Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rate the last movie you watched v2

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: Rate the last movie you watched v2
Reply #90 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25:25 PM
Goldfinger (1964) - 06 / 10

Okay before you start bashing me for giving a classic 007 movie a low score...just hear me out first!

First off; Goldfinger is a great movie, a product of its time, but a great movie.

Sean Connery will always be the real James Bond to me, and he has always been an amazing actor in my opinion. Even in the bad movies he has been in (like LXG) he has always played his part extremely well.

But anyway back to Goldfinger, it is a great movie, but there are some flaws in the movie that do want to address...

*spoiler alerts*

1st: the seduction scene in Goldfingers hotel suit in the start of the movie with the girl spying on the guy Goldfinger is playing cards with; just makes no sense, let’s be honest; no girl in the world would react like that if a total stranger just walked into her hotel suit...that’s just not going to happen.

Then the scene after (which I guess takes place in James Bond’s hotel room); how did Oddjob find them in this massive hotel? ...and how did Goldfinger find out it was him? ..all he knew was just a voice he heard over the radio.

Okay moving on..

The scene where James Bond pretty much cuts up the whole side of the mustang driven by tilly masterson which runs her off the road...her whole concern is about her tires when literally the whole side of her car is cut open like a can opener has opened a can of beans? ..like really? ..really?

Then the iconic scene where James Bond is tied to a gold table and almost getting cut in half or castrated by Goldfingers “industrial laser”...when he mentions “operation grand slam”; why on earth would he let him live? ...if he knows too much the why not kill him on the spot? ...and why wait and blow him up in Fort Knox?

Next: in the scene onboard Goldfingers private jet: when James Bond goes to shave / change clothes....why has Goldfinger installed these peepholes into his own bathroom? ...or is that to look at smurf galore every time she uses the bathroom..or why on earth would he have those in his private jet?

Anyway next: the scene where he presents “operation grand slam” to the “gangsters” (or whoever they are supposed to be); why go through all the trouble and costs of turning pretty much the entire building into a mechanical transforming display of his plan.....when he is going to gas everyone of them right after anyway? ...why even do the presentation in the first place, if you are going to kill them right after? ..like what and why?

Also the way solo was killed really made no sense either...and what a waste of a beautiful Lincoln Continental....why didn’t he just kill solo at the ranch? ..he didn’t even dispose of his body, he just crushed his body and the gold in the car, and brought the crushed car back to the ranch only to have to cut the gold out of the crushed car ...with solos body still in it. Sorry but this didn’t really make sense to me.

Right, moving on: how could smurf galores planes just fly over Fort Knox without tripping any alarms? ..they just flew over it like that is just something people just do all the time.....I get that smurf galore informed the army or agents about operation grand slam after having sexy time with James Bond ..which also seemed unbelievable as in the scene before she was just talking about how she was going to buy an island off the Bahamas with all the money she would make from operation grand slam.

Yeah this just didn’t add up to me.

Also why are all Goldfingers henchmen Chinese or Korean? ..when he is supposed to be either British or Swiss?

Goldfinger is a great movie, I know I have said it before, but it really is, it also has some of the most iconic scenes in all of James Bond’s history. I know the 1960s were a different time and because of that, we have to respect for that. But there were just a lot of scenes that didn’t really make sense to me, and I don’t see them making any sense back then either. So that’s the reason for me giving it a “fair” rating.

Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:29:30 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #91 on: March 06, 2019, 11:41:04 PM
Honestly.............I don't remember the last movie I saw. :think:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:01 AM
Star Trek:The Motion Picture 7/10

I'll get hate for this,but I like the TMP. Could use more aggressive editing,but it's very nearly a good sci-fi movie.

Hurricane 6/10

Follows 303 (Polish) Sqn through the Battle of Britain. Can't believe I'm going to say this,as I think too many modern movies are ruined by too many sfx sequences,but this movie was badly let down by the air combat scenes...it really needed more spent on the special effects. 
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 07:12:38 PM
Aquaman (2018) - 08 / 10

I watched this movie with extremely low expectations, mainly because my experience with these kind of movies.

