Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Farmer X Double Secret Adventure Society 4972

Full Member Posts: 167
Re: The Farmer X Double Secret Adventure Society
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2020, 08:23:15 PM »
Put the Farmer X to work today assisting with the processing of green beans grown in my garden.

Cheers!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 27,302 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2020, 02:49:26 AM »
I have the farmer and the PioneerX, but I also have my custom which is kinda like the farmerX, more like a farmerX plus, cause it has the Philips yet the awl is replaces with a nail file, but I so want to get the farmerX I just have to get the Mrs to get it,, :whistle:
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room but tripped on a Can and bowed for the Porcelain God!
No Life Club Posts: 1,058
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
I have the farmer and the PioneerX, but I also have my custom which is kinda like the farmerX, more like a farmerX plus, cause it has the Philips yet the awl is replaces with a nail file, but I so want to get the farmerX I just have to get the Mrs to get it,, :whistle:
JR

The first pic hurt's my heart...  :-\

No offence, but it always upsets me when ever i see pocket clips attached to SAK's....  :ahhh 
For  me it ruins the look and feel, but that's just me of course... :dwts:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 27,302 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2020, 05:16:57 PM »

No offence, but it always upsets me when ever i see pocket clips attached to SAK's....  :ahhh 
Sorry, I’ve mostly always carried a clip knife, and those are only double face taped, not drilled and tapped like others! So no damage!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room but tripped on a Can and bowed for the Porcelain God!
Newbie Posts: 19
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2020, 10:59:24 PM »

Like that option on Amazon that's like $25 for one stupid clip.  I would love a deep pocket clip (I think) but not for $25.  Especially because I don't even know if I'd like it long enough to keep it on for more than the trial period. 
Full Member Posts: 193

Tet ca

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2020, 11:02:08 PM »
I know what you mean, the same happened to me. I am now a firm believer in Alox. Haven’t even picked up a cellidor in a while   :facepalm:

Welcome to the Alox universe  :cheers:

I’m in exactly the same boat, haven’t gone to the cellidor since i found alox. That said I did make an exception for a few specialty tools I picked up today with the Farmer X that finally arrived! 

Full Member Posts: 193

Tet ca

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2020, 11:03:51 PM »
JR

:rofl:

I love how they’re holding hands, like they’re just about to go and merge their tools!
Hero Member Posts: 640 Queen's Venturer
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2020, 05:41:12 AM »
My Farmer X arrived May 26th, and nothing else has made it back into my pocket yet. Though I should admit I haven't needed to saw anything so far.

I have, however, used the saw as a fing-longer a few times. You know — like a monkey poking a termite nest with a stick.
20.17 kB | 400x300
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,260 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »
Sorry, I’ve mostly always carried a clip knife, and those are only double face taped, not drilled and tapped like others! So no damage!
JR

Hey, to each its own. That's why we have mod threads around here. Everyone has different preferences.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,009
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
A little late to the party, got this today. First post-lockdown shipment from our local agent.  :tu:
Full Member Posts: 176
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
Could someone post a picture  of the farmer x and a huntsman or fieldmaster please?
No Life Club Posts: 1,353
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »
Max,

Congratulations!  I have been using the heck out of my Farmer X lately, but the sad thing is that it has caused me to neglect my beloved Pioneers.  I picked one up the other day and couldn't believe how light and svelte it was after getting used to the chunk o' metal that the Farmer X is. 

Myron
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
Thanks Myron!

I’ve been carrrying a SC the last couple weeks, so going to the FX will also be a revelation.  :cheers:
Full Member Posts: 176
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2020, 09:27:54 PM »
Thank you Max, the farmer x looks to be pretty compact for the tool load.
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:35 AM »

Why does Snoopy have some kind of plastic key ring attachment sticking out of his head? Time for your lobotomy, beagle!

Good work, Farmer X! The saw made short work of this one.

Ready to face the day!
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2020, 04:30:59 AM »
Also, this arrived today:

Plan B was to buy a silver one and eventually add a blue one. There was no Plan A.
No Life Club Posts: 1,737
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2020, 05:28:58 AM »
My Farmer X arrived May 26th, and nothing else has made it back into my pocket yet. Though I should admit I haven't needed to saw anything so far.

