Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bead blasted or sanded translucent scales?

Offline jlomein

Bead blasted or sanded translucent scales?
on: June 04, 2020, 11:41:38 AM
Curious if anyone has put such a finish on their translucent scales?  Does it hide scratches better? Gives it a classier look?

us Offline Kraken

Re: Bead blasted or sanded translucent scales?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:56:02 PM
Curious if anyone has put such a finish on their translucent scales?  Does it hide scratches better? Gives it a classier look?

Inadvertently, yes, from pocket carrying my Explorer with blue translucent scales, along with my work keys. In a way, it does hide the scratches because they all blend together and it's difficult to tell one from another. However this method does not work on gouges to the scales. Hope this helps!
Semper Fortis

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:53:26 PM
I’ve always thought they were pretty easy to polish and can’t say that I’d choose to finish one to maintain the dull appearance.  But once scratched and dull appearing from use, they do tend to hide new scratches and damage.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 02:13:32 AM
If you are really careful in your application of it, 70% and higher rubbing alcohol on a cloth can mask many of these problems. I've learned not to touch the scales while they are still wet or your fingerprint will remain in the scales (unless you repeat the process).  I've always done it with a fast back and forth polishing action, and quickly followed up with a soft dry cloth as it dried.  It will look hazy at first, and sometimes it even helps to ride in your pocket for a few days afterward as the cotton of your pocket continues the polishing process as you walk around.  It's not a fool proof method if a scratch is deep enough, but it has made some of mine look brand new. 
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%