Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Short Review of The Gerber Armbar Drive

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
A Short Review of The Gerber Armbar Drive
on: May 21, 2020, 06:22:15 PM
So this came in the mail today, I will be giving my thoughts and personal experiences on the Armbar.  :mail:
20200521_114238.jpg
* 20200521_114238.jpg (Filesize: 61.48 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:32:26 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Re: A Short Review of The Gerber Armbar Drive
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:27:57 PM
First things first, I tested the Bit driver. I know many have had bad experiences with this, but the detent on the back spring was actually good enough to push and turn at about 70% force with no problem. Any more than that the bit just slipped out of the screw, so that's more the bit's fault. There was one time where the screwdriver folded but that was because I accidentally pushed it closed. All in all the backspring wasn't that strong but, the relatively stiff pivot combined with putting lateral force on the tool while turning actually kept it secured while I was removing the screw.

So I'll give the screwdriver a B+ :tu:
20200521_114849.jpg
* 20200521_114849.jpg (Filesize: 22.57 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:36:48 PM
The knife blade didn't really open that smoothly but it's good enough I guess. The edge wasn't that great and it failed the paper cut test. :td: But after a few swipes on ceramic it was zipping thru paper in no time. :tu:

I'll give it a B-
20200521_114946.jpg
* 20200521_114946.jpg (Filesize: 45.83 KB)
20200521_115001.jpg
* 20200521_115001.jpg (Filesize: 28 KB)
20200521_115604.jpg
* 20200521_115604.jpg (Filesize: 194.99 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:40:57 PM
Okay, next let's talk about the scissors, the action wasn't very smooth, and they don't spring open very wide but you can use your thumb to manually open them wider for bigger cutting tasks. I have to say though, they do their job and cut well. They went through a bubble wrap lined package like nothing.

I'll give them an A-
20200521_114925.jpg
* 20200521_114925.jpg (Filesize: 177.18 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:46:41 PM
Now we'll discuss the Awl. It's like everything else on this list, not superb but it does it's job. :dunno:

C+
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 06:54:43 PM
Finally I'll talk a bit on the "hammer pommel" It's okay for small tasks, but you won't be busting commie's skulls or anything. I'd look at the Leatherman Signal if you're looking for a tool to drive tent pegs with. (Or one of those el cheapo Hammer Multitools :D)

It can drive a tack so I'll give it a passing grade of C+
20200521_115419.jpg
* 20200521_115419.jpg (Filesize: 25.44 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 06:59:12 PM
Okay, next let's talk about the scissors, the action wasn't very smooth, and they don't spring open very wide but you can use your thumb to manually open them wider for bigger cutting tasks. I have to say though, they do their job and cut well. They went through a bubble wrap lined package like nothing.

I'll give them an A-

Could you try them on paracord? Mine cut it the first time, but repeated cutting resulted in fraying cord and stuck scissors  :facepalm:

My experience with the blade was the same, the edge was not very good straight from the factory.

Be careful using the awl. It has enough bite for your fingers when it collapses. How is the backspring on your awl?

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 07:01:46 PM
Last but not least I'll show a size comparison next to the Vic Soldier and Leatherman Crunch.  8)

I'll talk about the pry bar/cap lifter when I do a more in depth review on my youtube channel.

Overall with just my first Impressions I'd give this tool a 3.7 stars out of 5. The 1.3 star being dropped just because of a couple fit and finish issues (which are usually common with Gerber products)
I think this little tool will definitely be making it's way into my tool rotation just because, although the features individually aren't awe inspiring. The overall toolset itself in this small package more than makes up for it. :tu:

Hope you guys enjoyed reading! My thumbs are tired  :2tu:
20200521_121703.jpg
* 20200521_121703.jpg (Filesize: 74.16 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:07:36 PM
Could you try them on paracord? Mine cut it the first time, but repeated cutting resulted in fraying cord and stuck scissors  :facepalm:

My experience with the blade was the same, the edge was not very good straight from the factory.

Be careful using the awl. It has enough bite for your fingers when it collapses. How is the backspring on your awl?
will do  :salute: The spring action on the awl was decent I drilled into a 2x4 without any issue. The edge geometry on it leaves something to be desired though. It's definitely not a scalpel/pick like the Alox Victorinoxes have.
Time will tell how this thing holds up. I think if it were priced more in the 25-30 dollar range the reception would be a lot better.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:10 PM
Thanks MattGyver for the review.  :salute:
I still think I’ll pass...but let us know how it stands up over time, or if it gets early retirement.
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 05:53:26 AM
Okay, I'm dropping score to 3.5 stars. The ergonomics on this thing are a nightmare. :ahhh Every way you hold this knife there are sharp corners biting your hand.  :twak: Didn't realize it until using it for more than 3 minutes at a time.
It's still a decent tool but they really to work some of these bugs out. And smooth the design out a little.  :think:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 05:59:11 AM
As a memo to lurkers, I might add that I am usually a very merciful reviewer, because I WANT them to be good. So when I say 3.5 stars someone else (SirVicAlot) ::) is probably gonna give it 2 star score.  I think it's good, but could be better.  And there are better options for $40 like the Victorinox Explorer which is roughly the same size and offers an inline Philips a mag glass and better scissors.

More than likely if you need a tool this size, a bit driver is not going to be a must have. Because the mindset is you're carrying this tool for lighter weight anyway, so you're probably not carrying bits on your person as well. So imo the explorer would make a decent alternative to this thing.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 06:05:19 AM
I would not give it a 2, but a 3.5 sounds more realistic  :pok: :D

This tool has lots of potential, but it fell short in the execution. It needs more work and polishing to be awesome. And as you said, for the same cost there are better tools out there  :cheers:

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 06:09:46 AM

I would not give it a 2, but a 3.5 sounds more realistic  :pok: :D

This tool has lots of potential, but it fell short in the execution. It needs more work and polishing to be awesome. And as you said, for the same cost there are better tools out there  :cheers:
  :twak: my bad :rofl: you heard it hear folks 3.5 stars confirmed by SirVicaLot   :tu:  :iagree:
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 06:11:08 AM
 :rofl: I didn’t confirm anything, I only said it is more realistic  :P

us Offline Captain Hook

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 06:16:11 AM
:rofl: I didn’t confirm anything, I only said it is more realistic  :P
2!? 3.5 stars?!?? wwwhat am I saying, I failed decimals in middle school math any way! And I'm no astronaut :bnghd: Make up your mind VicaLot!! :ahhh
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 06:21:47 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99