Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carving a tiny spoon with the Becker BK62 Kephart Knife

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
This is my first ever attempt at carving a spoon. Normally when camping, I bring my own utensils, but quarantine can motivate you to try new things.

I made quite a few mistakes carving this spoon. My branch selection wasn’t the best. It was way too small/thin and actually split in a couple places. I realized this pretty early but decided to push on for practice sake. That’s all this is anyways. I wanted to get a feel for how my new knife handled.

First I stripped the bark and got a general wedge shape going. About halfway there I noticed a split in my piece. Out came the Rebar to make the small spoon even smaller.

Once I started working on the bowl, I used a series of horizontal and vertical cuts to loosen up the wood. I then went in with the tip on the knife and removed as much material as I could. I repeated this 6-7 times until there was enough of a dip in the wood.

I then shaped the handle. I think the handle turned out ok, but I accidentally took out a huge chunk at the very end and messed the shape up entirely.

What is this? A spoon for ants? Next time, i will get a much larger piece to work with.

Now, the knife. When I first started out there were some hotspots and I was kind of disappointed. However, as time progressed and I continued working with the knife they just went away. I’m not sure how that happened, but I do understand the hype behind this knife now. It is an absolute pleasure to work with. I have to say that my Kansbol has it beat in the comfort department, but it is not uncomfortable at all like I thought it would be. It seems that the more I work with the blade, the more comfortable it becomes to use.

Pics coming up next. I know it’s not great, but it’s a first try.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Carving a tiny spoon with the Becker BK62 Kephart Knife
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:45:36 AM

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:38:25 AM by G-Dizzle »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Carving a tiny spoon with the Becker BK62 Kephart Knife
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 03:03:26 PM
Looks good for a first attempt :cheers: