Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Meters and Meters of SAK

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Meters and Meters of SAK
on: May 16, 2020, 09:47:15 PM
Swiss army knives come in many sizes, as do the people that use them.  We spend countless hours talking about different uses, configurations, and toolsets.  We also have our preferred sizes for EDC, and go-to SAKS for certain jobs.   Some of us like to collect SAKs, and some of us like to find the perfect combination of SAKs to keep things minimal.  Some of us like to do both.

How many meters of SAK do you have in total?
How many centimeters of SAK do you use on a regular basis?
How many millimeters of SAK do you carry?

I measured more than 1.5 meters of SAK in my possession, but probably less than 2m.  I am not a collector.  I do have some SAKs that I bought with the intention to "gift", as in to use briefly and carefully, and give away.  In addition to that, I have my users, my shelf queens, and a few that have been sitting idle.

Among those 58.8cm worth of SAK are real users.  That includes both a Swisschamp and a Champion, which are only slightly different in their uses. So depending on the day, I'd really have to put a little extra thought into which one I want to carry.  I haven't allowed myself to get the same knife in more than one color - but if I did, I would anticipate the same quandary. 

I consistently use 38.6cm of SAK.  Here's where numbers matter.  There are situations where I would use a 111mm , and the obvious question I'd have to ask myself is - do I need a saw.  A majority of those times I do, so it's just the one 111mm Trekker that I would count in this group.  I would also only count two 91mm models in this group - the two extremes at a 2 layer option and another at a 7 or 8 layer option.  In other words, when I'm deciding among several SAKs for a particular day, there are pretty consistently 38.6cm of SAK in that lineup, although the individual items in that lineup may change. 

For my EDC, it's almost always 93mm of SAK.  On rare occasion it's 91mm or rarer still, a 111mm.
If I'm going camping, it has long been 184mm of SAK, only recently extended to 204mm of the last year or so

What about you?  How many kilometers of SAK do you carry? :woohoo:

rsz_img_3202.jpg
* rsz_img_3202.jpg (Filesize: 46.11 KB)

nz Offline Storm

Re: Meters and Meters of SAK
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:28:02 PM
Much less than that I think! :D . 79.6cm all up in the collection . I regularly use 18.4cm being my Pioneer for work or my Tinker around home or my Spartan for formal occasions .
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Re: Meters and Meters of SAK
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:11:47 AM
A few hundred

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!