Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

spare pliers

Sean · 15 · 2176

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
spare pliers
on: January 05, 2009, 08:38:19 PM
While my Surge is off for repairs I think I might pick up a Sog Powerlock.  We have a store in downtown Vancouver that I wasn't aware of until recently and they seem to have a pretty good selection of cutlery and Sog Pliers.

http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/

I would imagine the Powerlock with the gear covers would give added stability to the plier head itself
acting as a reinforcement?
Not sure if I will go stainless or the black oxide.  Any suggestions or is it largely a matter of preference?

cheers,
Sean

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: spare pliers
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:02:33 PM
I would say it's a matter of preference.. I personally don't like to use BO tools.. They scratch easily, and the scratch is really noticeable.. But, you get better rust resistance with BO tools. So, it comes down to what YOU want..
B

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:10:29 PM

Thanks for that.  I would have thought the stainless might not be so bad for rust?  While I am outdoors quite a bit I usually wipe down my tools after with a cloth so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Do like the looks of the black oxide quite a bit so will see what they have available.

Sean

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42:32 PM
Cool, and the beauty of SOG tools is that you can modify the implements for your needs...
B

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:57:55 PM
that is a pretty nice feature.  I would assume that if one wanted to swap say the scissors out for a serrated blade on the powerlock it would be a straight swap if when ordering you told them which model you had?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:35 PM
the powerlock, no matter the model, can swap tools even with the paladin series (PT-540,etc...) you just choose the implement and if you want it polish  finish or BO and if im not wrong they include the manual to install
A

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:28:53 PM
great thats just what I needed to know.  There are a couple of dealers here in my hometown that have the stainless PL so going to have a look wednesday.  thanks guys.

sean

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:01 AM
You're a lucky guy Sean,  wish I lived close to downtown Vancouver,  Warrior and Wonders has a lot of cool blades. I'd be there all the time, if you're ever in there please say hi to Jay from Norman.
I just received an order from them a few days ago,  tremendous service at very good prices.
As for the powerlock, the gear covers do make quite a difference when using the screwdrivers.  I've handled tools with and without the covers and the covers are worth it.   :tu:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:31:52 AM
Yeah, that place is awesome.  I just ordered a Byrd Raven from them and received it within TWO days - from Vancouver to Toronto.  :o  I'm definitely going to order from them again!
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:29:53 AM
I personally like BO tools compared to stainless, but as you said it really up to personal preference unless you're a soldier who would actually benefit from having a tool that doesn't reflect light.  But even in my "regular life", it's nice to have a tool that doesn't attract attention.

The Powerlock is a great tool...that's like the 100th time I've typed that over the past few years :D :multi:
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 04:23:37 PM
Yeah, that place is awesome.  I just ordered a Byrd Raven from them and received it within TWO days - from Vancouver to Toronto.  :o  I'm definitely going to order from them again!

You mean you are in Toronto and don't buy from S&R Knives?   :pok:

Next time I talk to Sean and Rod I am going to give them your address so they can "arrange a demonstration" of Cold Steel's new baseball bat!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 06:56:39 PM
if one wanted to swap say the scissors out for a serrated blade on the powerlock it would be a straight swap ?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6557.0.html

You can find a list of  "individual" tools on the SOG page under MultiTools and that will tell you what tools fit each individual multitool.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 02:36:35 AM
You mean you are in Toronto and don't buy from S&R Knives?   :pok:

Next time I talk to Sean and Rod I am going to give them your address so they can "arrange a demonstration" of Cold Steel's new baseball bat!  :P

Def

Uhhh... is that a "hands on" demonstration with Cold Steel's new baseball bat?   :twak:  I think I'll have to take a rain check on that.  :P

Actually, I am familiar with S&R but it's a bit of a commute for me since I'm close to downtown.  I will have to stop by there the next time I'm in the area visiting my brother.  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:56:14 AM
looks like you really liked you new sog pal :tu: (because of the avatar :D ) :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:58:00 AM by cliosguy »
A

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 07:10:56 AM
looks like you really liked you new sog pal :tu: (because of the avatar :D ) :cheers:

lol yeah I lost a bet with my 10 year old nephew and "had" to post that pic for a specified time to honor it. ;)

sean

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD