Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheaths and pouches 1555

Full Member Posts: 167
Sheaths and pouches
« on: May 05, 2020, 05:12:51 PM »
Seems these things never seem to fit our needs. Holds the tool perfectly but only vertically. Or the belt loops allow it to flop about,always catches on the seat belt etc. a belt hook works about the same,always pops off when you least expect it. Nylon with Velcro always frays or the Velcro wears out in under a year. Leather with a snap closure is top of the line but has same belt loop and different position carry. Add in small pockets for bit sets or flashlights and they get thicker and heavier. What's the best solution??
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,968 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Sheaths and pouches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
Make your own, to best suit your needs/use.

:pok: :pok:

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 4,775
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
I'm in this same boat with my carryall. I have a Custom LeatherCraft that has a large pocket for my phone, two pockets that can hold any combo of knife, light, multitool, and/or a small hand tool, as well as a clip for my keys. I like it as I can carry what I need to get work done, all without looking like Batman, a soldier, or a cop with a ton of sheaths on my belt.  I can't stand the Velcro, the pockets are too tall for all but my largest MTs and folders, and the key hook is a flimsy plastic one-piece carabiner that has messed up more than once. Carry options are pretty bad. Either use the tape measure-like clip and have the thing fall off; use the loose belt loop that slides all over the place, or the huge horizontal slot bigger than any belt I have ever seen, including USGI pistol belts. I'm getting a Skinth this time, in Digicam, with a quick-release buckle instead of the Velcro.
No Life Club Posts: 2,511
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 08:01:50 PM »
Here's a wild, crazy idea... :ahhh

Why don't manufacturers just sell the knife/tool with the option of a sheath to actually fit the item? :think: You know, I buy a Vic' something or other or a LM wotsit and have the option of adding a sheath/pouch or slip etc to match (not a generic fits 4-8 layers, looking baggy, or vice-versa and ill thought out)

This is particulary grating if I buy a nice slim Alox variant, at a premium and then have to make do with some poorly executed monstrosity which I wouldn't use as a pooper scooper (Vic' anyone  :rant: )

I know that I would have paid extra for a suitable item if it was an option. As it is Vic' LM et-al are losing my hard earned to others simply because they are lazy  :twak:

What say you.. :dunno:

They don't like it up 'em!
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,527
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
I'm in the boat that says, make your own sheath to suit you.  A little trial and error ( have you seen my homemade sheath? ) and you'll come up with a nice solution.  Its pretty fun too.   :pok: 

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 3,640
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
For slimmer knives, I am a fan of the pocket slips and clip sheaths made by Collector Knives. High quality leather that wears well for an affordable price. I am doing the Soldier challenge, and it rides well in this clipped to anything. Gym shorts waistband, pockets, belt, you name it.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,527
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
 :like: Those are nice. 

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 1,886
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »
Personally, I'm really more of a pocket clip or loose pocket carry guy than a sheath or pouch guy for pretty much everything except fixed blades.

If it's a topic you're interested in, though, you might want to check out the Sheaths, Bags, Packs, and Carry Methods sub-forum:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,38.0.html
No Life Club Posts: 2,511
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »
Here's a wild, crazy idea... :ahhh

Why don't manufacturers just sell the knife/tool with the option of a sheath to actually fit the item? :think: You know, I buy a Vic' something or other or a LM wotsit and have the option of adding a sheath/pouch or slip etc to match (not a generic fits 4-8 layers, looking baggy, or vice-versa and ill thought out)

This is particulary grating if I buy a nice slim Alox variant, at a premium and then have to make do with some poorly executed monstrosity which I wouldn't use as a pooper scooper (Vic' anyone  :rant: )

I know that I would have paid extra for a suitable item if it was an option. As it is Vic' LM et-al are losing my hard earned to others simply because they are lazy  :twak:

What say you.. :dunno:
I put my money where my mouth is... :ahhh
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2881.msg2121894.html#msg2121894

They don't like it up 'em!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »
I put my money where my mouth is... :ahhh
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2881.msg2121894.html#msg2121894
Nice! Hope you enjoy. I love how leather develops character over time.
Point Of No Return Posts: 30,418 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 01:08:02 AM »
Make your own, to best suit your needs/use.

