Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 Day Off-Brand Challenge

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: 30 Day Off-Brand Challenge
Reply #60 on: June 09, 2020, 10:20:23 PM
Sounds plausible but, to think that I'll have to send in the ENTIRE tool back just to have the cutters replace when I could've done it ... no thanks; BIG turn off!  :facepalm:

And to think they had them replaceable, as ComboTool pointed out... :facepalm: :facepalm:

:iagree: They could have done what Gerber does: Put subpar cutters on there, then sell replacements that are almost the same price as a new tool  :facepalm:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: June 10, 2020, 03:00:19 AM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #64 on: June 10, 2020, 10:26:34 AM
 :like:
One third done. As I said, I had wanted to do this for a long time. After hours of going through Jothra's off-brand escapades, I decided to give the Roxon Storm a chance to stretch its legs. And it did not disappoint.

All tools work on this. And some work far better than you would expect from a little-known off-brand multi-tool. The scissors are undoubtedly the star of the show. Maybe not for fingernails, but for everything else, they're superior to most multi-tool scissors. It is a little annoying to deploy one handle and then the scissor handle, and then close the handle, but it is no more of a hassle than the Wave's scissors. And boy, do they work.
The Phillips is excellent, and takes the square hole bit adapter. It also locks. You can argue it is a little short, compared to the Rebar Phillips. But considering how poorly Phillips drivers can be on off-brand tools, it's absolutely fine.
Glass breaker, blade, openers, cord cutter, awl, everything is just fine. And there are so many implements on this, too. Urban, bushcraft, garage, pick-nick, rescue, this has lots of bases covered, if you want everything on a single tool.

Also, it is an upgrade of the old Storm. Check the second post for all the updates. It is even better now.

Plus, looks great, and the quality is far better than many big four brand tools, and miles ahead of typical off-brand tools.
And it is their own design, rather than a copy, clone, homage, or just them putting their name on a random tool that comes under ten other brands.

Sure, it does not fit a Maxpedition Micro with the same elegance as a Rebar. It is big, wide, heavy, and more dangerous if you drop it on something, the ergonomics are not amazing, the blade steel is just ok.

But it works. I like it a lot, and have had no trouble so far. Roxon listened to feedback and fixed the can opener, the file, the sheath, the saw, even upgraded the blade and scissor steel. Sure, we call it off-brand, but damnit, they are trying. :salute:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: June 10, 2020, 10:37:44 AM
:like:
One third done. As I said, I had wanted to do this for a long time. After hours of going through Jothra's off-brand escapades, I decided to give the Roxon Storm a chance to stretch its legs. And it did not disappoint.

All tools work on this. And some work far better than you would expect from a little-known off-brand multi-tool. The scissors are undoubtedly the star of the show. Maybe not for fingernails, but for everything else, they're superior to most multi-tool scissors. It is a little annoying to deploy one handle and then the scissor handle, and then close the handle, but it is no more of a hassle than the Wave's scissors. And boy, do they work.
The Phillips is excellent, and takes the square hole bit adapter. It also locks. You can argue it is a little short, compared to the Rebar Phillips. But considering how poorly Phillips drivers can be on off-brand tools, it's absolutely fine.
Glass breaker, blade, openers, cord cutter, awl, everything is just fine. And there are so many implements on this, too. Urban, bushcraft, garage, pick-nick, rescue, this has lots of bases covered, if you want everything on a single tool.

Also, it is an upgrade of the old Storm. Check the second post for all the updates. It is even better now.

Plus, looks great, and the quality is far better than many big four brand tools, and miles ahead of typical off-brand tools.
And it is their own design, rather than a copy, clone, homage, or just them putting their name on a random tool that comes under ten other brands.

Sure, it does not fit a Maxpedition Micro with the same elegance as a Rebar. It is big, wide, heavy, and more dangerous if you drop it on something, the ergonomics are not amazing, the blade steel is just ok.

But it works. I like it a lot, and have had no trouble so far. Roxon listened to feedback and fixed the can opener, the file, the sheath, the saw, even upgraded the blade and scissor steel. Sure, we call it off-brand, but damnit, they are trying. :salute:

This has been a great read through and a compelling case for this offbrand superstar! It's really making me consider picking one of these guys up (their new tool with the replaceable blades seems awesome too, but with no price or eta of availability  :twak:). I hope you'll review the Nextool mini flagship next (i think I saw you got one in), I've been interested in that little design since  I saw it drop on Heinnie, but £32 was a little steep for a punt on an unknown.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #67 on: June 10, 2020, 10:49:31 AM
I've been waiting for their new tool for a while. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #68 on: June 10, 2020, 10:52:19 AM
I hope you'll review the Nextool mini flagship next (i think I saw you got one in), I've been interested in that little design since  I saw it drop on Heinnie, but £32 was a little steep for a punt on an unknown.

I'll spare you the wait and review it right now! :like:

NexTool Mini Flagship Multi-tool Review!!!

It did not even survive one week of no use. The little back-spring for the scissors handle just popped off as I was opening the handle. :facepalm:
Do not recommend. There's better ways to waste $30. :salute:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: June 10, 2020, 11:04:37 AM
I'll spare you the wait and review it right now! :like:

NexTool Mini Flagship Multi-tool Review!!!