But I must say it was way better than I thought.

Not going to post any spoilers, but it kept me entertained all the way way through.

It’s not the kind of movie I would want to watch several times, but the same goes for a lot of new movies, especially the transformers and avengers movies.

But I’d say; aquaman is worth the watch if you get a chance too. I wouldn’t pay to go see it, but if it’s on TV or you “legally” download it, go ahead and give it a try.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #94 on: March 07, 2019, 10:39:23 PM
The Mrs soooo wanted to watch “slender man” and I sat here rolling my eyes, OMG did that SUCK, I don’t like scary movies I think there dumb and boring, well this was just sooooo dumb, I’d give it a 0/10..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: March 07, 2019, 11:12:40 PM
The Mrs soooo wanted to watch “slender man” and I sat here rolling my eyes, OMG did that SUCK, I don’t like scary movies I think there dumb and boring, well this was just sooooo dumb, I’d give it a 0/10..
JR

I agree, it is a really stupid movie...I don’t understand why it was even made / released...especially considering it came out like 10 years after people stopped caring about slender man. Not to mention; it’s not even scary, it’s just stupid, and it’s so poorly acted as well.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: March 07, 2019, 11:25:58 PM
From Russia with love (1963) - 07 / 10

Out of all the “real” James Bond films, I’d say “From Russia with love” is one of my least favorite James Bond films. It is by no means the worst, and it is not even remotely a bad movie.

But the reason I don’t like it, is because I think it moves in too slow a paste, and I think there are too many characters and things going on in the movie.

For instance; the scene where we are first introduced to Kilenco under the Russian council building, then next scene we get the part with the gypsies, where two girls fight and then they are attacked by Kilenco, and then in the next scene they kill Killenco trying escape from his hideout.

This whole part had no relevance to the rest of the plot of the film at all, we never even see any of the gypsies again either.

I also think the whole train part of the movie just goes on for way too long...so much so; that by the time they get off the train I have forgotten what they were even trying to escape from.

But again this is just all my personal opinion.

“From Russia with love” is by no means a bad movie, but it is just too slow in its paste for my liking, however I am going to give it a generous rating, because it is a good movie.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:30 PM
Alright I was not going to even mention this one but it is driving me crazy a little too so......

Machete-This one stunk so bad that I can not breathe while thinking about it!

The cast is really far and wide well known actors and I usually like Danny Trejo as long as he isn't trying too hard and I really like Michelle Rodriguez and Jessica Alba running around scantily dressed but even this could not save Machete for me!
This is just one terrible movie.
Dinero
Lindsey Lohan
Big Fat Steven Seagall
Cheech
Don Johnson
And on and On but insanely ridiculous and unbelievable at every turn.

So it hits me partway through that this smells like a Rodriguez film and I look it up and DAMN!!! It Is!?
Well this is no Desperado but it is clear that this is what they were trying to do too?

Maybe the fact that this is supposed to be about some Comic Character or a "Graphic Novel" that I have no knowledge of would change my ultimate impression of this film but as of now this is just one of the worst I have sat through in a long time.

The Plotline about the Mexicans and keeping them out of the country is prescient for sure and I think was written before the whole Wall thing which was amusing but beleive me you have never seen Dinero like this before and will not want to again either.

The scene with the Old & Fat Trejo fighting his old friend Old & Fat Seagall is beyond description really and that was maybe a highlight of the film but every scene really made me just feel sorry for everyone involved in this Stink bomb in the end.

If I am missing something here and you liked this one I want to know!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: March 09, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
T-34 (2018) - 08 / 10

As far as I can tell it is an all Russian made movie, since I couldn't find a version with English subtitles then I had to watch it without, the spoken languages in the movie are Russian and German, none of which I speak.

