Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

If I could start from the beginning again...

ca Offline Altis

Re: If I could start from the beginning again...
Reply #60 on: July 27, 2020, 08:47:08 PM
I was very fortunate to receive a Woodsman (Explorer with wood saw / Huntsman with magnifying glass and inline phillips) as my first SAK when I was a young lad. I don't think I could have done any better as this to me is just about the perfect blend of outdoors and daily practicality. It's even more fortunate given they don't currently make this model (I hope they do again, though). This was my only SAK for about 10 years until I was again gifted a Cybertool 34 (M), which I also really like and has been my daily carry for school and work (electrical engineering). Then about 8 or 9 years later I caught the bug and have been going wild with collecting them.  :D

I can't think of a better progression that I could have asked for. My brother got a Craftsman (Handyman with T-Phillips in lieu of corkscrew) which is also another great route. When you're young, you don't daily carry a knife because you're in school and such, and it's more for being creative, fixing things, and bringing out to the sticks. So I don't see a point in getting a very small one to begin with compared with a 4-5 layer that has more possibilities for use (and I find they're a bit safer in the hand when they're a bit thicker). It's also probably better for optics when young people have the traditional red cellidor scales as they're iconic and won't be mistaken for anything else.

That's my story. What I would recommend to others starting out would depend on so many things, like age, anticipated use, and how/if they would carry, etc... ie. urban/daily use: Classic SD Alox, Manager, Compact, Super Tinker, CyberTool M.... outdoor use: Farmer X, Ranger, Handyman...

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 27, 2020, 10:32:39 PM
I was very fortunate to receive a Woodsman (Explorer with wood saw / Huntsman with magnifying glass and inline phillips) as my first SAK when I was a young lad. I don't think I could have done any better as this to me is just about the perfect blend of outdoors and daily practicality. It's even more fortunate given they don't currently make this model (I hope they do again, though). This was my only SAK for about 10 years until I was again gifted a Cybertool 34 (M), which I also really like and has been my daily carry for school and work (electrical engineering). Then about 8 or 9 years later I caught the bug and have been going wild with collecting them.  :D

I can't think of a better progression that I could have asked for. My brother got a Craftsman (Handyman with T-Phillips in lieu of corkscrew) which is also another great route. When you're young, you don't daily carry a knife because you're in school and such, and it's more for being creative, fixing things, and bringing out to the sticks. So I don't see a point in getting a very small one to begin with compared with a 4-5 layer that has more possibilities for use (and I find they're a bit safer in the hand when they're a bit thicker). It's also probably better for optics when young people have the traditional red cellidor scales as they're iconic and won't be mistaken for anything else.

That's my story. What I would recommend to others starting out would depend on so many things, like age, anticipated use, and how/if they would carry, etc... ie. urban/daily use: Classic SD Alox, Manager, Compact, Super Tinker, CyberTool M.... outdoor use: Farmer X, Ranger, Handyman...

:cheers:   :iagree:  As a teenager, the Mag and inline Phillips sure was a lot of fun.  A Woodsman would certainly have got me hooked on SAKs much earlier.  But at that age I used the Champion, and that was too unwieldy for me.  The ergonomics of using knife, or even carrying it wasn't ideal.  The Woodsman has all the fun and important things for a young person.   

nl Online Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #62 on: July 28, 2020, 04:55:10 PM
If I could start all over again I wouldn´t have a collection, just a few SAKs / pocket knives for daily use. I think a Bushcrafter, a MiniChamp, a SwissChamp, and one or two Huntsman would be enough. It´s not that I don´t like my collection, I do, but I don´t really need all that stuff (150 SAKs and pocket knives in 40 years) and the money could have been spent in better ways. I haven´t bought much in the last couple years, only two or three SAKs and a Rough Rider knife. Most of my collection is pre 2015.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #63 on: July 28, 2020, 05:52:30 PM
If I could start all over again I wouldn´t have a collection, just a few SAKs / pocket knives for daily use. I think a Bushcrafter, a MiniChamp, a SwissChamp, and one or two Huntsman would be enough. It´s not that I don´t like my collection, I do, but I don´t really need all that stuff (150 SAKs and pocket knives in 40 years) and the money could have been spent in better ways. I haven´t bought much in the last couple years, only two or three SAKs and a Rough Rider knife. Most of my collection is pre 2015.

