Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact Appreciation

windson · 704 · 54523

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Re: Compact Appreciation
Reply #690 on: September 11, 2023, 09:04:01 PM
It's the thinnest 91mm with a scissor and that is its raison d'etre.  I don't use mine much but it's fine if what you need is a scissor and a main blade and maybe open a bottle or can.  The nail file is not great but ok in a pinch.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #691 on: September 12, 2023, 09:24:47 AM
It's the thinnest 91mm with a scissor and that is its raison d'etre.  I don't use mine much but it's fine if what you need is a scissor and a main blade and maybe open a bottle or can.  The nail file is not great but ok in a pinch.

For me, being the thinnest with scissors it of little comfort per-se, while it's fine as a pocket knife, it's not really reliable as a multitool which is my main reason for carrying a SAK and not just a regular pocket knife, I probably use the opener layer more than i use the blade or scissors, and it's definitely for the bottle or can opening features. I rarely open bottles with it, and opened like 2 cans in 40 years of SAK use, literally.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #692 on: September 12, 2023, 06:21:15 PM
I probably use the opener layer more than i use the blade or scissors, and it's definitely for the bottle or can opening features. I rarely open bottles with it, and opened like 2 cans in 40 years of SAK use, literally.

You use the opener layer for bottle or can opening features rarely, but more than you use the blade or scissors?  :think:  :dunno:
- Terry

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #693 on: September 12, 2023, 08:35:01 PM
You use the opener layer for bottle or can opening features rarely, but more than you use the blade or scissors?  :think:  :dunno:

Yes. Because the bottle and can opening functions are the least of my use (or interest) for the opener layer.
The bottle and can opener are my screwdrivers (or bit drivers), my pry tools, scrape tools, prod tools, push tools, even pull tools in the case of the can opener.
Those two combined have probably more frequent use than the blade itself.

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #694 on: September 14, 2023, 12:18:29 PM
Yes. Because the bottle and can opening functions are the least of my use (or interest) for the opener layer.
The bottle and can opener are my screwdrivers (or bit drivers), my pry tools, scrape tools, prod tools, push tools, even pull tools in the case of the can opener.

Got it!  I was misinterpreting what you were saying.  Thanks for clarifying.

I appreciate the Compact for what it is and have the occasion to carry one, but I ensure my screwdriver and awl needs are covered by another tool.  The Leatherman Juice KF4 is one example.
- Terry

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #695 on: September 26, 2023, 12:02:05 PM
That’s true for me as well. I used the scissors the most and then openers but not usually for opening cans or bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline Jazz

Reply #696 on: November 13, 2023, 02:46:24 PM
Loving the Compact so much, I just got 2 more. One will get blue scales, and one, green micarta.

I have 4 now, and all definitely have magnetized rings. Very annoying. I wish Victorinox would at least explain why. I took them off and replaced with similar ones from the fishing section of Canadian Tire.
 Here’s proof…

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #697 on: December 08, 2023, 09:10:58 AM
Is this a good deal?

au Offline Echotech

Reply #698 on: December 08, 2023, 10:55:34 AM
Is this a good deal?

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
That’s less than A$60 (Australian) and here they’re normally at least $90, usually over $100 so I’d say yes but don’t know what you normally pay for them there

:cheers:

Offline victordomingos

Compact Appreciation
Reply #699 on: December 08, 2023, 01:56:18 PM
Got one on sale in Europe for less than 34€ including shipping. I usually carry a SAK with more tools like an Explorer or a SwissChamp but will be trying the Compact paired with the MiniChamp.

I can say that the compact disappears in my jeans pocket, which is nice. Will be a nicer option for summer when using a formal uniform. I just checked and the combo tool flat screwdriver fits perfectly the 3 screws on the trombone (which rarely need any intervention).

The file in the hook is pretty thin, not sure if it can really be of any use. The MiniChamp is a nice complement, since it adds the nail file and cleaner, small blades, a nice small Philips screwdriver and a few other tools.

I have plus scales on the Explorer and SwissChamp, but in the Compact the pen is way more comfortable to use while fitted in the hook slot.

The small screwdriver in the corkscrew will be more useful than ever before, since I am now using non-sun glasses.

For my everyday urban carry, I am pretty sure I will be occasionally missing stuff from the SwissChamp, it happens not to be around. What I won’t be missing is the bulky size and weight
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 03:07:54 PM by victordomingos »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #700 on: December 08, 2023, 03:57:05 PM
Is this a good deal?

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
Assuming everything is legitimate, it is a good deal.  They are usually $50+ these days.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #701 on: December 08, 2023, 09:04:35 PM
Still loving mine! If Santa Elsener is listening, my wishlist starts and ends with an 84mm Alox version :D

* AK9wTyZ[1].jpg (Filesize: 72.51 KB)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #702 on: December 10, 2023, 03:59:33 AM
Black Compact’s are the sexiest. SAK in Black. BKM Black Knives Matter.

ro Offline peski

• The only way to keep sane is temporary insanity
Reply #703 on: January 12, 2024, 05:47:01 PM
Got this for Christmas from my wife. I carry it everyday with me, putting it to work on every occasion.

psk compact tools.jpg
* psk compact tools.jpg (Filesize: 186.29 KB)

Replaced the toothpick & tweezers with red ones. They blend almost perfectly with the scales.

psk compact t&t.jpg
* psk compact t&t.jpg (Filesize: 74.41 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%