Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Alox
on: May 27, 2020, 12:43:55 AM
I have an inline Philips on all my SAKs. It's what I like. I'm thinking about buying alox, either a pioneer or farmer x. I see none have the Philips. I'd assume the can opener is used but I've never used as such. How useful is it? Torque? What's the downside to alox?

us Offline Frailer

Re: Alox
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:54:40 AM
IMHO the can opener works fairly well as a #2 Phillips driver. I wouldn’t put a *lot* of torque on it, but the same holds true of an in-line Phillips driver.

Edited to add: I just realized I didn’t answer your second question. The downsides to Alox knives are that they are heavier (although this is balanced by the fact they’re thinner, with sturdier tools and greater robustness), and they lack backside tools and tweezers/toothpick.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:02:01 AM by Frailer »

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:15 AM
The can opener isn't useful for deep-set screws, if that's the kind of thing you regularly encounter.

I've never managed to over-torque a can opener driver, but I'm sure it's possible.

As for the drawbacks of alox, you can't easily swap out beat up scales like you can with nylon or cellidor. Then again, alox really takes a beating.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 01:35:56 AM
there is one potential drawback to Alox - the backsprings are stiffer than their 91mm counterparts. 

Most of the time it's a good thing, to prevent accidental closure.  Sometimes when you want to do something quickly, its a bit of a pain - I sometimes lose my grip on a tool and it snaps shut, so take another two seconds to open it. 

I don't hear anyone else complaining about it, so maybe it's just me. And normally I don't mind it... but when I go back to a 91mm after a while....  its like butter...

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 02:00:15 AM
there is one potential drawback to Alox - the backsprings are stiffer than their 91mm counterparts. 

Most of the time it's a good thing, to prevent accidental closure.  Sometimes when you want to do something quickly, its a bit of a pain - I sometimes lose my grip on a tool and it snaps shut, so take another two seconds to open it. 

I don't hear anyone else complaining about it, so maybe it's just me. And normally I don't mind it... but when I go back to a 91mm after a while....  its like butter...

I modded a Pioneer X for work by removing the blade and adding the Philips from a Spartan Lite.

The springs are the biggest issue as the Philips driver is now on a doubled-up spring which means its a bit of a nail breaker to open.

One of these days I'll open it up and tweak the springs but I mainly use it for the scissors these days so it's not a huge priority as I can use my pen to pry up the Philips if I really need it.

-Wes.
PxMod1resize.jpg
* PxMod1resize.jpg (Filesize: 160.48 KB)
PXMod2resize.jpg
* PXMod2resize.jpg (Filesize: 51.28 KB)
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 02:06:47 AM
As for the drawbacks of alox, you can't easily swap out beat up scales like you can with nylon or cellidor. Then again, alox really takes a beating.

I dunno, I think my grandfather's OC Pioneer is a beaut in its worn down condition.

-Wes.
OCPresize.jpg
* OCPresize.jpg (Filesize: 170.75 KB)
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:09:58 AM
I dunno, I think my grandfather's OC Pioneer is a beaut in its worn down condition.

-Wes.
Yes. Because alox can really take a beating.

Edit: that is lovely, by the way.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 05:46:31 AM
The end of the can opener is a superb flat Phillips.  The only real advantage of the inline Philips, as Jothra points out, is improved ability to handle recessed screws.

I've applied significant torque to the can opener/flat Philips on stuck/rusted screws with no issues.  Particularly with the beefier 93mm version, I don't believe you will need to worry about over-torquing it in anything resembling normal use.

