Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

maxpedition or LAPG? 733

Hero Member Posts: 783
maxpedition or LAPG?
« on: June 25, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »
Im looking for a backpack or two. I have an old ALICE with frame and a couple cheapies (which work well, but limited space).

Im not on a budget, so money is no factor. Im more worried about best for money.

with maxpedition doing their BOGO sale, I thought it might be a good time to buy a couple. On the other hand, LAPG has plenty of good options that people seem to love. Both I've seen have reviews with quality issues. Maxpedition having buckle issues and LAPG having seams ripping.

My use wont be hard or heavy loading. But Id rather buy once, cry once if possible.

any insight would be appreciated.
Hero Member Posts: 929
Re: maxpedition or LAPG?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:08:57 AM »
I don't have a full pack from Maxpedition, but I do have an organiser and a versipack (a side bag basically, I also have another pouch/organsier but I haven't really used it yet) and both are extremely well made and have stood the test of time. The organiser is my on the go tool kit and has seen 8 years of use and looks new, the versipack has seen me through two two week+ Disney World trips and some general use and still looks new over four years later. I can't speak to LAPG but i can certainly attest to the quality and durability of Maxpedition. If money were no object then I'd fully support two bags from them, one full size pack and a smaller more everyday runaround deal (or if you travel frequently, maybe something more luggage like).  :cheers:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:43:44 AM »
Thanks for the input GF.

I was looking at the fullsized gryfalcon and then possibly a sitka or kodiak. Just for something different. I ordered 2 more of the pouches. Currently have the Fatty, but got the micro for a little smaller tote. Then got the massive chubby. I noticed they are great quality esp for the price points.
Hero Member Posts: 929
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 04:18:13 PM »
I didn't need to find out they had a sale  :facepalm:

What's the shipping like? I've been wanting a Janus extension pouch for my versipack for a while now.

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,527
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
I've had the pouches for a while now and cant fault them.  I have the Micro, EDC, Fatty, Cocoon, and 3X5 Notebook holder.  All have been flawless.  I did get a Monsoon from a bud that he had for a good long while.  He beat the breaks off it and its suffered a tore bottle holder and some corrosion on the zippers.  I'd say any bag that was abused like he did this would not have lasted.  I'm not sure when he got it but I'm guessing +6/7 years  :dunno:.  Used as a everyday bag for the gym, work, play, snorkeling, daddy diaper bag, weekend out of town bag, and so on. 

I'll snap a few pics later today.  I've attempted to clean the sand out and given up  :D.  I lubed the zippers and they work as expected.  I may not fuss about the bag anymore since he seems to not have really fussed and its in very usable condition.  Its my first larger Maxpedition pack and I'm fairly impressed with its durability knowing he was not kind to it. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 07:12:04 PM »
GF, shipping is free over $180 USD...Im not sure about international though.

ALoha, thats pretty impressive. I may be sold then. Now what other bag to get with it?

Gryfalcon will be #1. I dont ever wish I had a small pack like the versipack. I just utilized cargo pockets as needed. I never had the one strap pack before. So I was thinking of trying one of them. If Im spending $200+, may as well get something I can use for more than one thing.  :tu:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,527
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 02:29:38 AM »
I"ll get pics up in a bit just got home.  I agree get a back that can serve today and later on with multiple purposes.  Larger bags IMO need two straps as the weight on one side can get burdensome. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 04:15:20 AM »
Welp. I did it. Imma go cry more than once.  :rofl:

got Gyrfalcon in black (khaki foliage was sold out) and Falcon III in Wolf Gray.

Came to...$118.495 per bag. I cannot complain. Free shipping, which will take a few weeks. But Im in no hurry.  :mail:
No Life Club Posts: 1,826 Duck!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »
Well I'm late to the thread, as usual...

How are your packs holding up?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD