Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New modder looking for advice to make Cadet X/Super Cadet but w/ inline phillips

ippo · 10 · 1608

00 Offline ippo

• New User
Hey guys I'm fairly new to this modding scene and I want to make the SAK of my dreams. I'm planning on doing a Cadet X/Super Cadet but was wondering if adding inline phillips on the same layer as the Golfer scissors would interfere with the scissors.I was thinking of using the inline phillips from an Explorer or similar. I have watched a few videos and checked out Myrons build thread here on multitool.org so I believe I have a good of idea of what to do but I'm just worried the phillips might "screw" this up.  I'm also searching for brass pins but I have had no luck finding 2.25mm in Canada right now. Thanks for checking this out and thanks for any advice/help you give!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Hey guys I'm fairly new to this modding scene and I want to make the SAK of my dreams. I'm planning on doing a Cadet X/Super Cadet but was wondering if adding inline phillips on the same layer as the Golfer scissors would interfere with the scissors.I was thinking of using the inline phillips from an Explorer or similar. I have watched a few videos and checked out Myrons build thread here on multitool.org so I believe I have a good of idea of what to do but I'm just worried the phillips might "screw" this up.  I'm also searching for brass pins but I have had no luck finding 2.25mm in Canada right now. Thanks for checking this out and thanks for any advice/help you give!

Hi, ippo!  Welcome to  :MTO: !

Adding inline phillips into Alox SAKs had been done many times on this board, but usually together with can and bottle opener on the opposing end in a 93mm chassis, since the length of these tools implements may not fit otherwise(see syph007 post).  It's also been done on 91mm by Max recently, but the can/bottle openers both need trimming.  I haven't checked whether someone has done something similar on 84mm, but I would imagine it may be possible with 84mm can/bottle openers(since they are shorter)

And about installing the 84 scissors and inline phillips on the same layer, I believe that's not entirely possible since the scissors take up pretty much take all the cavity of the entire 84mm chassis, it will have to occupy a layer by itself.

00 Offline ippo

• New User
Thanks for the reply I'll go check out his post now. I wasn't too sure the phillips would have fit wit the scissors cause they are quite long. If I really wanted to get the phillips on I guess I would have to move the bottle/can opener to the same side then. Now that I think about it with both openers on the same side the inline phillips should hopefully have enough room. Is putting both on the same side a challenge?

00 Offline ippo

• New User
I actually just thought of this but I could do a Pioneer X but swap the awl for the inline phillips. Everything should be perfectly fine to my knowledge. It may be a bit larger than the Cadet but might make for a good switch between my daily edc. I still need help finding some replacement pins in Canada or NA if anyone has any ideas!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Have you ever put the awl and philips besides each other? :pok:

Sadly it's not going to work.
The inline philips is waaaay wider than the awl.

Also, the backsprings can't just take any tool you want them to. Each spring is designed to take the specific tool meant in it's location.
Spring modifications are needed for some options (like the philips opposite the openers one)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for the reply I'll go check out his post now. I wasn't too sure the phillips would have fit wit the scissors cause they are quite long. If I really wanted to get the phillips on I guess I would have to move the bottle/can opener to the same side then. Now that I think about it with both openers on the same side the inline phillips should hopefully have enough room. Is putting both on the same side a challenge?
That is what I was trying to say in my previous post.--if you are putting an inline phillips with two 91mm openers in the same layer, it will work for 93mm Alox or even 91mm cellidor model(with fair bit of modding), but on 84 cadet, I am sure those 91mm tools won't work(since they are too long and totally overlapping with the phillips).  However, there maybe a chance if you are using 84mm cellidor models' openers, but I would suggest to study/research tool/spring compatibility before doing it.

Have you ever put the awl and philips besides each other? :pok:

Sadly it's not going to work.
The inline philips is waaaay wider than the awl.

Also, the backsprings can't just take any tool you want them to. Each spring is designed to take the specific tool meant in it's location.
Spring modifications are needed for some options (like the philips opposite the openers one)

:iagree: I too would recommend thinking it thru before buying or doing the mods.

00 Offline ippo

• New User
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm gonna do some more research and wait till I get the tools in my hands before I do anything. I think I'll stick to the Cadet with the scissors and find a different SAK or mod I like with the inline phillips!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Hi Ippo and welcome to MTo. 

I look forward to seeing your project, and I'm glad you're inspired to build a Super Cadet.  It's an easy and fun project to start with. 

Good luck!

Myron

us Offline Simyo

I guess it depends on if you’re trying to build a yeoman/explorer or an urban cadet x

If you want to put the inline mag glass and phillips on it than you will need an old gray mag glass a new shorter Vic phillips and a recruit blade spring.  You will have to reshape the spring and the phillips to work correctly but it will all work.

If you want to do an urban cadet x, similar to this build https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83350.0.html with the openers across from the phillips.  Then you will need the following items
A wenger phillips
2 old style opener springs and 1 set of openers.
You will have to reshape the spring for the bottle opener.

I hope this helps, good luck man

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I guess it depends on if you’re trying to build a yeoman/explorer or an urban cadet x

If you want to put the inline mag glass and phillips on it than you will need an old gray mag glass a new shorter Vic phillips and a recruit blade spring.  You will have to reshape the spring and the phillips to work correctly but it will all work.

If you want to do an urban cadet x, similar to this build https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83350.0.html with the openers across from the phillips.  Then you will need the following items
A wenger phillips
2 old style opener springs and 1 set of openers.
You will have to reshape the spring for the bottle opener.

I hope this helps, good luck man
These are great tips! :tu:    And I'd forgotten about Jaya's mod, should have brought that up. :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%