Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge XTI vs. TTI: 2 Tools Enter, 1 Tool Leaves

us Offline 43north89west

• Tool Dabbler, Beer Dribbler
Charge XTI vs. TTI: 2 Tools Enter, 1 Tool Leaves
on: May 05, 2020, 05:18:46 PM

Hello MTO! A recent bout of Covid-related impulsive/bored Ebaying and some timing/communication snafus has landed me a pair of vintage Charges: an XTI circa 2005 (below, left) and a TTI circa 2008 (below, right).

The XTI arrived in very good condition, outside tools in pristine shape, little to no rust/grime, thought the pliers and main handle pivots are a little on the stiff side. Also the the "LEATHERMAN CHARGE" branding on the scales seems to have been ground down a little too far and the clarity of the letters is not as crisp as on the TTI.

The TTI arrived pretty dirty with a fair amount of surface rust/gunk on most tools and inside the frame. The very tip of the S30V main blade was chipped, serrated blade and diamond file a little more worn than the XTI. There are some faint initial-like scratches in the pliers pivot on both sides as well as what appears to be a very faint laser engraving on one of the scales ("Nicholas M Wright NCMB 24").

Both tools have been well cleaned in soapy water, teflon lube and 3-in-one oil

I find myself in a conundrum. I don't need both tools. I'm looking for one of these to become a 1a/1b EDC with my Center Drive+. The overall condition of the XTI is cleaner, but I think I prefer the inner toolset of the TTI (I feel like scissors are likely more useful than a second bit exchanger). I'm on the fence on whether the more pristine 154CM blade on the XTI or the retouched S30V with a slightly stubby tip on the TTI is the better choice - I'm certainly no expert on blade steels. I'm tempted to make a FrankenCharge using the frame and outer tools of the XTI and the inner tools of the TTI and swap some of the scales for aesthetics. I've never fully taken apart a multitool which makes me a little nervous and I don't know how desirable the resultant secondary FrankenCharge would be for resale. Am I better off keeping both tools stock and choosing functionality over aesthetics? I am turning to the great MTO hive-mind of much more knowledgeable tool folks to help my analysis paralysis and guide me to the holy grail of titanium toolage. Im down the MT rabbit hole now - HELP! :ahhh :dunno: ???

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:26:51 PM by 43north89west »

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Re: Charge XTI vs. TTI: 2 Tools Enter, 1 Tool Leaves
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 06:11:15 PM
I have both tools. If it were me I would EDC the Tti because of the scissors. Also, the XTi is somewhat rare, so I put mine away.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 06:12:57 PM
Great score :like: I would keep them stock and buy more :whistle: :rofl:

I prefer the tools of The Tti more ;) Double bit drivers can be handy in some places but I'd rather have scissors :cheers:

Overall it depends on you if you want to take them apart and make 1 extremely usable tool :salute: They both look like great users to me as is though :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 06:13:30 PM
 :iagree: with genevabuck :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 08:21:19 PM
Had an XTi but for some unknown reason sold it  :cry:

I do have a Charge ALX which has the double bit holders.  They would be are great IF you really use a variety of bits often.  You can keep the bits you use ready to go in each holder.  Not having scissors wont be an issue since you'll be running your Center Drive, more on that tho. 

Now you do loose the flat driver of the TTi by going with the XTi.  To me the biggest deciding factor is those double bit holders and IMO loss of the flat driver.  I don't use 2 particular bits so often as to need to keep them ready in bit holders.  I do use the flat driver enough tho so the loss would be notable.

Knife steels.  S30V vs 154CM.  So heres my take.  We like what we like for any reason and no reason at all.  We like what we like.  I like both so its a draw for me.  Keep your edges tuned up and you'll be fine with either.  Heck even LMs 420 is good so long as you keep it tuned up.  They all cut and cut well.  Try to not let any marginal "advantage" that one might have over the other that most would not notice influence you.  Even those who rigorously test for the sole purpose of edge retention, ease of sharpening, toughness, etc only show small overall percentages of difference. 

We like what we like.  If you like one over the other then lean in that direction.  If you have no real preference then lean to the range of implements that work best for you.  I like the nicer steels as much as the next person.  Between 154CM and S30V  :dunno: both are great. 

So if I were you, I'd chose the tools that best compliments your Center Drive + AND can stand alone.  To me that is the TTi because it has scissors.     

Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 10:22:38 PM
Awarded and congrats on your first badge.   :cheers:

Put the parts you like into one, either standard franken or skinny franken.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%