Anyway, the movie is actually pretty well made and acted too, the CGI and visuals is extremely well done and doesn't look fake at any point. Also the vehicles and tanks all look genuine too. The action scenes are amazing too.

If you are a fan of WW2 tanks and you can find a version with English subtitles or subtitles in your own language then certainly give it a try.

Missing in Action 2: The Beginning (1985) - 01 / 10

This movie takes place before the first movie, it is trying to show why Colonel Braddock (Played by Chuck Norris) hates Colonel Yin as much as he does. Personally I thing this was both shown and explained well enough in the first movie, which in itself makes this movie kind of redundant, also the first movie had a lot more action and "Chuck Norris being Chuck Norris" in it, this second film has a few action scenes but nothing really special and nothing which the first movie didn't do better.

Overall, I don't see any reason for this movie to even exist. It doesn't explain or give us anything new which we didn't already know from the first movie, and the first movie was an overall better movie in pretty much every way. "Missing in Action 2: The Beginning" is not bad because it is a Chuck Norris film or because its a typical 80s "one man army" movie, it is just bad because it just brings nothing new or even has anything to give us that the first movie didn't do better.

Honestly, just watch the first movie for the entertainment value alone, and just ignore the 2nd movie. Lets just be happy that we have the first film, which is full of the typical good old Chuck Norris takes on a whole army which we all either love or hate....or love because we hate it....which ever...
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: March 09, 2019, 07:30:03 PM
Code of silence (1985) - 05 / 10

Chuck Norris plays a police officer in this movie, the movie focuses around the gangs of Chicago and their gang war.

This is one of those “meh” kind of movies, there’s not really anything new about it and there’s not really anything memorable about it either.

It’s not a bad movie, but it’s just nothing we haven’t seen in many other movies like it.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: March 10, 2019, 05:53:09 PM
A good day to die (1970) - 01 / 10

So this movie was really hyped up to me, so I had high expectations for it, but I must say I was greatly disappointed.

Not only is the movie just incredibly boring, but also it’s the same things happening over and over.

First he is with the Indians, then he is with the “white people”, then he is with the Indians again, then he is with the “white people” again..and it just continues like that....and every time nothing really happens.

There’s the odd fight / battle here and there, but they are nothing great.

Apparently it’s a really iconic movie, but I just don’t see what the big fuzz is about.

I will say though that it is one of the only movies I have seen that showed the Indians for their personal and good sides, and didn’t just show them as a bunch of savages. Which was a good thing, don’t get me wrong. But as a movie overall, I just don’t see whatever it is that other people see in it.

Braddock - Missing in Action III (1988) - 01 / 10

My main problem with this film is that not in any of the previous films was it even mentioned that Braddock had a wife in Vietnam, that he thought died during “The fall of Saigon” in 1975.

And also, the two first movies tried to create awareness about American POWs left behind in Vietnam, where as this 3rd movie doesn’t even mention anything about that.

I know I said that I think the 2nd film was pointless and didn’t have any reason to even exist, but this 3rd film is even more pointless.

Honestly, just watch the first film and ignore the rest of the Missing in Action movies.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #101 on: March 11, 2019, 05:07:30 AM
We went to the movies today and watched „Fighting with my family“.

I am not a wrestling fan, but i really enjoyed the movie. We had a good time  :tu:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: March 11, 2019, 08:28:59 PM
Delta Force (1986) - 07 / 10

A classic Chuck Norris movie, full of classic “Chuck Norris takes on a whole army” as we all either love or hate.

Movie is actually surprisingly well directed and coordinated, and action scenes are all live action. No CGI was used.

Worth the watch just for the entertainment value alone.

Delta Force 2: The Columbian Connection (1990) - 08 / 10

Also a classic Chuck Norris film with everything you typically find in a Chuck Norris film that we either love or hate....or love because we hate ...whichever.

I will say that, in this 2nd movie; “the bad guy” played by no other than Billy Draco, is just spot on perfect for an absolute ruthless drug overlord, he plays the role perfectly.