Lazy...

:whistle:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #64 on: July 29, 2020, 06:40:20 PM
I would have told myself about the Handyman. And that 6 layer SAKs aren't that bad to pocket carry. I got my first Victorinox (a Fieldmaster) at 18, then I was on a Leatherman frenzy for about 2 or 3 years, now I'm 22 and realise that although the leatherman tools are very robust, there is no substitute for a SAK. I rotate between a Troubleshooter, Champion and Handyman now. The wood saw is still among one of my fave tools because it's so practical, I wish they made a Troubleshooter with a saw and corkscrew instead of file and Philips. Would have saved myself a lot of money if I had just gotten a Handyman to begin with. Best tool set in the line up IMO.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #65 on: July 29, 2020, 08:54:42 PM
Yeah. If I had to do this again...I would not change a thing. Much like Tosh...I have stopped buying collection pieces. I just ran out of room. With over 1000 SAKs, I have more than enough.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #66 on: July 29, 2020, 10:16:10 PM
Yeah. If I had to do this again...I would not change a thing. Much like Tosh...I have stopped buying collection pieces. I just ran out of room. With over 1000 SAKs, I have more than not yet enough.  :facepalm:

FTFY...

:whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #67 on: July 29, 2020, 10:18:11 PM
 :rofl:

:hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: July 31, 2020, 04:21:44 PM
This journey has been part hobby, part necessity, part adventure, part investment, part camaraderie, and a whole bunch of FUN.  One step in a different direction changes a lot more than you think.  I love the idea of those who bought and carried the same tool ( knife, light, MT,SAK ) for years, and still carry them.  I've made some wonderful friends here on MTO, made some good trades, gave away a lot of tools, made a few bucks, tried an awful lot of neat tools throughout the process. 

I've learned a lot mostly.  I have also discovered there is a level of meditative relaxation when caring for my collection.  I've saved money too.  Learning about rechargeable batteries has been wonderful.  I haven't bought a battery in a good long while.  I have helped countless people with my tools.  I have saved countless trips to my vehicle for a tool.  I have been "the guy" who can save the day and thats pretty cool. 

I have been part of some wonderful conversations here on MTO.  I have upped my camping gear from basic to awesome.   I have helped several decide which tool to buy saving them from this journey we're on.  I've also got a few started on the journey. 

If I could start from the beginning again, I would have been broader in my purchases.  It took a while to "get into" fixed blades, and traditional folders.  If I could start from the beginning again, I'd likely be right here. 

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: July 31, 2020, 05:18:53 PM
If I were to start over again, I think I would want to broaden my horizon earlier.  I was generously gifted with a Swisschamp when I was young, and was so content with the tool sets that I never bother to explore other models until much later in my life.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #70 on: July 31, 2020, 06:06:07 PM
This journey has been part hobby, part necessity, part adventure, part investment, part camaraderie, and a whole bunch of FUN.  One step in a different direction changes a lot more than you think.  I love the idea of those who bought and carried the same tool ( knife, light, MT,SAK ) for years, and still carry them.  I've made some wonderful friends here on MTO, made some good trades, gave away a lot of tools, made a few bucks, tried an awful lot of neat tools throughout the process. 

I've learned a lot mostly.  I have also discovered there is a level of meditative relaxation when caring for my collection.  I've saved money too.  Learning about rechargeable batteries has been wonderful.  I haven't bought a battery in a good long while.  I have helped countless people with my tools.  I have saved countless trips to my vehicle for a tool.  I have been "the guy" who can save the day and thats pretty cool. 

I have been part of some wonderful conversations here on MTO.  I have upped my camping gear from basic to awesome.   I have helped several decide which tool to buy saving them from this journey we're on.  I've also got a few started on the journey. 

If I could start from the beginning again, I would have been broader in my purchases.  It took a while to "get into" fixed blades, and traditional folders.  If I could start from the beginning again, I'd likely be right here. 

Excellent summation   :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44