I have, however, used the saw as a fing-longer a few times. You know — like a monkey poking a termite nest with a stick.
Awesome reference Jothra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2020, 05:30:56 AM »
Could someone post a picture  of the farmer x and a huntsman or fieldmaster please?
Ask and thou shalt receive around here!

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2020, 06:56:40 AM »
I'm a fan!
Been watching the futurama myself recently! Forgot how great it is!

No Life Club Posts: 4,653
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2020, 05:38:18 AM »
Also, this arrived today:

(Image removed from quote.)

Plan B was to buy a silver one and eventually add a blue one. There was no Plan A.

:rofl: Damn enablers everywhere  :D
Hero Member Posts: 816
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
:rofl: Damn enablers everywhere  :D
One of us....

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
Make no mistake — these are both users. I only have two shelf queens, and one of them is a $7 piece of trash garbage junk.
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2020, 02:16:18 AM »
I rearranged my living room in an attempt to maximize space. It worked, due in part to moving my computer desk, and fitting my printer on the under-desk shelf.

The problem: the off-balance weight of the printer was putting a lot of stress on the removable shelf's attachment points.

The Solution: since I have a broken hat rack I'm throwing out, it's time to give my desk its own pirate pegleg!

Marked out for cutting!

Sawing with saw!

Never mind the weird angle of the photo. Everything's nice and square down there now.

I know I have two proper saws in my possession, but I wanted to play with my Farmer X, consarn it!
Hero Member Posts: 816
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »
 :like: :cheers:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
No Life Club Posts: 2,935
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »
Ordered mine today from Heidi-Shop
My only gripe is it’s missing the Philips and Mag layer  :D

It would be novel if Vic released the Swiss Champ in Alox

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.
No Life Club Posts: 1,322
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »
The Farmer X is basically the Swiss Army Knife I've been waiting for since long before I joined MTo. I'm not going to review it, because its every implement has been discussed to death both here and abroad, from tame unboxings all the way to insane torture tests. Instead, I'm going to explain why I've gravitated to this tool set for so long.

(Image removed from quote.)
  • Alox is tough, tough, tough. While I adore my blue Px, I like that silver doesn't show nearly as much wear.
  • I've spent more time prying than almost anything. It's also good for screws and bottles. The 93mm is slightly larger than the 91mm.
  • Most food cans where I live do not have pull tabs, and I'm surprised at how often I end up in places without a crank opener. Also, I prefer this screwdriver tip to the inline Phillips because this one will work with #2 Robertson screws in a pinch. Those are the square ones, and they are ubiquitous here. If I need a dedicated Phillips, it's time for me to go full screwdriver anyway.
  • There's not much to say about the Victorinox blade that hasn't been said before.
  • I ream many things. The 93mm awl is also a decent pokey (for poking things.)
  • The saw is the tool I use least these days, which is one reason I've regularly switched between the Huntsman and the Pioneer X. When I'm hiking and camping, however, I really like having a proven saw on my person in case I get separated from larger dedicated tools. This has happened.
  • Halfway through a week-long mountaineering expedition, a paramedic performed a friend's much-needed emergency toenail surgery with the scissors on another friend's Climber. That's when I added scissors to my required lineup. More lastingly, I don't bite my nails anymore, and tiny origami dinosaurs are easier than they used to be.
  • The keyring isn't a tool as such. When you grow up in a forestry town, however, you soon learn that if you can't attach something to your body, you might lose it next time you fall headlong down a slope covered in devil's club (we found that knife a few weeks later, sprinkled with bite marks).

Just because it's nice outside and I've broken out the camera anyway, here are thickness comparisons with a Pioneer X and a Huntsman. I'll let you figure out which is which.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

I'm the first one here, so I get to pick the name for the owners' club. Ha!

Isn't Farmer X too thick and heavy for mountaineering purposes?  No the same thing but I use a titanium spork and a very simple knife when I go mountaineering.  :think:

« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
Isn't Farmer X too thick and heavy for mountaineering purposes?  No the same thing but I use a titanium spork and a very simple knife when I go mountaineering.  :think:

I'm not sure what would make it too heavy for mountaineering. Maybe if I tied it to a rock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $272.00
PayPal Fees: $14.75
Net Balance: $257.25
Below Goal: $42.75
Site Currency: USD
86%