Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Those annoying little wear and tear issues

Offline stugumby

Those annoying little wear and tear issues
on: May 16, 2020, 02:04:49 AM
Seems that once you get the edc collecting frenzy going we seem to get more and more tools/toys to play with and occasianally break/bend them but not bad enough for return etc. Heres my list of things that arent bad enough for warranty turn in but get under my skin.
1. skeletool cx, has  stiff pliers, moves smoothly just a bit stiff. has been lubed and blown out with compressed air etc. not worth the warranty postage.
2. swisstool, the chisel has been reprofiled/sharpened, same with the small screwdriver. still works but the chisel looks ugly.2002 model, didnt want to return it due to get back a later model with hideous grip width.
3. victorinox mechanic has had the blade heated and slightly discolored.
4 leatherman wave 2nd gen sheath with the velcro over flap, looks like the side elastics are fraying, front velcro is worn out, made a small sewing store velcro purchase to wrap around and close over the front. no warranty on these at all.
5.Gerber mp 400 was bought second hand so it has a name engraved on it. done right but ehhh.
6. have been married 30 yrs, wife still dosnt listen, dont want new one with unknown skills? younger model will be more expensive, needy and clingy.
7.MUTT has a loose screw on the pocket clip, loctited it and it sits unused for years.

whats your annoyance list?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Those annoying little wear and tear issues
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 03:44:41 AM
6. have been married 30 yrs, wife still dosnt listen, dont want new one with unknown skills? younger model will be more expensive, needy and clingy.

:rofl:

I love how you slipped that one in at #6 out of seven.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 04:30:09 AM
 :iagree: :rofl:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 06:16:33 AM
Most of my tools were bought new, then used within their limits.

It's me that has the annoying wear and tear issues, not the tools.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:24:35 AM
I learn to live with the constant effort that is maintaining a bike, or boat, or house. It's like they design them to keep you busy...

As far as Tools go, the only thing that I can think off is my 2004 Wave that has become too floppy for pocketclip carry, it just turns into a ninja star in the pocket.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 10:02:13 AM
7.MUTT has a loose screw on the pocket clip, loctited it and it sits unused for years.

Better without the clip, IMHO. Add shorter screws from the replaceable cutters in the two holes and you are sorted.

I'm more annoyed with QC issues than wear and tear.

Pete

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 12:29:07 AM

I'm not one to use a warranty for wear and tear issues.  I feel like it becomes an expense for the company that they are just going to recover with a future price hike or decrease in future warranty agreements. 

Fortunately, I haven't had many issues.

- a folder that has rust/patina in the lanyard hole, and some very minor decomposition in the scale around the hole.... is by far my most annoying wear and tear issue.  The lanyard itself was made of leather and therefore held on to moisture unbeknownst to me.  When I realized what happened, I took out the lanyard and polished it the best I could. This still bothers me to no end.

- I have a slipjoint with discoloration from heat

- Pliers tip snapped off a Leatherman ST.  I used it for years that way because it was just a few millimeters and didn't really alter the function of the tool.  When I discovered that Leatherman will send you an upgraded tool, I decided to go in for a warranty.  The tool was 20 years old, and I was sure they would give me something new and exciting - I was really looking forward to it because I didn't much like the ST, and I already had a Wave that I liked and had liked the Sideclip when I had a chance to use that.  It turns out - they repaired the pliers and returned it to me complete with the telltale scratch on the outside of the handle (which didn't bother me).  Disappointed, I promptly sold it off. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:19:34 AM

I love how you slipped that one in at #6 out of seven.

:iagree: :rofl:

Like AimlessWanderer, I don't use them hard enough to know all the wears and tears, but have to admit my recent discovery of many my LM pliers may bind with only moderate cutting job do annoys me.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 09:48:51 PM
My annoyance is the blade edge on SAKs getting worn down/chipped. Or pliers on multitools getting loose and wobbly over time. Or saw teeth getting dull, they are a PAIN to sharpen.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 07:41:31 AM

It's me that has the annoying wear and tear issues, not the tools.

The question remains though...

Is it enough to send you in? :pok:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 04:29:39 PM

The question remains though...

Is it enough to send you in? :pok:

And ask for LM credits?  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!