Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pics of 84mm Back Springs?

Offline toolnoob

Pics of 84mm Back Springs?
on: May 05, 2020, 11:39:30 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone have pictures of the back springs of 84mm SAKs with no back tools (i.e. Bantam, Recruit)? I want to see what they look like for a mod project, but I haven't seen anyone on this forum disassemble such a SAK (84mm with no back tools) yet.

Thanks!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pics of 84mm Back Springs?
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 12:09:56 AM
Have you tried looking here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,81046.msg1991274.html#msg1991274

:cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline toolnoob

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:29:08 AM
I actually forgot about that picture! Someone brought that thread up in a previous post of mine, and I think I glanced at that picture of the Walker/Lumberjack and forgot about it - haha.

However, if you take a close look at that picture, you'll notice that there are only 3 brass rods and 2 pairs of bushings that connect the liners to the scales - but there are 4 holes in the liners for the rods!

I know that Vic has recently changed the design of these 84mm SAKs with no back tools so that they now have 4 brass rods (and 2 triplets of bushings). That being said, I was wondering if they also changed the back springs on these models so that they accommodate for the 4th rod - like maybe a notch or hole in the back springs for the new rod to seat itself in.

If anyone could confirm whether or not Vic has changed the back springs on the 84mm SAKs with no back tools, that would be great!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:38:20 AM
Nope, no changes to backsprings... The purpose of the 4th pin is to prevent backsprings  (for layers with tools on each end of the pivot and a backtool) from any lateral movement... it also helps to provide more attachement points for scales...

The only change I found was on the opener backspring... but not due to introduction of 4th pin... Change was made due to the introduction of the half stop on the bottle opener...

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 12:52:39 AM
Here's a Cadet I built.   Maybe the pictures will be helpful.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77838.msg1721330.html#msg1721330

Offline toolnoob

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 01:02:34 AM
Thanks jaya_man! So the according to the picture of the Walker/Lumberjack, even for the newer 84mm SAKs w/o back tools, the back springs should not in any way touch or wrap around the new addition of the 4th brass rod/pin?

You can see what I'm talking about in the picture I've attached of the Tinker: the 2 back springs wrap around the brass pin.

So this does not occur in the newer 84mm SAKs w/o back tools, even after the addition of the new pin? And do you have any pictures of this for proof?

Thank you
Tinker.jpg
* Tinker.jpg (Filesize: 204.69 KB)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 01:26:40 AM
Yes I get what you mean... Hence my earlier explanation...

Proof? If your asking if I have comparison pics of both older and newer models (without backtools), no I don’t...

If its any help to you, I have just added a couple of pics in the dismantled thread... one is of the Cadet II X mod I did a while back...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:18:16 AM
Happen to have a “My First Victorinox Plus” lying around...

Offline toolnoob

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 02:34:44 AM
Thanks! So the pin/rod is indeed just "floating" in there and does not provide any support to the back springs. It's kind of strange that the only purpose it serves is to provide the 3rd scale attachment point.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 02:36:53 AM
Why would it be strange?

Offline toolnoob

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 03:48:48 AM
I guess I thought it would make sense for Vic to give those new pins some more structural support, like maybe redesigning the back springs so they would wrap around them - although I am definitely not going to argue with the more secure scale attachment, that is definitely a good thing.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 04:06:20 AM
Existing liners, and backsprings combined already provide for more than enough structural support for the SAK... That design has been there for decades and not just for Victorinox... and I have not heard of or read of any complaints by users relating to structural defects caused by handle flex...

Redesigning a component means changes across all similar lines (84mm) including alox... I would say a huge amount of money, time and resources needs to be invested... but at the cost of something that is not necessary?

I wouldn’t be too concerned with the backsprings and just proceed with the mod... or at least buy and use one... :cheers:

Offline toolnoob

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 04:13:09 AM
Yeah that would make sense

Offline toolnoob

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 05:50:17 AM
Out of curiosity, in this pic (it's from your Cadet X mod from the other thread), what do the circled portions of the back spring do? Do they act as stoppers for the can and bottle openers so they don't go in too far? Or are they for something else?
back spring.jpg
* back spring.jpg (Filesize: 26.26 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 10:07:53 AM
Yup, they're intended to stop the bottle opener and can opener from falling too far.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:43:21 PM
+1 on what Pabs said... :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!