:pok: :pok:

:cheers: :tu:
Totally! Idk the odds that you’ll ever find the perfect sheath that fits your needs, thus the best way is to make or have one made..
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:03:26 AM »
For slimmer knives, I am a fan of the pocket slips and clip sheaths made by Collector Knives. High quality leather that wears well for an affordable price. I am doing the Soldier challenge, and it rides well in this clipped to anything. Gym shorts waistband, pockets, belt, you name it.

Dude, c'mon! Calvin Klein pouches?!

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,606
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »
There are plenty of great pouches and sheaths out there on the marketplace really and finding the right one for your particular needs is just a further search exactly like where we try to find the right tool in the first place!

I am partial to RipOffs Brand carriers as they are made in a decent variety of configurations and setups,are pretty inexpensive and are made of high quality materials throughout in the USA.
I have and have had several and use them every day for 20 years in some cases and they are an important part of my EDC as much as any of the stuff that I stick in them.

I also like SKINTH a lot but they are anything but easily available or cheap enough to try until I get it right.

There are many Law Enforcement options and I am sorry if you don't want to look like a first responder or batman but then maybe you should rethink the carry in the first place if you don't want the most convenient yet public means of carry too?

So in the end I like hunting for the right carrier almost as much as I do for the things that go in them and it is almost always less pricey too for an item that should work for a long time and with a variety of similar tools!

I too wish that some things shipped with worthy decent holders for sure though,they rarely seem anything but a cheap afterthought if at all?
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 03:13:46 PM »
Dude, c'mon! Calvin Klein pouches?!

:facepalm:
:rofl:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,268
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 05:27:26 AM »
I love my OffChute pouch which I use as a pocket organizer in a cargo short pocket.

I have one that has a belt loop on the back for when I don’t have cargo shorts, but it is not ideal for that of you move around a lot because the slot pockets aren’t real tight.
Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 4,427
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 02:28:40 AM »
I'm in this same boat with my carryall. I have a Custom LeatherCraft that has a large pocket for my phone, two pockets that can hold any combo of knife, light, multitool, and/or a small hand tool, as well as a clip for my keys. I like it as I can carry what I need to get work done, all without looking like Batman, a soldier, or a cop with a ton of sheaths on my belt.  I can't stand the Velcro, the pockets are too tall for all but my largest MTs and folders, and the key hook is a flimsy plastic one-piece carabiner that has messed up more than once. Carry options are pretty bad. Either use the tape measure-like clip and have the thing fall off; use the loose belt loop that slides all over the place, or the huge horizontal slot bigger than any belt I have ever seen, including USGI pistol belts. I'm getting a Skinth this time, in Digicam, with a quick-release buckle instead of the Velcro.
You can always stuff the bottom of the pockets with something to take up the extra space so your shorter tools or knives fit better. Examples of useful items to take up that space would be a couple of CR123 flashlight batteries wrapped in plastic, some cotton smeared with Vasoline for fire starter wrapped in plastic, a small plastic container with pills, or a micro first aid kit, or a micro fishing kit, micro screw driver bit kit, even a small magnet could sit in the bottom of those pockets so the knife or tool would sit higher and be easier to grab. :tu:
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »
You can always stuff the bottom of the pockets with something to take up the extra space so your shorter tools or knives fit better. Examples of useful items to take up that space would be a couple of CR123 flashlight batteries wrapped in plastic, some cotton smeared with Vasoline for fire starter wrapped in plastic, a small plastic container with pills, or a micro first aid kit, or a micro fishing kit, micro screw driver bit kit, even a small magnet could sit in the bottom of those pockets so the knife or tool would sit higher and be easier to grab. :tu:

Or... you can have another SAK.

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD