Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Compact 91mm cost vs. others

Offline skidoosh

Compact 91mm cost vs. others
on: May 27, 2020, 04:01:52 PM
I really like the compact and what it offers but why is it 20 bucks more than a tinker or others? What is the thinnest SAK in 91mm that will give me scissors?

us Offline Frailer

Re: Compact 91mm cost vs. others
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 04:15:00 PM
The Compact is indeed the thinnest 91mm SAK with scissors. As to its price...good question. The Climber—it’s closest equivalent—costs ~$13 less. The additional features—pen, micro screwdriver, and file surface on the parcel hook—shouldn’t add 40% to the knife’s cost, IMHO.

But it’s my favorite of the 91mm SAKs, so I just pay up and try not to concern myself too much about it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:26:15 PM by Frailer »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:54:12 PM
I agree it's a bit much..
Though, it does have a collection of somewhat unique features, some of which cost more - so it adds up.

the combo tool may cost more because it's production isn't scaled up - I doubt this is true, but what do I know...
plus scales with a pen
hook has a file on it, again, may have an increased production cost perhaps with the extra step. 

It's proven worth it for me - which is very subjective. 

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:19:19 PM
Comes down to the Plus tools premium.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30:01 PM
I agree it's a bit much..
Though, it does have a collection of somewhat unique features, some of which cost more - so it adds up.

the combo tool may cost more because it's production isn't scaled up - I doubt this is true, but what do I know...
plus scales with a pen
hook has a file on it, again, may have an increased production cost perhaps with the extra step. 

It's proven worth it for me - which is very subjective.

The production cost of the features that aren’t common in other SAKs is what I was thinking as well.  I think the Compact is currently the only 91mm with a combo tool and a file on the back of the hook.  Whether or not these cost justify the increased cost, I don’t know.

For me, because the compact is the thinnest 91mm SAK with scissors and my favorite of currently produced models, it is worth the additional cost.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%