Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic linerless is possible?

it Offline jimmiewalker

Vic linerless is possible?
on: April 26, 2020, 06:18:18 PM
Hey folks i was thinkin to get a swisschamp ant try to mod it as slim as possible, maybe removing the alu liners between tool's layerals, bit, i've never seen thath anywhere and i don't know if it is posible.
Does anybodi tried something similar?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Vic linerless is possible?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 08:31:33 PM
The inner tool layers would have no snap to them if you left out the liners. Best you could maybe do is try two layers between liners instead of 1.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

it Offline jimmiewalker

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:10:09 PM
Thank you Syph im going to surf ebay looking for the vic.
Best to you

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:24:11 PM
I’d leave at least one central liner as they perform an essential structural function along the length of the SAK. You’ll also have to accept some snagging between tools and I think you’ll get a good deal of tool wobble as the liners help to brace tools when open, and to get a tight peen with no liners, you’re likely to have the tools bind together. Worth trying, but you may need to be prepared to rebuild it (so have some spare brass rod on hand)  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 05:57:46 PM
I’d leave at least one central liner as they perform an essential structural function along the length of the SAK. You’ll also have to accept some snagging between tools and I think you’ll get a good deal of tool wobble as the liners help to brace tools when open, and to get a tight peen with no liners, you’re likely to have the tools bind together. Worth trying, but you may need to be prepared to rebuild it (so have some spare brass rod on hand)  :cheers:
:iagree:
I think it could be a 'fun' hypothetical experiment, but definitely keep in mind about the tools binding and snap issue Syph mentioned earlier.  If there is any chance to save a liner in between without affecting the function/integrity, I would assume Vic would probably have done it in first place.(for example, no liner between fish scaler and woodsaw on Swisschamp)

Based on my data on various liners, each liner is roughly 0.7-1mm thick and 2.5-3g each on average.  So even if modding a more heavyweight like the 8 layers Swisschamp, and if we hypothetically taking away 3 liners(since no liner between woodsaw and scaler), saving would only be 9g out of a 185g tool, possibly 3mm out of 32mm.  Meanwhile, it is very likely we could lose the snap and or even possibly the structural integrity of the Swisschamp.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%