Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Time SAK Modder - Needs Help

us Offline gabecar3

• New User
First Time SAK Modder - Needs Help
on: October 20, 2020, 11:19:15 PM
So I've been EDC'ing a SAK for a few years and have been modding knives for about as long.
I want to mod my huntsman into the ideal EDC for me.

Tools I want on it are as follows:
Spydernox
Electrician's blade
Pliers
Hook
full-size scissors
      Scale tools: Tweezers and Pen

Tools I have from the Huntsman are as follows:
Big Blade
Small Blade
Wood Saw
full-size scissors
can opener
bottle opener
awl
hook
corkscrew
      Scale tools: Tweezers, toothpick, and Pen

I'm fine with buying another SAK if it's a better base or if it has the missing tools.

I put together a SAK at the factory when I was on vacation there so I'm not worried about the assembly side of it, I'm more concerned with:
A - Can I fit these tools on a SAK?
B - how do they go on?

I have no idea how to go about this and couldn't find a lot of info of anything similar to this on the current forums so any ideas, help, advice is very much appreciated.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: First Time SAK Modder - Needs Help
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:30:02 AM

Welcome to  :MTO:

Before jumping right into how best to fit what tools onto your future mod, maybe you could let us know re the following tools you want to add onto Huntsman? 
Or these are the only tools you want on your mod?

Spydernox
Electrician's blade
Pliers
Hook
full-size scissors
      Scale tools: Tweezers and Pen

A)  Depending on your answer to the previous question, most are very doable, except fitting the small Spyderco blade.  The easiest route usually is finding the right 'tools' from existing chassis, then figure out a way to retrofit them together.  Pliers/Hook/Scissors could easily be found on many models and easily put together.

Electrician's blade is not too commonly found on 91mm, I think currently in production knife would be XLT but that is an expensive chassis to sacrifice just for a mod(personally, YMMV).  Another way is to find a 91mm Master Electrician(discontinued model, once offered exclusively from SMKW) and take the Electrician's blade and pliers from that chassis. 

If you could find Master Electrician 2nd hand and combined it with the Huntman's tools, I think you would pretty much have the mod you want, except the small Spyderco blade.

B) I would recommend reading some tutorial from the stickies, Gareth has put together a really good one which covers many aspect about SAK modding:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html

And you could also find my step-by-step guide for 91mm mod there.

Good luck with your mod!  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: First Time SAK Modder - Needs Help
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:48:31 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: some solid advice form, comis :salute: It has been a month since your initial post and I hope you have read up some and not given up on your mod idea :ahhh It seems to be a bit of a challenge when first starting but once you begin it is much easier than you would think :tu: Good luck with whatever you end up doing :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%