Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Cybertool can have any colour, as long as it is black

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Fellow knights,

I have come to an insight which I would like to share with you: Cybertools can have any colour, as long as it is black.

I first came to realize this during the recent stacked SAK challenge. In the course of that challenge, my suspicion was confirmed that - at least in my opinion - the CT 34 is the best currently available SAK for city dwellers.

Yet somehow I had never taken it entirely serious. I realized this might be due to the translucent scales, which give the CT a gimmicky and slightly frivolous appearance.

At the end of the challenge, I slapped black scales on the CT 34 and immediately noticed the CT 34 becoming more serious and statesmanlike. A bit boring, maybe, but in a good and professional way. Like replacing a flashy gameshow host by someone who has a PhD in physics...

I have EDC'ed the black CT 34 ever since (Soldier challenge excepted). By now I am convinced all Cybertools are held back by their translucent scales. They are overpriced, too, but at least for me this was not the main reason not to carry one. It really was the scales.

I have now put black scales on the CT Lite as well. And again I noticed that the black scales complement the black bit holder perfectly. And that the CT Lite has become a better SAK for that.

I wanted to share this insight with the community and would be most interested to know what you all think of my finding.

Cheers,

Simon
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:39:01 PM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: A Cybertool can have any colour, as long as it is black
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:05:25 AM
It does look posh.

I always say - when it comes to SAKs the scale material and color is a functional feature in and of itself.  Alox is meant to be a bit more rugged, though it lacks the scale tools.  But more importantly, the Cellidor scale color is a function of the tool.  If you were using the Cybertool as an IT guy in a bank, the translucent scales would help to disarm your coworkers who are nervous that you have a knife.  If you had red or dayglow scales, you're more likely to find a misplaced tool when you're camping. Black is like a tuxedo for your Vic.  I have a friend whos a non-knife guy but an avid hiker. His SAK has blue Saphire scales to match his gear loadout. 

I put red scales on my SwissChamp and black scales on my Compact - because the SwissChamp goes camping and the Compact goes to celebrations at restaurants.

I know some people think the red Cellidor looks cheap, but it also looks harmless. 

ca Offline Tet

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 03:13:49 AM
Looks very slick!  Yes, like a tuxedo!  It looks like it should be used to open champagne or a nice single malt, no beer for that one!
  You're right EB, while sometimes for us Knights the red cellidor can be a bit old hat, they definitely project a non-threatening image.  There wouldn't be many around who wouldn't instantly recognize it for what it is and not be worried. (be worried?  Sorry Mrs. Thomson, i know, too many double negatives again!)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 03:27:39 AM
If it's black nylon that is. The CT is in the working knife category for me (general tinkering knife), so nylon is a must-have. Currently, mine has red scales on it, but only because the hunter green University of Miami scales it came with are warped badly.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 06:32:46 AM
Meh. Dunno Simon.

My original knife is black and I like it. But most of the CTs look right in their original translucent IMO. My second (actually third) SAK is an OG red 1999 CT34 with the ‘solid’ plus scale. Nothing else would look right to me on that particular knife.

But I might have to test out your theory on say a mod with CT layer in it.

Or if Victorinox would do something a little spendy like making a CT/PS/LE...I’d buy that. After suffering the initial sticker shock required.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 10:33:01 AM
In prefer mine when it looks like it's ready to party.

Stay glo for lyfe

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:43:48 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
Stay glo for lyfe

:cheers:  All you need is a slice of lime (sliced with the SAK of course), and you have yourself a Kentucky Mule   :drink:

The transulcent scales give me a sense of futurism .... being able to look in and see he inner workings of the SAK, so to speak.  I think it's a nice touch on the CT personally. 

I think the Stay-glow scales are a perfect example of a very functional color.  The Rescue Tool is perfect in Stay-glow... easy to find in a bag, and when actually being used to extricate someone from a wrecked car, you can put it down to free up both hands, and quickly find it again. 
As a kid, while I had SAKs but wasn't yet a SAK-nut .....  I remember looking at the Boy Scouts catalog .... when the "Offical" knives were made by Camillus.  The BSA Huntsman was actually a Fieldmaster  :think:  There was a Climber in Stay-glow scales in the BSA lineup too....  I always thought as a kid that this was an unattractive but very functional feature.  I think a Hiker would have been more useful than a Climber for a Scout.  Then there's the camo scales - these serve a purpose too.... but who wants to be able to hide their knife from themselves.   ::)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 05:54:12 PM
The black one does look nice!
But the second best scale color for the CT is green (like my EDC SAK). Best one is this, which is also very rare:

https://vicfan.com/2013/07/victorinox-cybertool-34-in-translucent-orange/

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 06:06:47 PM
But the second best scale color for the CT is green (like my EDC SAK). Best one is this, which is also very rare:

That looks better on the bigger SAKs than it does on the Spartan.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 07:02:26 PM
That looks better on the bigger SAKs than it does on the Spartan.

The ones on the Spartan are a different shade of orange, and also non plus :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 07:03:59 PM
The ones on the Spartan are a different shade of orange, and also non plus :tu:

:o

Where'd you find them?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 07:27:28 PM
It does look posh.

I always say - when it comes to SAKs the scale material and color is a functional feature in and of itself.  Alox is meant to be a bit more rugged, though it lacks the scale tools.  But more importantly, the Cellidor scale color is a function of the tool.  If you were using the Cybertool as an IT guy in a bank, the translucent scales would help to disarm your coworkers who are nervous that you have a knife.  If you had red or dayglow scales, you're more likely to find a misplaced tool when you're camping. Black is like a tuxedo for your Vic.  I have a friend whos a non-knife guy but an avid hiker. His SAK has blue Saphire scales to match his gear loadout. 

I put red scales on my SwissChamp and black scales on my Compact - because the SwissChamp goes camping and the Compact goes to celebrations at restaurants.

I know some people think the red Cellidor looks cheap, but it also looks harmless.

I just pictured before my inner eye the situation where the IT guy in the bank gets out his translucent CT to fix something and nobody gives him a second glance. Then the same take but the CT is black or camo: someone shouts "he has a weapon!" while the security guard opens fire. I agree translucent scales are a better option in this particular scenario :salute:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:47:13 PM by Simon_Templar »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 07:31:37 PM
Stay glo for lyfe

Stay glow rules, too bad you cannot find these scales in Europe

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 07:34:20 PM

I agree dark green would be super cool. The orange scales are not my cup of tea though, a bit too conspicuous for my liking (although admittedly pretty)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:45:58 PM by Simon_Templar »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:59 PM

Always nice to see that one. I imagine it has ‘99 or ‘00 date coding since it’s solid plus.

How about a front side pic?

It difinitly isn’t the same as the Spartans...looks more like the 58mm type, but darker?
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%