Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modded gerber fit pocket knife

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Modded gerber fit pocket knife
on: June 02, 2020, 02:18:04 AM
I got a gerber fit today, and I fell in love with it. Locking bit driver, nice long blade, big scissors, micro drivers, tweezers, and a really useful flashlight. But it was missing one thing - a pocket clip. So, I rummaged through my parts bin and found a nice candidate. I drilled some holes and broke out the dremel and flat files, then scrounged in my misc screw assortment. And this is what I ended up with!

Charles.

• No Life Club
Re: Modded gerber fit pocket knife
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 02:21:17 AM
The last pic shows the original clip. I think it was for a schrade knife originally. I had one silver and one black.

A nite ize clip also fits nicely on this tool, but I wanted something a little more custom and permanent. I figured if I failed, I could always return it to stock and attach the adhesive clip. Fortunately this worked out great!

I’m thinking about a thumb stud for the knife blade as the next mod.

Charles.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:21:24 PM
Now THAT'S perfect! A lot of function in a small package, now easily carried.

If you don't mind me asking, why the silver one over the BO? Would have looked so good...

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 03:30:12 PM
Cutting, grinding, and filing would have left a silver edge on the clip. I also believe it is titanium coated - basically just painted, and I like how regular stainless wears in comparison.  I love me some black oxide, but if the clip is not BO, I'd hate how it wears. Plus silver just looked right to me.

Charles.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 07:23:52 PM
I have one Fit in blue and really like the tool. The light helps a lot

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 08:19:28 PM
The only thing I want to change is to get some better screws to hold it on. I used what I had, which isn't the prettiest. The black screw is the screw that was originally in the location of the new silver screw. I'm thinking a black allen head would be ideal, and then I'll call it done for real.

Charles.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 10:13:01 PM
You might find this an interesting read...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47903.0.html
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
I did. I still like my FIT, and I'm going to use it more before making a decision.

one thing of note... you can always take the "gerber" scale off and tighten the pivot screw if it loosens up on you. Also as the locks wear in, the other tools should stay up in there again. Just like with an mp600, if the lock only partially engages, then the rest of the tools can lift up a bit. Once the lock mechanism and tools wear together, this goes away. It takes a while though. A file can speed it up. With my fit I notice that the bit driver and the blade only engage the lock halfway. If it engaged at all the way, none of the other tools could come out no matter how loose the pivot is.

Charles.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:44 AM
Cutting, grinding, and filing would have left a silver edge on the clip. I also believe it is titanium coated - basically just painted, and I like how regular stainless wears in comparison.  I love me some black oxide, but if the clip is not BO, I'd hate how it wears. Plus silver just looked right to me.

Charles.

Fair enough; thanks for the info. ! :tu: :cheers:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 11:33:07 AM
Cool mod! I have three Fits, one blue and two orange ones and love them. It is the only multitool with a flashlight, that I can think of,  that does not use button cells. That is what was appealing about it when I bought my first one years ago.  I hate those button cells and a AAA can be purchased anywhere cheap, plus I can use NIMH rechargeables. The only problem I have had with them is the rubber cover on the flashlight switch. They wear out. One came off, and another is kind of smushed into the opening of the one I use now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%