Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no love for 130mm?

ve Offline EtherealityX1

Why no love for 130mm?
on: June 10, 2020, 04:01:25 AM
I'm curious why there's so little love in this forum for 130 mmm Vickies ? Yes I know they were formerly Wengers and there is a Wenger only thread but still, why so little interest in them?

I personally would love to own some but I do not own any for THREE reasons:

a) I already have too many Vickies and Leathies so...

b) ... knowing me if I were to buy one I would not be able to buy "JUST" one. I have the collector's gene so I know that if were gonna go the 130mm route, I would want to start off with buying at least THREE right of the bat, mainly for owning different loadouts/scale colors. For example, I woulf feel compelled to buy the green rangergrip, the gardener and the boatsman (three different color scales and loadouts) which is a pretty penny I just cannot justify ....

C) ... even if I could justify the expenditure on three 130mm Vickies, doing the math leads to me realizing I rather spend that money on other stuff on my wishlist such as a Benchmade Crooked River Mini or a set of serrated and non serrated Spyderco Pacific Salts 2. These would not be redundant as I do not own already anything like these in terms of utility ( my 111mm Vickies can do pretty most of what  I would do with 130mm ones). Again, this Benchmade and/or Spyderco route is one I do not really want to take because I know it will be yet more ammunition for my collector gene to spend yet more money on knives, which I really cant afford.

Why did I start this thread then? Well, because I would like to hear from/see pics of your 130mm Wenger/Vicky owners about them. Who knows , maybe you'll end up convincing me to finally take the plunge on those  three 130mms..... :popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:52:33 AM by EtherealityX1 »
VICKIES I own:
CLASSICS: Techno ( lost it ) , Edelweiss Green &  Black Alox
91MMs: Cybertool Lite ( My #1 fav EDC) , SoftTouch Climber RT, SoftTouch Desert Digital Camo Huntsman & StayGlow Spartan Lite.
111MMs AND BEYOND: One Handed Forester MWC ( My #4 fav EDC), Soldier 2008, Master RT, Hunter XS, TrailMaster MWC Desert, Rescue Tool Swisstool Spirit ( My # 2 fav EDC ) & Hunter Pro Alox Red.

LEATHIES I own:
Crunch ( My # 3 fav EDC) , Signal, Style CS & Style PS.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Why no love for 130mm?
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 06:07:47 AM
IMO, the 130mm knives just don't offer any meaningful advantage over the 111mm series, and in fact, the reverse may be true.  The 111mm liner locks feel a lot more solid in hand than the 130mm knives to me, and they have the fantastic oversized bottle opener/screwdriver/pry tool, which the 130mm tools lack.  Also, as someone (if that someone reads this, speak up and take credit) pointed out in another thread, while the 130mm blade is slightly longer than the 111mm blade from handle to tip, the sharpened edge length is the same.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 07:34:32 AM
I measured just now. The Outrider's cutting edge is about 88mm, and the Ranger Grip 71 Gardener's is about 93mm. That's 5mm of extra blade in 19mm of extra handle.

The blade can't be sharpened farther without possibly compromising the button mechanism for the liner lock, but I'm not 100% sold on the button, either.

I do like the giant salad shears, though, and the toothed edge of the saw is about 15mm longer than on 111mm knives. It lives with my car camping gear.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 01:35:32 PM
Just too darn big for me. Have one; never been out of box except to look at it when I first got it.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 06:32:52 PM
Aside from the blade and saw, I've always thought the other tools on the 130s were undersized.  In particular I've always found the driver on Wenger's to be undersized.  The 93s have a better driver than the 130s. 
If a big blade or the wood saw are really important to you then the 130s might be what you're looking for.  Otherwise I find the 111s are plenty big for me, and the other tools (esp that large locking screwdriver) are superior.
Drivers - 1.jpeg
* Drivers - 1.jpeg (Filesize: 124.72 KB)
- Steve

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 07:42:37 PM
I like them. I have at least five, including the Gardener, and the Boatsman is on my wish list.

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 04:11:02 PM
I recently purchased a RangerGrip 55 with the justification that the bigger blade and bigger saw would come in handy for certain tasks while hiking in the woods with my son. We haven't been hiking since I bought it, but I did test out the blade and the saw. The blade is big and helps to strip bark off of small saplings and branches quicker and easier. The saw is an absolute beast. I always have a SwissChamp on my belt when we go for a hike and it's been part of a few projects like making slingshots and a bow and some arrows. While the saw on the SC performed admirably for these tasks, after testing the saw on the RG55, there is no comparison. The RG55 won't ever replace my SC for hikes, but it will definitely be in my day pack from now on.
Semper Fortis

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 06:17:40 PM
IMO, the 130mm knives just don't offer any meaningful advantage over the 111mm series, and in fact, the reverse may be true.  The 111mm liner locks feel a lot more solid in hand than the 130mm knives to me, and they have the fantastic oversized bottle opener/screwdriver/pry tool, which the 130mm tools lack.  Also, as someone (if that someone reads this, speak up and take credit) pointed out in another thread, while the 130mm blade is slightly longer than the 111mm blade from handle to tip, the sharpened edge length is the same.

:waving:  that was me on the No Stupid Questions thread.  And I was just passing along someone else's observation.   :cheers:

us Offline gregpost

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 06:24:15 PM
 The saw on the 130mm is worth the price of admission. It has a much better feel in the hand when sawing than the 111mm. I also like the OHO on the 130mm more. The only advantage of 111mm is they have more formats with more tools for a better price and it's more pocketable. The 130mm originally being a Wenger format gets the red-headed stepchild treatment from Victorinox but I'm a big fan. My favorite current Victorinox lines are actually the 130mm and 85mm evogrip.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 06:31:52 PM
Aside from the blade and saw, I've always thought the other tools on the 130s were undersized.  In particular I've always found the driver on Wenger's to be undersized.  The 93s have a better driver than the 130s. 
If a big blade or the wood saw are really important to you then the 130s might be what you're looking for.  Otherwise I find the 111s are plenty big for me, and the other tools (esp that large locking screwdriver) are superior.

This is helpful - I haven't decided if the bigger SD is better for screws, but it is better for prying. 

I much prefer the sharp angular lines of the 130mm to the rounded curves of the 111mm.  So aesthetically, I prefer the 130mm.  But in the flesh, they are just too big to be practical for me.  The added reach of the blade is of no practical use, and as Jothra measures it out - 5mm additional blade length is of no consequence.  My guess is that the extra length of saw is not a meaningful difference either.  Besides that, I've never really wished for more saw than was on the 91mm even though I have it on a 108mm model. 

So for me, listing out the Pros and Cons - its really only a matter of aesthetics. and that isn't really worth it at this point. 

us Offline getahl

Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 07:11:11 PM
I had a single 130mm back in, I dunno, 2011 or so? Before Wenger shuttered, at least. The 130mm version of the Trekker. I did not carry it for the same reason I  don't carry a Buck 110. It's a boat anchor. Yeah, the saw is good sized, but it's still just a SAK saw, and a standalone folding saw is more useful for my purposes. I can see it being a good dinner knife for around camp, but I wouldn't  carry it around. Ended up selling it for a loss.

ve Offline EtherealityX1

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 07:51:59 PM
Thanks for you input guys... hmmm somehow that RangerGrip gardener is starting to look more attractive by the day. I really think its the most unique  offering from the 130mm line  , all other models are redundant with the 111mm line.

Darn it stop convincing me to spend more money on SAKs already! <--- says the guy who is posting in a SAK lovers' forum full of a bunch of enablers LOL 😂 😆 😝
VICKIES I own:
91MMs: Cybertool Lite ( My #1 fav EDC) , SoftTouch Climber RT, SoftTouch Desert Digital Camo Huntsman & StayGlow Spartan Lite.
111MMs AND BEYOND: One Handed Forester MWC ( My #4 fav EDC), Soldier 2008, Master RT, Hunter XS, TrailMaster MWC Desert, Rescue Tool Swisstool Spirit ( My # 2 fav EDC ) & Hunter Pro Alox Red.

LEATHIES I own:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 11:22:32 PM
Thanks for you input guys... hmmm somehow that RangerGrip gardener is starting to look more attractive by the day. I really think its the most unique  offering from the 130mm line  , all other models are redundant with the 111mm line.

Darn it stop convincing me to spend more money on SAKs already! <--- says the guy who is posting in a SAK lovers' forum full of a bunch of enablers LOL 😂 😆 😝

The Rangergrip Gardener is certainly unique.  Those scissors  :o

You'll have to post pictures when you get it   :cheers:

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 11:50:29 PM
Depends on the task.  The 130 blades I've found to be perfect for panfish cleaning because they flex a little and the saw's taller spine and little bit of added length are a benefit.  Good for camping.  It might also be an advantage if you ever found the need to defend yourself with it.  The whole blade may not be able to be sharpened (much more than the 111) but it is still a longer blade.  I've not had any issue with the blade locks on either of mine, and I think they're kinda cool.  Plus, they all have the hex socket built in if you wanted to use it and pack a bit kit.

Should you get a 111mm or a 130mm?   yes  :tu:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:56:08 PM by CraftsmanSAK »
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 12:05:27 AM

Should you get a 111mm and a 130mm?   yes  :tu:

Fixed that for you  :D

ve Offline EtherealityX1

Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 04:31:58 AM
Fixed that for you  :D

😂 lol, I already own 6 111mm, 7 soon as soon as the new CheeseMaster Vickie gets released here in Japan where I live. Yes I know this might pale in comparison of how many some of u guys have but its enough for me.

Its the 130 mm ones I have none of. U guys are succesfully convincing me to get at least the Gardener... problem is that down the line the completionist in me would want one in green and in yellow too. Thise are fo collecting, would rarely get any use. The Gardener will get some use for sure though....

VICKIES I own:

LEATHIES I own:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 10:02:09 AM
I have three or four including the legendary Wenger Snow Beast but I almost never use them.
If I want a bigger blade (which I do!) I prefer something a little bit tougher. Also, having spent hundreds of bucks on nice knives I like to use them, not a relatively cheap thing with a soft blade and plastic handles.
If Victorinox used a nicer steel in the 130mm range that would of course change everything. But they won't, so...

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:39 PM
I have one, a Rangergrip 79. I bought it to check out the 130mm platform, and I quite like it...

Yes it is big and heavy, so EDC is not an option, but it can work as a bag carry option. The ergos are good, it fills the hand nicely, more so than the 111s. The saw is also much better than the 111mm saw. It lives in my car boot with the emergency kit, and I use it on occasion for picnics.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:05:08 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 03:32:02 PM
My only 130mm is a Rangergrip wood 55. Really like it for yard work, especially the saw. But it is certainly too large for EDC, so that is the only use it sees.

de Offline Gryko

Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 08:09:22 AM
I like them for their handy feeling. They are lying good in my hands and for me the saw is the best you can have on a SAK. It's much better than the saws on the 111mm-line, especially the newer ones on the linerlocks. Only wish the cap lifter were sturdier.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 03:49:11 PM
I like them for their handy feeling. They are lying good in my hands and for me the saw is the best you can have on a SAK. It's much better than the saws on the 111mm-line, especially the newer ones on the linerlocks. Only wish the cap lifter were sturdier.

For those who say that the 130mm saws are better than the 111mm.  I'd can't imagine that the length makes a noticeable difference.  Is it something else about the curvature or the thickness creating less drag?   :think:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 12:04:03 AM
The Winemaster is divine, everyone who enjoys should have one! Incidentally, calling SAKs "Vickies" gives me the creeps. I think there is a forum rule explicitly forbidding it (if not, there should be one)  :pok:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 09:24:43 AM
"So when do I finally get to meet this Vicky you been talking about?"
-"Oh there's more than one Vicky. In fact there are dozens of them. They're all... quite beautiful."
"I don't understand."
-"I keep them in their boxes. Lined up in neat rows. Sometimes I let them out and caress them."
"Er, you have lots of Vickies?"
-"Sure. You could say I'm a collector. The first one was a Hiker."
"A hiker?"
-"I was so happy for a week or two but then I needed more. Before long I had a Picnicker, a Fireman, a Lumberjack... there's so many of them, I lose track."
"Are they all here, in this house?"
-"Mostly upstairs. But there's a bunch of Soldiers in the cellar."
"Alive?"
-"I don't think so. Why don't we have a look?"
"You're too kind, But I have to go. Really urgently!"
-"You're not going anywhere until you've seen the Cowboy in my bedroom!"
"Oh God no, please - "
-"Or I could show you the Woodsman in the trunk of my car!"
"Get away from me you monster!"

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 12:47:53 AM
-"Oh there's more than one Vicky. In fact there are dozens of them. They're all... quite beautiful."
"I don't understand."
-"I keep them in their boxes. Lined up in neat rows. Sometimes I let them out and caress them."
"A hiker?"
-"I was so happy for a week or two but then I needed more. Before long I had a Picnicker, a Fireman, a Lumberjack... there's so many of them, I lose track."
"Alive?"
-"I don't think so
. Why don't we have a look?"
"Oh God no, please - "

I choked on a fish stick

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 01:02:49 AM
"I don't understand."
"A hiker?"
"Alive?"
"Oh God no, please - "

:rofl:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #25 on: June 20, 2020, 03:21:40 AM
"I don't understand."
"A hiker?"
"Alive?"
"Oh God no, please - "

Superb!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Rambler

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 03:34:51 AM
 :rofl: :tu:  Good stuff... Good stuff!
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 11:35:14 AM
This needs to be a sticky.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jothra did have the original Vicky, a huntsman that got a 30 day testing to fill your knifes soul with fear . After what he did to it,  I reckon he can call it what he wants
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2020, 12:07:08 PM
"I don't understand."
"A hiker?"
"Alive?"
"Oh God no, please - "
Brilliant  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
They don't like it up 'em!

ve Offline EtherealityX1

Reply #29 on: June 20, 2020, 07:13:11 PM
"I don't understand."
"A hiker?"
"Alive?"
"Oh God no, please - "

Lolz!!!! Now do one with Leathies 😝
VICKIES I own:

LEATHIES I own:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%