I’d say the movie is worth the watch just for his performance alone. After seeing this movie, I will never be able to look at him the same again

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: March 13, 2019, 04:46:28 PM
Mesa of lost women (1953) - 00 / 10

I somehow managed to make it 27 min into this movie before having to turn it off. The sound and the acting in this movie is just unbearable to sit through.

Seriously at 27 min my head started to hurt, I would honestly say this movie is unwatchable. I have seen a lot of bad movies in my life and I am one of those who enjoy watching bad movies, just for the entertainment value, but this movie is just....bad beyond anything I have think I have ever seen...I will say it again,  this movie is pretty much unwatchable.

Honestly give it a try yourself:
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: March 13, 2019, 06:15:07 PM
Bride of the Monster (1955) - 03 / 10

A movie made by the notorious Ed Wood (Edward Davis Wood Jr.), and known as one of the worst movies ever made in cinematic history.

Is it really that bad?

The answer is no! ...apart from the "monster" being a giant rubber squid / octopus thing..that they just wiggle around them to make it look like it is attacking them and a few other things that are not particularly well done or acted, I have to say this is by no means the worst movie I have ever seen, not even close. Even by 1955 standards and considering it was made on a budget of $70,000 (According to IMDb): I am actually surprised that they were able to make a movie that is somewhat decent.

Is it a good movie?

Well no, but it is by no means the worst movie I have ever seen, nor is it unwatchable in any way. It is not even close to being unwatchable. Yes, some of the acting and fight choreography could have been better, Yes, some of the set probs look like they are made out of painted MDF or cardboard....and Yes, the "monster" is a giant rubber squid / Octopus thing that doesn't really do anything other than have the actors wiggle it around them...BUT...for a low budget movie, it is really not that bad at all.

I am not going to give it a high or even medium rating, because it is not a good movie, but it is not even close to being as bad as it is hyped up to be, not even close.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: March 13, 2019, 07:13:00 PM
Galaxy of Terror (1981) - 04 / 10

This is one of those movies that came out right when Alien and Star Wars were at their prime. Galaxy of Terror is known as a cheap knock-off of Alien and known for copying elements from Star Wars too.

I want to say, that apart from taking place in space and involving space ships traveling to other planets, I don't see any similarities to Star Wars at all in this movie, absolutely nothing. Regarding Alien; well it is similar but I wouldn't say that is is a direct knock-off like so, especially as apart from a crew investigating a destress call from another planet, the storyline has nothing in common with Alien.

*SPOILER ALERT*

In Alien (1979) a crew on board a commercial freight ship called "The Nostromo" responds to a strange signal they picked of while travelling across the galaxy, the destress call turns out to come from an alien ship carrying some sort of bioweapon (the alien) that needs (in this case) a human host to spawn an an alien and so it takes out the crew one by one, until only the main protagonist is left, she sets the ship to self destruct and escapes in an escape pod / ship thing...but to her own surprise the alien hid itself in the escape pod so she has to give it a final fight, where she ends up ejecting it into space and then goes into hypernation  hoping to get picked up by another ship soon ..The End. ...roll credits

In Galaxy of Terror (1981), a spaceship called "Remus" crashed on a planet called "Morganthus". A crew is then send to rescue them on a ship called "Quest", but when trying to land on Morganthus their ship gets damaged (mainly due to what appears to be a careless and incompetent captain played by Erin Moran), so they are unable to leave the planet Morganthus without repairs. They then go to investigate the crashed ship, finds the ship severely damaged and the crew splattered all over the place, then they go on to find out why the ship crashed on the first place, which turns out to be because of some projected electromagnetic field, which is also preventing them from taking off again. They then come to find that this electromagnetic filed is projected by an alien pyramid. This pyramid or the electromagnetic field it projects (not too sure which it is) causes the crews worst fears / nightmares to come to life and kills them off one by one, they decide to make their way into the pyramid where then find the alien, which turns out be some old woman you saw in the intro of the movie calling herself "The oracle".....and then I am not really too sure what happens to be honest.

Anyway! ...my point being; apart from a crew investigating a destress call they got from another planet, the storylines and plot are completely different. I will say that the atmosphere of the movie fells a lot similar to Alien, but bottomline is: it's not a 100% cheap knock-off of Alien.

So is it any good then?

Well a lot of the special effects and probs look dated by modern standards, which is to be expected from a movie made in 1981, the acting is actually okay, and theres that "what will happen next" vibe throughout the movie and the scary scenes are scary too. I actually think it's an okay movie, for what it is. I know I said it before but even though in some ways it is similar to Alien, it is not a direct copy / knockoff of Alien. Otherwise it’s like saying Star Wars is a copy / knockoff of Star Trek.

It's not a great movie by any means, but its not that awful either. If you like old school sci-fi horrors, then give it a try.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:27:47 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: March 13, 2019, 08:43:54 PM
Ralph breaks the Internet (2018) - 07 / 10

I’m not going to post any spoilers for this one or go into any real detail, as this is a movie that’s currently trending and something people might actually watch (unlike the garbage I usually watch).

But it’s a fun movie, with a good sense of humor, I haven’t watched the first movie (wreck it Ralph) BT I quite enjoyed this 2nd movie

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: March 14, 2019, 03:38:50 PM
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies (1964) - 00 / 10

A movie literally known as "THE worst movie ever made" and I can see why!

This has to be the biggest pile of doohickey I have ever seen, and quite possibly the biggest cinematic eyesore ever...who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to make a Horror-Musical in the first place? ...but then just watching this garbage is just painful to sit through.

Everything about this movie is bad, Writing, directing, acting, filming, sound, choreography, editing, visuals, the hilariously bad paper mache masks the "zombies" wear...you name it...EVERYTHING is bad in this movie.

I honestly cant think of one single positive thing to say about this movie....

..I am actually trying desperately to think of one...just one positive thing to say about this movie, but I really can't...

What an absolute abomination!  :facepalm:
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: March 14, 2019, 03:51:03 PM
Thunderball (1965) - 08 / 10

A true James Bond classic, apart from Dr. No, I would say this is Sean Connery's best James Bond Film.

Everything from the beginning at the clinic, to the way he gets closer and closer to Largo's secret operation, it is done is a way that's sort of slow but never boring, which I really like as it adds this constant "what will be next" throughout the whole movie.

Diamonds are forever (1971) - 06 - 10

Another great movie with Sean Connery as James Bond.

But as great as this movie is, I think there's too many mistakes in it.

Mistakes like: when he drives the Mustang on two wheels through the alley, entering it driving it on the right side wheels and exiting it on the left side wheels. then theres the scene where they chase the moon-buggy thing in the desert, theres a part where you see the wheel fall off the moon-buddy and then in the next and following shots it still has all 4 wheels....that's just to mention some.

that's why I am giving it a 06 out of 10 as I think things like this should not have made it to the final cut of the movie. Especially on a big budget film like this.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: March 14, 2019, 03:59:07 PM
Damnation Alley (1977) - 02 / 10

The only thing I like about this movie is those "Landmaster" vehicles are badass! ...apart from those the rest of the movie is terrible. Effects are bad, acting is bad...and it has nothing memorable about it...it's just a typical story of "survivors" of a nuclear fallout driving around in the desert looking for survivors...nothing interesting to see.
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: March 14, 2019, 04:08:43 PM
Thunderball (1965) - 08 / 10

Diamonds are forever (1971) - 06 - 10
Two great movies indeed.  And with the best bond of them all IMO.
The music in Thunderball is repetitious and drives me nuts by half way thru the movie.
Diamonds are Forever may have its flaws, but "such sweet cheeks".  My favorite Bond Girl of all time (Jill St John).
- Steve

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: March 15, 2019, 12:05:49 PM
Screamers (1995) - 07 / 10

Okay...yes the special effects and CGI look dated in this movie...even by 1995 standards. A lot of them look like they would be from 1985, sort of on pair with the first Terminator film from 1984.