The downsides to alox are no back tools, no scale tools, and generally limited tool and configuration options vs. the 91mm line.  The advantages of alox are thicker, sturdier tools and much higher resistance to physical, chemical, and thermal damage.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 09:53:30 AM
Besides missing the inline phillips that is on 91mm, I also really miss the small blade of 91mm.  For my use, I actually use the small blade on 91mm most majority of the time, and the larger blade is occasionally used on food.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:13 AM
The tools are thicker than cellidor SAKs?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 11:15:03 AM
Wessaen, that's an awesome bladeless SAK!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 01:20:07 PM
The openers and large blade is beefier than the 91mm cousin.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 01:59:15 PM
From left to right: Alox, 91mm, 84mm...  :whistle:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 02:19:37 PM
Orange 91mm :dd:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 04:32:12 PM

yes

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 04:45:00 PM
Besides missing the inline phillips that is on 91mm, I also really miss the small blade of 91mm.  For my use, I actually use the small blade on 91mm most majority of the time, and the larger blade is occasionally used on food.

This changes how the tool interacts with my unconscious activity on a day to day basis - in other words, how it interacts with me.  Sort of the way that a smartphone interacts with me the way a flip phone never did.  I've gotten used to it over the years, but noticed the difference in the SAK Stack challenge.  I'm more likely to use the SAK for simple things when I have the small blade.. which is fun.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 05:18:59 AM
With a 91mm, I tend to use the large blade for general use, and keep the small blade reserved for tasks that require an extra sharp edge.  With a 93mm, I tend to use the inline awl as a beater blade (opening packages, cutting zip ties, etc.), and save the edge on the main blade for tasks that really require it.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 03:31:40 AM
Still haven't made a decision

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 04:50:31 AM
My Farmer X came today.  If you're on the fence regarding the Farmer X vs. the Pioneer, the Farmer X provides significant added capabilities in a package that is still very pocketable.

us Offline Ike582

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 07:00:53 AM
My Farmer X came today.  If you're on the fence regarding the Farmer X vs. the Pioneer, the Farmer X provides significant added capabilities in a package that is still very pocketable.

How does the weight difference feel in hand and pocket?  Is the difference readily discernible or not really?
Ike

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 10:35:40 AM
How does the weight difference feel in hand and pocket?  Is the difference readily discernible or not really?

It's a noticeable difference, both in hand and in pocket.  The Pioneer is listed at 2.5 oz, and the Farmer X at 3.8 oz, so half again as heavy.

That said, I've carried and used quite a few different knives in my life thus far, everything from a Vic Classic weighing less than an ounce to large folders and fixed blades weighing 8 - 10+ oz.  My experience is that, within a reasonable weight range and assuming that carrying isn't causing any actual discomfort, it only takes a couple of weeks to get used to a change in weight.  Getting used to changes in thickness in hand and overall feel in hand (independent of weight) takes somewhat longer.

In my previous post, I didn't intend to imply that there wasn't a noticeable difference; only that (IMO):
  • The additional weight and thickness of the Farmer X over the Pioneer is a worthwhile trade-off in order to gain the scissors and saw.
  • Even the heavier, thicker Farmer X is still easily carried in a pocket.

:cheers:

us Offline Ike582

Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 09:12:20 AM
It's a noticeable difference, both in hand and in pocket.  The Pioneer is listed at 2.5 oz, and the Farmer X at 3.8 oz, so half again as heavy.

That said, I've carried and used quite a few different knives in my life thus far, everything from a Vic Classic weighing less than an ounce to large folders and fixed blades weighing 8 - 10+ oz.  My experience is that, within a reasonable weight range and assuming that carrying isn't causing any actual discomfort, it only takes a couple of weeks to get used to a change in weight.  Getting used to changes in thickness in hand and overall feel in hand (independent of weight) takes somewhat longer.

In my previous post, I didn't intend to imply that there wasn't a noticeable difference; only that (IMO):
  • The additional weight and thickness of the Farmer X over the Pioneer is a worthwhile trade-off in order to gain the scissors and saw.
  • Even the heavier, thicker Farmer X is still easily carried in a pocket.

:cheers:

I received mine today, and totally agree with your comments.  You can feel the difference, but if you have no issues carrying the Pioneer X, you won't with the Farmer X either.
Ike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD