Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How does the Power Access compare to the PowerPlay?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
They're both roughly the same price. Access has a pocket clip, Play has more tools. Are they the same size? Other thoughts?

Charles.

• No Life Club
Re: How does the Power Access compare to the PowerPlay?
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 02:41:35 AM
Well, since nobody actually answered, I bought both!

The PowerPlay is only slightly larger than the PowerAccess. The Play has larger, longer tips. However, they're actually several mm thinner than the PowerAccess pliers. The Play has rounded scales that make it more comfortable to hold and bear down on, but they also add width. The handles are deeper and the tools are larger as well. The OHO tools especially are very large. The two blades are exceptional. Large, useful, and sharp.

The phillips driver in the Access is better. The one in the Play is not formed as well. It comes to too sharp a tip and the flutes are just not as well formed. It cams out of screws FAR more easily than the Access driver. The tool locks on the Play are annoying. They require both thumb and index finger pressing on both lock nubs in order to unlock the tools. It's awkward and painful, but it's also something you'll probably get used to quickly. The Access lock is super easy to press and in the right place. But sometimes if tools clump the tool can move past the lock tab and open too far. No biggie, just close the other tools and it locks back properly.The file in the Access is really good, the file in the Play is completely useless.

To summerize:

PowerPlay Pros:
Large PE and SE OHO blades
Saw
Rounded handles, comfortable to hold both open and closed
Better Cutters
Comes with two sheaths
Bigger tools all around

PowerPlay Cons:
Worthless file
No pocket clip
Thinner (and thus weaker) pliers
Half are inside tools
Phillips driver could be better
Somewhat awkward to open tools, and some require opening other tools before their nail nicks are exposed
Painful, awkward tool unlock buttons

PowerAccess Pros:
Pocket Clip
Identically sized pliers, but smaller and lighter form factor
Looks cooler
File is well formed and works great
Excellent phillips driver
All tools open on outside
Easy to open tools, all have a nail nick. Intuitive to thumb lock while pulling on tool to make it easier to grab with a nail

PowerAccess Cons
Less comfortable to hold
No OHO tools
No saw
Tools are physically smaller. Blade is more like a letter opener
Slightly more flex to frame (BUT it has a notch that helps reduce flex)

The two tools are really close in versatility and use. It really comes down to what you want more. A pocket clip and a good file in a compact package, or big knives and a saw with more comfortable handles.

Personally, I think the PowerAccess is the winner because of the slimness, pocket clip, excellent file, and superior phillips. But if I had to use the tool all day, the PowerPlay is a lot easier on the hands... except the thumb. My thumb still hurts from that stupid tool lock. It might be closer if the PowerPlay had a usable file, but only slightly.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:43:18 AM
I used my power play all day today in the garage. The screwdriver camming out was a constant annoyance, but I did love the easy access to the blades. I used the saw quite a bit too, cutting notches in plywood to let wires pass through. I pride and grabbed and basically gave it a good breaking in.

One other thing to compare, when really bearing down with the screwdriver tool, the gears of the power play dig into my palm uncomfortably. The power access doesn’t do that at all. There is more plier material there and the gears are tucked in closer. So the access has a better Phillips and it’s less painful to use it too.

Still, I do like this tool. I’m getting used to the locks, and all I really wish is that it had a pocket clip.

Charles. 

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 06:01:01 PM
The more I use the PowerPlay, the more I get used to the locks, and the more the locks loosen up. I like the tool, but I'd like it a lot more if it used standard tools. I'd love to swap out the useless file for the wire stripper tool, but alas the locking mechanism and tool shape is different. Different enough that I can't just dremel and file the part to fit either.

I'm really digging the OHO blades, i'm using them a lot more than I thought I would. Tool is breaking in and loosening up nicely.

Found the black metal inlays in the handle come out... thinking about painting mine red!

Charles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD