Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tools and multitools

it Offline balvenie

Tools and multitools
on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:34 PM
Certainly you have to watch this
I have nothing against corkscrew, i'm Italian!!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Tools and multitools
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 11:08:19 PM
I got 4 of 5 and they are great to have around. That first one is also known for causing plenty of dentistry work. (The stop pin can be undone while it is still under load - typically a lowering operation done wrong if I remember right. If the breaking bar is down when that happens the breaking bar will come up again with significant speed and force. And as you just bent down to mingle with the mechanism your head might be just around where it comes swinging upwards).

I also prefer chain come alongs to the wire ones. If a wire breaks it might come whipping for you. Chains are safer that way.

The axe hammer combo was new to me. I got axes, I got hammers - but somehow the combo of having an axe pointing towards me when hammering just seems like a accident waiting to happen? Might be just me.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:52:05 AM
The axe hammer combo was new to me. I got axes, I got hammers - but somehow the combo of having an axe pointing towards me when hammering just seems like a accident waiting to happen? Might be just me.

I don't have the exact model shown in the video, but I like them for camping.  It's handy to have a hatchet or small axe that can also be used to pound in tent stakes and the like.  If you happen to have two, even better.  I'm sure the manufacturer would not have approved of this use, but on a particularly stubborn piece of wood I've used one as a splitting wedge, and the other as a hammer to drive the first one through the wood.

I've heard others worry about having the axe pointing toward them when using the hammer as well.  Respectfully, though, I think this concern is largely unfounded.  When using other types of hammers (claw, ball peen, sledge, etc.) how often/how many times have you managed to hit yourself with the back side of the hammer?  Come close to hitting yourself with the back side of the hammer?  I'm guessing the answer is probably never/none.  Now, just because something hasn't happened to you before doesn't mean it can't, but I've never heard of or read about a case of someone accidentally injuring themselves with the axe portion while using the hammer portion.  I think an injury from the part of the tool you are intending to strike with is a much greater risk, i.e. if you miss your target, strike a glancing blow, or drive through the target with poor limb placement.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:03:30 AM
Respectfully, though, I think this concern is largely unfounded.  When using other types of hammers (claw, ball peen, sledge, etc.) how often/how many times have you managed to hit yourself with the back side of the hammer?  Come close to hitting yourself with the back side of the hammer?  I'm guessing the answer is probably never/none.

Never underestimate my clumsiness :D It is a good point though.

On the other hand if something can happen it usually will to someone at some point. I'd also hesitate to use my own experience or lack of specific accidents as much of an indicator for something being safe. After all there are all kinds of causes for accidents out there in the world and I've only been exposed to a few of them. The other ones are still risky.

I'm sure for those who are used to it and handle it regularly it becomes second nature. For me though it seems like an unnecessary risk compared to the benefits I might have from that tool over two separate tools. (I'd still need something to remove nails so I'd end up with two tools anyway).

Still interesting to see and know that there is such a beast if I should ever have a need for one.  :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:17:57 PM
You can always leave the cover over the blade while using the hammer.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:59:44 PM
That would remove any perceived risks, but also take away some from the unique usability?

Either way I don't think that particular one is for me. I've used normal axes the other way around to hammer stuff in a pinch, and that is a concept I'd like to do less of - not more. It might be just me, but I've never felt comfortable with that.

I do get how it can make sense for camping and framing, but I don't use tents and I rarely have to frame anything. We all have different uses and preferences though.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 04:47:32 AM
You can always leave the cover over the blade while using the hammer.

I usually do this, but not always.  Keeping the cover on doesn't interfere with using the tool as a hammer and prevents the cover from getting lost.  Also, I'm (most of the time) not switching rapidly between using the tool as an axe and using it as a hammer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%