But if you are willing to not think too much about that and just watch the movie for what it is, its actually a pretty good movie, well acted, well directed and it has a pretty solid storyline as well...and apart from the CGI / Special effects the sets and other visuals are actually really well done too.

I feel like if they have had a bigger production budget for the CGI / Special effects this would have changed the cinematic experience drastically.

Peter Wellers (The guy who played the original RoboCop) does a fantastic job at playing the main protagonist too.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:11:31 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline italophil

Reply #112 on: March 16, 2019, 02:23:46 PM
Triple Frontier (2019) - Good action, heist flick. I liked the soundtrack. 7/10

us Offline Iron Man 2

• I'm Iron Man☺😎
Reply #113 on: March 17, 2019, 02:54:32 AM
Captain America Civil War

8.5/10

A great movie with lots of action.
Hello Beastie.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:06 PM
Far Cry (2008) - 01 / 10

Like most movies based on video games, it’s is just never a good result, and this is no exception.

Just a total “meh” movie. Nothing you haven’t seen before in a typical action B movie and nothing memorable about it.

The incredible melting man (1977) - 00 / 10

I know this movie in notoriously bad, but I just can’t get over just how boring it really is, it’s supposed to be scary, but at no time is there anything really scary happening

90% of the time nothing happens in the movie, and 5% is just way too dark shots of “The Incredible melting man” either walking around or just looking at things or people.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:05 PM
Captain Marvel  8/10

Pleasantly surprised! Character driven,maybe even a buddy movie,and perhaps the first MCU movie that wasnt 30 minutes too long

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #116 on: March 21, 2019, 11:44:13 AM
Captain Marvel  8/10

Pleasantly surprised! Character driven,maybe even a buddy movie,and perhaps the first MCU movie that wasnt 30 minutes too long
Good to know -that's the second recommendation I've had for this film. Will add it to the list.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: March 21, 2019, 12:12:10 PM
007: You only live twice (1967) - 08 / 10

I remember watching this movie on VHS as a kid and only thinking of it as another James Bond film, but seeing it today; I most say that I think it deserves a lot more credit and recognition than it has really gotten.

I mean yes; it has its flaws, but the movie is from 1967 and it is a product of its time. The movie also takes place during before the moon landing (1969) and before the oil crisis (1973), before Personal computers (late 70s), before cellular phones (1980s ..don't remember the exact year motorola launched the first cellphone..1984 was it?) ..and so on ..so on...so on...

But even back then the Japanese were highly efficient and highly advanced, and although a lot seems dated today, they just work perfectly for the movie.

Yes today ..seeing GyroJet guns being shown as "State of the art" and "The latest and Greatest" is something we just need to accept the movie for too. Today we know that they were a huge commercial failure, struggled with accuracy and reliability and the GyroJet rockets didn't travel fast enough at close range to be lethal, but back then anything with Space and rockets was seen as super cool and highly advanced.

Also Blofeld played by no other than Donald Presence, has to be the spot on perfect version of Blofeld in all of James Bond History, he not only playes the role perfectly but I mean just look at him in the movie....it's hard to ever imagine him as anyone else after seeing the movie. Sadly as far as I am aware this was the only time he played Blofeld ever in James Bond. But this just leads me to something I can't igonre which I think is a huge mistake from the production team, that is Bonds contact "Mr. Henderson" played by Charles Grey, who then plays Blofeld in "Diamonds are forever" (1971). I think this is just stupid to have the same person play different roles in the same series of movies. I know it's not "You only live twice" fault as it predates "Diamonds are forever"...but still.

Anyway; a fun fact is that the sports car that Aki drives, is actually the only Convertible Toyota 2000GT ever (actually two cars were made) but it was made specifically for "You only live twice", the reason it had to lose its roof was because Sean Connery at 6' 2" was too tall to sit in a normal 2000GT.

it's true....look it up if you done believe me.   

