, especially with my choice of a pocket knife. More iterating than starting new. For me it was evolving from a larger single blade (H series), to smaller multi purpose (E3_ series) and then to a thinner but larger multi purpose tool (E55_ series).

From a multi tool perspective, I couldn’t agree more with your comment about Gerber and even for LM tools that opening one tool to get to another is less than ideal. I mean I don’t organize my tool box, or my life, in a way that forces me to move 5 items to get to another. That’s inefficient. The Free series really changed that for me, and while it’s not perfect, it’s a true game changer.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: April 23, 2020, 05:27:59 PM
EDC timeline.  How I got HERE from THERE. 

Once I bought my LM Wave I thought it was a game changer.  I dabbled with SAKs and folder as well as lights.  The format of the Wave was what I like most.  I appreciated OHO and the bit holder.  The Surge was really nice since it was basically a larger Wave but with the added blade exchanger.  Trying different MTs during that time was about experimenting.  It was also more collecting than anything.  I think my first quality knife was a Native fully serrated in S30V.  I did get an Emerson Commander from a friend but it didn't quite sit right with me  :dunno:  One tool that did was the Explorer.  I also got a Manager during this time as well.  These two tools seem to keep resonating with me.  Manager is permanently on my keychain.  My Explorer and I see each other often but I'm not married to it for some reason  :think:

Over time I went from my Wave to TTi, not a big leap but its the format that I like and the TTi with S30V blade made a lot of sense.  I don't always carry a folder so having a good blade on the TTi was a nice way to simplify my carry.  I've pretty much carried my TTi now exclusively for work. 

Lets talk folders.  I picked up several including a fully serrated Delica and Waved Delica.  I really like that size folder.  Its not that I don't like knives its more I just don't carry them as often as I think I will.  I have gone back and forth on folders.  I keep thinking if I find the right one I'll carry it often.  I got a Dragonfly2 and love it.  Perfect size and super comfortable in hand.  I actually carry this one a lot.  What keeps me from buying a folder is the notion that I'll likely not carry it anyway so why bother trying new knives.  I did get a Mini Griptillian.  Its an older one in 440 steel.  I was surprised how much I like this knife.  I've carried it quite a lot for work.  I do have to remind myself tho to carry it.  I carry it at home as well.   

SAKs.  The struggles are real.  So many reasons to carry one yet which?  I'm glad to know a scissored SAK is preferred.  I lean so much towards the Explorer but cannot commit.  Picked up a Wenger S14 which I really like.  I also got a Wenger Cyclist thats very cool.  My Salesman is another great SAK.  I also recently got a Ranger, again. 

I guess I can more easily talk about what I am committed to.  Manager is a no briner for me.  Wenger Pocket tool chest is a no brainer for me.  I recently rediscovered my Minichamp.  Those are the 3 small SAKs that I'm good with and really can do without other small SAKs. 

MTs.  I mentioned my TTi with is a committed work tool.  I can also say my Squirts are committed tools for off days.  I have 2 that see regular carry and use.  My Spirit. I carry this tool also for work.  My Surge is a work tool.  The two other MTs that see use are my Skeletool CX and Charge Ti both are my tools I carry around the house.  I keep a ST300 and Swisstool around the house. 

Traditional slippies.  Pretty stoked about these knives.  I bought a Buck small 3 blade and CRKT toothpick a while ago.  I cannot recall what happened to the Buck?  The toothpick was carried like all new to me tools but no connection with it. I then got a Buck Creek Copperhead.  Again, I carried it but no connecting with it.  I really wanted to get a nicer one but with all the patterns I honestly didn't want to go down that rabbit hole.  I found a nice Camillus #64 and actually connected with it.  I then got a scout knife from a member and connected with it as well.  Maybe it was timing.  I made slips for them and now carry the scout slippie on off days and the Camillus about the home or just to change things up with the scout.  I also resurrected my Buck Creek and paired it with a sheath.  I carry that one whenever I want a little more blade or just want to change things up. 

Fixed blades.  I can carry one to work and I like to.  I began with some cheap ones to try out what I liked.  Speaking of work/home knives and not camping, I'm not sure how this journey began or my point A to where I am now.  I'll begin where I am now.  I carry a Syperco Jumpmaster for work.  Great knife by all accounts.  I also like to carry my DPx HEST.  Its a chubby little feller but I really like it.  I attach my Jumpmaster on my work belt while I have my HEST on my pants belt.  I got a BM Contego that I really like.  I carry this a lot for work and off work.  Its gonna out last me by a long margin.  I picked up a RAT3 which I greatly like.  Its an all a round carried knife.  One knife I had wanted to try was the Esee Izula.  I got the opportunity to get one and I am not disappointed.  I carry this exclusively at home.

Lights.  I haven't bought a new light in a while.  I seemed to have bough the ones I like early on and they all have a place.  I got a Zebra light and Olight S1R as my big out put lights.  I carry a Fenix LD02 on my keychain.  In my Skinths sit a Thrunite Ti AAA and in the other a Olight I3S EOS.  I have a Lumentop Tool 2.0 that sees time as my home carry light. In sheaths I keep my different trads set ups in are a Lumentool Worm, a Fenix EO5, a Olight I2 EOS, and a Fenix LD02.  I've looked at other lights recently but for now I feel good with what I have.  I should mention I do have a 4/7s ATOM Ti in red led and P0.  They see some use but the lights in the sheaths and keychain light do the bulk of work. 

WOW this is long. 

To summarize, I feel set with work tools.  Its my off day carry that always has me reevaluating.  BTW https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71074.0.html
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 06:21:55 PM
carrying a light is a hit/miss thing for me. I love the Hatori I own, but its something I have rarely needed and have always been able to resort to my iPhone flashlight in the few instances I didn't have a dedicated light.

Not enough pockets! I'm anti cargo pockets, as much as I am wearing sports jerseys to ball games as an adult. IDK- something about that always felt odd to me. Wear a "team shirt", but a jersey....? I know I am in the minority on that, so to each their own.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%