Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm really liking SOG lately. 229

No Life Club Posts: 1,310
I'm really liking SOG lately.
« on: June 01, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
I have recently acquired both a PowerAccess and a PowerPlay, and have been using both regularly. I've been EDCing the PowerAccess for a while now, and absolutely loving it. The PowerPlay was purchased on a whim, because I liked the PowerAccess so much.  I've been using the PowerPlay in the garage quite a bit, and it's really a great tool as well. It has shortcomings (poorly formed phillips driver cams out easily and file that doesn't file), but overall it's a great tool. The blades are easily accessed and super sharp, it's comfortable and robust, and the compound leverage is nice. Both of these tools are around $30 on eBay right now, brand new with a ton of accessories.

The phillips driver thing isn't a huge big deal, it's just not as well-formed as the one on the PowerAccess. It's still usable, it just does tend to chew up a screw a bit more.

Charles.
New User Posts: 1
Re: I'm really liking SOG lately.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
I agree the poweraccess is superior. I would like the powerplay if the locks weren't ridiculously hard to disengage, it hurts my fingers and I play guitar! Does anyone else have a problem with this?
No Life Club Posts: 2,152
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »
I agree the poweraccess is superior. I would like the powerplay if the locks weren't ridiculously hard to disengage, it hurts my fingers and I play guitar! Does anyone else have a problem with this?

it is really the flaw in the design of the powerplay that is causing the difficulty in disengaging the lock. To disengage the lock, the lock tab have to be lifted but the opposite handle is in the way. Usually our palm be gripping the tool when doing this action so it is just countering itself. Power access doesn't have this issue as there is a gap to allow the lock to be lifted without any obstruction from the opposite handle.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,243

Nix us

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:03:21 AM »
I'm glad you guys are happy. My last SOG's were well below my acceptable quality standards. I've given up on SOG now.

I have a mid-80's Paratool that shows what SOG used to be capable of.

(yes, another 'oh the good old days' comment, sorry.)

Illegitimi non carborundum
No Life Club Posts: 1,310
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:43:32 AM »
I mean, the file in the powerplay sucks, but otherwise it’s a great tool. But the PowerAccess is surprisingly much better. The file is great, the pliers are built beefier, and the bit holder is more robust and slips FAR less than the powerplay, needing very little force to hold it closed and grip the bit tightly, comparatively.

I’ve got a switchplier on the way next.

The SOG I’ve not been too thrilled about is the sync II. It’s a great tool, but the fact the big drivers don’t lock but the scissors and micro drivers do is really offputting. Also the traveler design fixed the constantly unbuckling buckle, but they didn’t incorporate that change into the regular version.

So it turns out the Sync I ends up being a better tool, because none of the tools lock yet the backsprings are far stronger.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $60.00
PayPal Fees: $3.14
Net Balance: $56.86
Below Goal: $243.14
Site Currency: USD