But back to the movie, and I will say it again, I really think it deserves more credit than it has gotten, there is just so much effort put into stuff like the Space probs, Blofelds Lair (I mean look it it), the whole chase scenes around Tokyo and the whole look into Japanese culture. It is extremely well done.

I will say though that, the part where Sean Connery gets transformed or "Made Japanese" as they call it in the movie, is not only plain stupid but also just goes on for waaaayyyy too long and it has no importance to the storyline whatsoever......I get that it was to give him the Agent 47 style cover to blend in on the island as a real Japanese person....but it's all for a what feels like 2 min scene, and then thats it...then they are immediately on to try and find Blofelds lair and it is had no importance for the rest of the movie.

Also the whole ninja training part, not at any point did that show any importance or relevance in the movie at all, he still fights exactly the same when he gets to Bolfelds Lair....he never uses a Ninja sword or any of those throwing stars they use. there was literally no point to all this at all.

Sorry for being the one to say it... but its true..

The late 60s was also a time when Ninja and Karate movies was something new and an emerging trend, I get that, and it would have been fine if it had some sort of relevance to the storyline or the rest of the movie....but it doesn't....sorry ...but it doesn't. At least in "Moonraker" (1977) which was right when star wars war is its peak, could justify the painfully cheesy space laser battle with "that's how they took over Drax spacestation." In "You only live twice"; "Making James bond Japanese" with plastic surgery and hair removal, and giving him Ninja training is all maybe 15-20 mins of the movie, all for maybe 5 min of him getting on the island undercover as a newly married couple, he then sleeps there one night, and then they are up early to go out with the fiskermen to investigate the cave where a girl died earlier, and then on to finding Blofelds lair and then it's just all forgotten in the rest of the movie. See what i mean?

And let’s not get started on the fact that they turned James Bond into an Asian by literally glueing on enhanced eye lids, giving him a yellow tan and overly blacking out his hair. But let’s not get further into that.

I think this should either have been cut down drastically or just be left out completely. But thats just my biggest problem with "You only live twice".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:10:51 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: March 22, 2019, 08:29:30 AM
The creeping terror (1964) - 01 / 10

This is one of those movies where I don’t understand why they even bothered releasing it at all.

The back story of the movie is: a guy named “Author J Nelson” scammed a bunch of investors into thinking he was making a big budget horror film. The guy then made a few extremely cheap looking scenes (just to make them think that it was actually happening) and then the guy just disappeared with all the investors money.

So the fact that they even bothered releasing it at all is a bit neck scratching to me.

The movies exactly what you could expect, terribly acted, the monster looks like a a guy in a sleeping bag with stuff glued to it, the plot makes no sense, there are dancing scenes that just goes on for waaay too long (possibly just for the movie to be long enough for them to be able to release it) and the sound is off half of the time too.

The sound is off because Arthur J Nelson accidentally knocked the sound equipment in to Lake Tahoe so they had to add all the sound in post production.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: March 22, 2019, 08:44:42 AM
Space Mutiny (1988) - 01 / 10

This is a South African made space action movie, which I would classify as an extremely cheap knockoff of Starwars or Star Trek.

It is almost painfully cheaply made; all the interiors of the space ship apart from the control room are little literally filmed in a factory....where you can see daylight coming through the factory windows in the background!!!!

And some of the control panels are just PC monitors and keyboards glued to what looks like an MDF plate

Also the movie tries waaaayyy too hard to sexualize all the female cast by having them walk around in swim suits as their uniforms....and even have a disco scene with extreme butt closeups of the captains daughter dancing...

....I guess this was the only way they could prevent people from walking out of the theater....

...and that was maybe the only scene I actually enjoyed in the entire movie. Yeah I’m a guy, don’t blame me!

And usually I wouldn’t be the one to complain about hot females in swimsuits, but it’s just so overly done in this movie that it just makes things awkward.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:00:03 AM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!