Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question to collectors: Value of 1964 Victorinox Soldier?

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Greetings friends

This is my first post after long time. Happy to be back.

Before some days i bought a Soldier of 1964. I spent some time searching for prices on line, but didn't find any currently on sale.
I am going to keep the knife in my collection. I own about 40 saks (Vics and Wengers) but only 4 of them are alox. I am just curious about how rare it is and the value of this knife.

Some pictures

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Re: Question to collectors: Value of 1964 Victorinox Soldier?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:18:14 PM
Hi Antonis,

Looks like a nice one!  The blade doesn't appear to have been re-profiled, or even sharpened to the point of being noticeably short, and I can still see the original glazing on it.  If the rest of the implements are in similar condition and the "walk and talk" is good all the way around, I'd say $150 on a slow day and $225 on a good day.  Some collectors will pay more for the red scales, too, and 1964 was the last year it was standard specification for this model although they appear as late as 1978.  I've noticed lately that these Model 1961's seem to command higher prices in some European countries than the US, especially the early ones.

Edit -- I didn't answer your question about rarity.  62-64 are definitely less common than than 65-67, but a patient buyer can still find a good one.  Yours appears in great shape, much better than average for 1964 I'd say.  Finally, it's an Elsener, not a Wenger, and this will also add to its market value. 

I hope this helps,

Myron

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:09:14 PM
Myron thank you for the enlightening reply.
All impliments on the knife are in top condition.
Happy to know that i own something rare.  :woohoo:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:10:23 PM
I think Myron’s ballpark figures are good if the rest of the tools show no abuse like bending twisting or chips. Anything like that could knock it as low as $100 USD.

From what I can see, the scratches on the main blade are the biggest concern as a buyer. They do not look very deep, but hard to tell in your pictures.

Better pictures and the rest of the tools would need to be shown on both sides to get the upper end of Myron’s range. 
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:12:11 PM
Myron thank you for the enlightening reply.
All impliments on the knife are in top condition.
Happy to know that i own something rare.  :woohoo:

I think $200+ is reasonable for that pic! Perhaps much higher on a good day!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gr Offline Antonis Zita

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 10:49:49 PM
Thank you Kamakiri. Tommorow i will post some better pics.
I was suprised to find such a knife where i live. Not many people collect saks in Greece, but you never know. I bought it from a person who just sells old things on a greek site. It was nothing special for him.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%