It did not even survive one week of no use. The little back-spring for the scissors handle just popped off as I was opening the handle. :facepalm:
Do not recommend. There's better ways to waste $30. :salute:
(Image removed from quote.)

Oh dear! A shame since I liked the design but better to know before hand then hope and experience it, thank you for your service on the off brand front lines  :salute:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #70 on: June 10, 2020, 04:06:05 PM
I guess I took one for the team with that one. :facepalm:
The design is indeed really nice. Execution was a letdown, to say the least. :rant:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #71 on: June 10, 2020, 06:29:50 PM
Obviously broken is broken, but do the scissors still sort of work without the spring, or does the handle flop around like a trout now?

[Edit: I know I'm asking about the wrong Roxon (the "Wrongxon," if you will), but now I'm all curious.]

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #72 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:16 PM
They kind of work, if you press at the handle pivot to operate them. Tiny leverage compared to what you'd have if the handle had not broken. I think I should clarify that NexTool and Roxon are different brands. :think:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #73 on: June 10, 2020, 06:44:40 PM
They kind of work, if you press at the handle pivot to operate them. Tiny leverage compared to what you'd have if the handle had not broken.
Oh no! Floppy trout handle it is!

I think I should clarify that NexTool and Roxon are different brands. :think:
So they are. Critical Jothra Research Fail!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #75 on: June 11, 2020, 06:23:43 PM
Nice to see you taking the lead on this one.

It wasn't as funny when I wrote "taking the graphite on this one," and a joke this terrible needs every advantage it can get.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #78 on: June 12, 2020, 02:35:32 PM
Food can? More like food can't!

(I'm allowed to use that one once per challenge thread.)

Anyway, I like that you technically misused the can opener, but still in the name of opening a can. It beats hitting the can with a rock.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #79 on: June 12, 2020, 03:02:07 PM
Thankfully, it's a can opener, not a can't opener. I covered quite a few in my Can Opener Comparison thread.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #81 on: June 12, 2020, 05:39:11 PM
or a glass breaker. :ahhh
That is now an image that is in my head, along with a caveman biting the can, shouting at the can, and then completely obliterating the can with a big rock.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #82 on: June 13, 2020, 11:54:46 AM
Day 13

I made a lid for my beard trimmer case. It came with a terrible base that holds the accessories by friction, but the trimmer itself just sits on it. Might as well keep it in a dinner plate. So I keep it in a stationary box. Cello tape for the hinge and latch. And with the lid, it is quite convenient.

I also modified an umbrella. The lanyard just passed through a hole and it looked terrible, and the knot was annoying.
I stuffed the ends in a hole and used a woodscrew to hold it in place. No visible knot, just a nice clean lanyard.
The screw is not perfectly flush, but I know I'll overdo it with the reamer and remove too much material and make it look bad, so I reamed it a little and left it. It's flush enough.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:45:23 PM by ReamerPunch »

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #83 on: June 13, 2020, 02:01:29 PM
Great uses! Those scissors get plenty of use  :tu:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #84 on: June 13, 2020, 04:22:27 PM
The screw is not perfectly flush, but I know I'll overdo it with the reamer and remove too much material and make it look bad, so I reamed it a little and left it. It's flush enough.
I know what you mean. It looks intentional now anyway, and trying to countersink it might, ironically, make it look less careful and methodical.

Out of curiosity, how sharp is the edge of the reamer? It was at least good enough to live through eviscerating a coconut. In pictures, it looks a lot like a shorter version of the reamer on a Rebar, only with a sewing eye added in.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #85 on: June 14, 2020, 12:28:55 PM
Out of curiosity, how sharp is the edge of the reamer? It was at least good enough to live through eviscerating a coconut. In pictures, it looks a lot like a shorter version of the reamer on a Rebar, only with a sewing eye added in.

The reamer went through a coconut eye, they are much softer compared to the shell.
The Roxon reamer is very close to the Rebar one. Same angle bevel. The Rebar is better since it also has a taper. The Roxon is also quite shorter, and it gets broad after the sewing eye. It is very decent, and infinitely more useful than the implement it replaced. The original Storm had a pseudo nail-puller pry thingy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:33:58 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #87 on: June 14, 2020, 08:08:04 PM
I like the look of the reamer, and it certainly appears to be an upgrade over the kind-of-a-nail-puller tool.

I'm not usually into those cord-cutting hooks, but they are sometimes the handiest things. I think I installed one in my old Leathman Kick. I'll have to check when I get home.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #88 on: June 15, 2020, 07:40:34 AM
Great uses! Those scissors get plenty of use  :tu:

They'd better! They're amazing! :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #89 on: June 15, 2020, 07:42:12 AM
I like the look of the reamer, and it certainly appears to be an upgrade over the kind-of-a-nail-puller tool.

I'm not usually into those cord-cutting hooks, but they are sometimes the handiest things. I think I installed one in my old Leathman Kick. I'll have to check when I get home.

You installed it? What did you harvest it from? :popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD