Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maglite Led 3d flickering problems

nl Offline anditsgone

Maglite Led 3d flickering problems
on: October 18, 2015, 11:52:14 AM
My (i think it is the 2nd gen) Maglite led 3d has flickering problems, some times the light goes very dim and some times it even goes completely out. I have already treated al the contact areas with electrical contact cleaner and it was fine again. But the problem keeps coming back. I have also smashed the light on the ground and the problem is solved for a couple of minutes. I also slammed the smurf out of the light with the pommel of my cold steel mini ak 47 because it was the only hammer like tool i had with me, but it also only solves the problem for a couple of minutes.

As soon as i start to walk or move a lot and the battery's inside the tube start to move it starts to flicker and some times dim completely. Always at the worsts possible moments of course  :twak:

Anyone has a fix for this?

gb Offline pingu

Re: Maglite Led 3d flickering problems
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 01:44:44 PM

As soon as i start to walk or move a lot and the battery's inside the tube start to move it starts to flicker ...

This is just a generic answer as I don't have any Maglites but is there a clue there which needs to be eliminated  :think:

And in the same context eliminate any possible battery undersize issues, particularly length.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:47:18 PM by pingu »

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:45:48 PM

As soon as i start to walk or move a lot and the battery's inside the tube start to move it starts to flicker ...

This is just a generic answer as I don't have any Maglites but is there a clue there which needs to be eliminated  :think:

And in the same context eliminate any possible battery undersize issues, particularly length.

I know this seems logical but it did not had these problems when it was a couple months old, and i have thoroughly cleaned the contact areas so bad connecting cant be the problem.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:24:13 PM
I know this seems logical but it did not had these problems when it was a couple months old, and i have thoroughly cleaned the contact areas so bad connecting cant be the problem.

It could be if the battery cells are rattling/monving inside the tube.  ;) You could try bringing the spring to sit a little higher or wrap the cells with some paper/tape and see if that helps.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:26:18 PM

Anyone has a fix for this?

Yes ->  :crash: <-

I had a LED Solitaire that used to do the same.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:59:19 PM
Could be a bad connection somewhere in the head. :-\

Maglite have a warranty to cover this sort of thing though, it would be well worth your time checking it out. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:58 PM
Could it be as simple as the spring losing some pressure? Over time and bouncing around it loses its strength?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 07:52:06 PM
Could it be as simple as the spring losing some pressure? Over time and bouncing around it loses its strength?

That would be my first guess and first plan of action.
I'm the milk man!

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:57:15 PM
The spring offers enough pressure to make good contact. it even pressed the + side of the d cell a little bit inwards.
I wil buy another set of battery's to see if it makes a difference. Although this set still has 70 to 80 percent of their capacity left.
I really like my Maglite but if there is one thing i would absolutly hate about a light is if it goes dim at the worst moments. And unfourtanly it does that :facepalm:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 08:20:48 PM
I know how it feels, my Preon 2 does the same thing. At the WORST possible times.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
The spring offers enough pressure to make good contact. it even pressed the + side of the d cell a little bit inwards.
I wil buy another set of battery's to see if it makes a difference. Although this set still has 70 to 80 percent of their capacity left.
I really like my Maglite but if there is one thing i would absolutly hate about a light is if it goes dim at the worst moments. And unfourtanly it does that :facepalm:

That's tough. It seems like the members who buy lifetime warranty american made products have trouble with them and sending in for warranty would be a big pain, but the American members buy the same light and never need to use the warranty. I feel bad for you guys.  :(

I would call or email Maglite and see if they are willing to send you some parts to maybe fix it yourself. They might be inclined to do this since you live so far away and it will be cost efficient for everyone. Can't hurt to ask. If they say no they there is always a way to get what you want.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 02:31:26 PM
In my many years of using Maglites, I've encountered this issue a few times and the problem has always been the spring getting squashed down, as others have mentioned.
The first thing I was do is grab my Leatherman and stretch that spring out a bit. Another thing that sometimes helps with the bigger lights (anything over 2 cells) is wrapping a bit of tape around the batteries to "fatten" them up a little and reduce lateral movement.

Offline LAwindsurfer

• New User
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 09:27:41 PM
The cheap Aluminum barrel flash lights seem to be unreliable with intermittent connections, so I bought an expensive SOLITAIRE made by Mag lite. Ultimately, it too seem to have problems, and I was nearly ready to trash it. The light would come on full brightness, and then go out.  If I fiddled with it, the light would flash on, and then quit.  Sometimes it would stay on for a few seconds; other times it quit almost instantaneously.  It seemed like a classic bad connection problem.

Just to rule it out, I checked the battery and surprisingly found it to be really weak, 1.2 volts. A new battery cured the problem.  I didn't suspect bad battery because bulb, when it came on, was at bright  full brightness. Bottom line, always check battery.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 02:53:47 AM
The cheap Aluminum barrel flash lights seem to be unreliable with intermittent connections, so I bought an expensive SOLITAIRE made by Mag lite. Ultimately, it too seem to have problems, and I was nearly ready to trash it. The light would come on full brightness, and then go out.  If I fiddled with it, the light would flash on, and then quit.  Sometimes it would stay on for a few seconds; other times it quit almost instantaneously.  It seemed like a classic bad connection problem.

Just to rule it out, I checked the battery and surprisingly found it to be really weak, 1.2 volts. A new battery cured the problem.  I didn't suspect bad battery because bulb, when it came on, was at bright  full brightness. Bottom line, always check battery.

I have a ton of issues out of "Insert store brand here" aluminum barrel lights. Drop 'em once and they're trash.

My Streamlight Sidewinder was flickering pretty bad, and outright cutting out. This is a light that is used an hour a night pretty much. I checked the battery saying to myself "I just put this battery in a month ago, it should be good". Terminals were corroded, and batteries showed signs of leakage. Duracells of all things. Supposedly the best there is. I've switched to Energizer as of late. Even Maglite is no longer packing Duracells with the lights. My AAA Mini Magilte had Rayovacs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%