Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Upgrading an Autotool

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Upgrading an Autotool
on: May 03, 2020, 04:42:19 PM
Do you have one of these in your collection? I do. I found mine at a flea market for $35.00 The guy I bought it from said the light and the tire pressure thing did not work, but what the hey! The fuse puller and the scraper were in excellent shape so why not?

So home with it it needed a new N90 battery. Got that in and the light sort of worked. I can (flll in your favorite thing here) harder than that light is shining. I took into a dark room for the test. I could not see worth a darn time to upgrade this thing.

Time to get creative. ON the back of the battery cover it gives a number for a bulb, but try to find that on line? Forget it. So the next thing  to get the lens cover off. It has like a watch on the back, things to grip and turn. Looking inside I could see where the tab was, and where it had to go. Tried to turn it. Tight. Next? I can see the end of the tab, perhaps a little persuasion from a pocket screwdriver would help. Got that behind where the tab ended and pried easily. It moved. Now to move it to the "open" position. That done, the lens cover is still tight. Another little persuasion by a SAK blade and it starts to come off.

Now with the bulb in sight, I have to look carefully t it to try to determine what kid of bulb it actually is. With a visor magnifier on I can see more than I need to know. It is just a standard bi-pin flashlight bulb. Like a Solitaire. MY mind went to work.

I have spare bulbs for my single cell MAG lights in an LED -- why not? Carefully I pulled the old bulb and it came out. Noticed which side of the connections went to + and - and inserted the LED. Put in the battery, pushed the switch ..... The result ...

The old bulb is seen on the table and the new bulb is seen in my spare -- find them on E-bay looking for MAG LITE single cell LED's.

The lens cover may not go all the way back on, but it is tight enough to hold it in place. Maybe later I will try a model railroad 1.5v  LED with out the base on it -- but for now it works fine.

Now the tire pressure thing suddenly decided to work. IF that dies, there is a small screw on the top. Somebody said that taking the screw out does nothing. If mine dies, NOTHING IS SAILOR PROOF!  Will keep you informed in case I ever need to get that far.

My impression of this tool is that it will do what it is supposed to do. Namely be handy for anything which needs fixing. Not that you are going to do a major overhaul with thing, but to change a fuse, or clean off light frost, or check your tires when that damn "check tire pressure"  light comes on ... Or any other small item this tool will work. LIKE taking a tail light off to change the bulb. Your only limit is your imagination.

The Aerojet

The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Re: Upgrading an Autotool
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 04:53:16 PM
Do you have one of these in your collection? I do. I found mine at a flea market for $35.00 The guy I bought it from said the light and the tire pressure thing did not work, but what the hey! The fuse puller and the scraper were in excellent shape so why not?

So home with it it needed a new N90 battery. Got that in and the light sort of worked. I can (flll in your favorite thing here) harder than that light is shining. I took into a dark room for the test. I could not see worth a darn time to upgrade this thing.

Time to get creative. ON the back of the battery cover it gives a number for a bulb, but try to find that on line? Forget it. So the next thing  to get the lens cover off. It has like a watch on the back, things to grip and turn. Looking inside I could see where the tab was, and where it had to go. Tried to turn it. Tight. Next? I can see the end of the tab, perhaps a little persuasion from a pocket screwdriver would help. Got that behind where the tab ended and pried easily. It moved. Now to move it to the "open" position. That done, the lens cover is still tight. Another little persuasion by a SAK blade and it starts to come off.

Now with the bulb in sight, I have to look carefully t it to try to determine what kid of bulb it actually is. With a visor magnifier on I can see more than I need to know. It is just a standard bi-pin flashlight bulb. Like a Solitaire. MY mind went to work.

I have spare bulbs for my single cell MAG lights in an LED -- why not? Carefully I pulled the old bulb and it came out. Noticed which side of the connections went to + and - and inserted the LED. Put in the battery, pushed the switch ..... The result ...

(Image removed from quote.)

The old bulb is seen on the table and the new bulb is seen in my spare -- find them on E-bay looking for MAG LITE single cell LED's.

The lens cover may not go all the way back on, but it is tight enough to hold it in place. Maybe later I will try a model railroad 1.5v  LED with out the base on it -- but for now it works fine.

Now the tire pressure thing suddenly decided to work. IF that dies, there is a small screw on the top. Somebody said that taking the screw out does nothing. If mine dies, NOTHING IS SAILOR PROOF!  Will keep you informed in case I ever need to get that far.

My impression of this tool is that it will do what it is supposed to do. Namely be handy for anything which needs fixing. Not that you are going to do a major overhaul with thing, but to change a fuse, or clean off light frost, or check your tires when that damn "check tire pressure"  light comes on ... Or any other small item this tool will work. LIKE taking a tail light off to change the bulb. Your only limit is your imagination.

The Aerojet
Well done, mate

Been watching a video about this model a few days ago and the guy said tire pressure is not repairable since you can’t get to it’s battery. If that’s true - you’re lucky yours came back to life
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:54:14 PM
I am not sure, but if you look closely, you will note that it looks like the "top" of the thing comes off, I am not sure what is all glued together on this unit, but will try to take the screw out and where the front edge is .. looks to be a nail slot to open it up. If that does not come with some slight pull -- then a little glue remover, like Acetone. will be tried along the edges to see if we can get that to loosen up. Stay tuned!

AJ
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:16:54 PM
Very neat tool. Are they still being made? Would love to have one to carry in the car or maybe in a belt pouch.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:17:37 PM
Nope.
Long discontinued

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 07:51:00 PM
Nice work on autotool  :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 11:08:20 PM
Nice find and upgrade aerojet.  :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 11:29:00 PM
Why does Vic always dc some of the most useful tools? I would love to have the Vic Apprentice; fortunately found the ISC equivalent - great simple tool set.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85