Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Handyman to replace a Charge :)

pomsbz · 28 · 1485

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Handyman to replace a Charge :)
on: June 29, 2020, 04:12:02 PM
I did a search for Handyman and it came up with practically nothing. Where's the love? I rather like the looks of this model. Specifically to replace a LM Charge AL. Crazy? No, I don't think so. Lighter, smaller, same width, better blades, saw and scissors (IMO), additional awl and chisel (I won't mention the hook), carry legal in restrictive areas, much much cheaper, etc. I carry a Knipex 125mm for any real pliers work as I've found the LM pliers to be lacking. The little pliers on the SAK would replace my current use for the LM pliers, i.e. holding screws while I fiddle around in tight places. I'm interested in a comparison to the LM file whose diamond side works great (the other side and edge don't work very well) as well as the wire cutter feature. The LM wire cutters are rather weak, how do these compare?

Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:30:26 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Huntsman to replace a Charge :)
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:23:37 PM
Can't fault your decision at all.  I stopped carrying a full size MT due to not "needing" the pliers as much as I initially thought I would.  Sure they came in handy but not enough to warrant carrying them.  I moved to a Squirt for my pliers needs.  Yes, they've come up short at times but in a majority of those situations it was not a heartbreak. 

I did miss the dual file of my LM tho.  The diamond is a dream.  The saw was not missed nor were the blades.  I did gain great scissors with my Explorer and a mag glass that I adore.  The inline philips takes care of a lot and the two flat drivers from the bottle open and can opener take care of most everything else.

While the Squirt has a file its only eh.  It has worked in the moments I needed which was nice.  I also gained a pin and pen which the LM didn't have and while I can carry those separate my plus scales does so effortlessly. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Handyman to replace a Charge :)
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:14:35 AM
I'm interested in a comparison to the LM file whose diamond side works great (the other side and edge don't work very well) as well as the wire cutter feature. The LM wire cutters are rather weak, how do these compare?

Any other thoughts?

The Vic metal file/metal saw is good for what it is, though not the equal of the LM diamond file.

The wire cutters on the 91mm pliers are well-made and, in my experience, will cut through just about anything that will fit in their jaws.  However, due to the short wire cutter edge length and the jaws only opening so far, this criterion is rather limiting.

Overall, I think you're making the right move!   :tu:
I've often wondered why anyone who doesn't get a lot of use out of the pliers or wire cutters would choose a pliers-based MT over a knife-based MT, for all of the reasons you've stated.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Handyman to replace a Charge [emoji4]
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 08:12:38 PM
+1 here. Replaced my Wave with a Signal at first as an edc. Then went with a Work Champ. And I totally love it. For my tasks it does everything I need in the urban area and during our camping trips, though I’ll additionally bring Signal just in case there.

I never really used scissors on a Wave - they’re good, but not really convenient to use. Though I just love Vic scissors

Speaking of a saw - I do prefer LM saws - they cut easier and cleaner, though Vic does great job as well.

Speaking of the file - for my use I like Vic better - I don’t sharpen anything with it, just actually filing things made of wood or aluminum

Love the awl, toothpick, even the corkscrew - despite the fact I don’t drink at all it keeps the tiny screwdriver inside.

Blade is larger, cuts better, easier to keep razor sharp...

Pliers are really handy all the time - you get better reach with them due to their size and I even use them to cut new strings on my Tele - works like a charm

P.S.: and don’t forget those amazing inline Phillips screwdrivers
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 12:05:17 AM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 11:29:33 PM
The diamond file on the Wave and TTi is just marvelous. If you can do without it, I would opt for the Rebar or Spirit. If LM would equip the Rebar with the diamond file, I think the Rebar would become their best selling model.
The Handyman is my favorite Vic pocket knife. If you can do without large pliers, it's the perfect pocket knife.
The discontinued 111 mm Tradesman is also one of my favorite tools. Bigger tools, bigger blade. Unfortunately hard to find these days.
It all depends on what, where and when you have to use a knife, and how much weight you wish to carry.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 12:16:22 AM
Having neither the Handyman nor the Charge I would say go for it. I wish I replaced the Wave with the Adventurer years before.  I ended up replacing it with a 93mm Soldier, but for my purposes at the time an Adventurer would have been perfect.

If I recall correctly.... which I rarely do.... The file on a Champion over the one on the Wave made me switch.  Not actually because of the quality, but because of the shape. As for the quality, anything goes for me and I only need them around the house when I have my choice of any and all.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:20:48 AM
Wow - What sacrilege is this  ???    :pok:    :o    :D

I am sure you all know I am a big Vic fan - Although I do love my LMs too.
- But I gotta agree - I only ever carry a small SAK as EDC.

Although I usually add the Juice into my pocket at the w/e for small jobs around the house - This has made me think I might just try the SwissChamp for the weekend.

Interesting point about the WorkChamp Alexanderre - Good call - Especially for those camping trips - That model really is a powerhouse - With a  broad set of tools/capability.
And outside opening tools are just the best. So much more convenient - I do find my LMs a tiny bit frustrating/inconvenient for that !

This has also made me think I need to try my diamond file a bit more - I hardly ever use it!!
What do you guys use it for? - Just sharpening blades?

Good discussion 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:39:51 AM
Wow - What sacrilege is this  ???    :pok:    :o    :D

I am sure you all know I am a big Vic fan - Although I do love my LMs too.
- But I gotta agree - I only ever carry a small SAK as EDC.

Although I usually add the Juice into my pocket at the w/e for small jobs around the house - This has made me think I might just try the SwissChamp for the weekend.

Interesting point about the WorkChamp Alexanderre - Good call - Especially for those camping trips - That model really is a powerhouse - With a  broad set of tools/capability.
And outside opening tools are just the best. So much more convenient - I do find my LMs a tiny bit frustrating/inconvenient for that !

This has also made me think I need to try my diamond file a bit more - I hardly ever use it!!
What do you guys use it for? - Just sharpening blades?

Good discussion

I was an avid camper during the Leatherman revolution. The first expensive knife purchase I made was a Leatherman Supertool.   I remember everyone I camped around, or with gradually making the transition to a Leatherman or Gerber from a dedicated folder. Very few carried a SAK from what I remember. Looking back on it, I don't know how or why they caught on for the outdoors. All we ever did with them is pull hot pots off the fire, and potentially ruin the heat treat.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 03:25:06 AM
I like the Handyman as a slightly stripped down Swisschamp. A little lighter and thinner, all business.

The Vic metal file/metal saw is good for what it is, though not the equal of the LM diamond file.

The wire cutters on the 91mm pliers are well-made and, in my experience, will cut through just about anything that will fit in their jaws.  However, due to the short wire cutter edge length and the jaws only opening so far, this criterion is rather limiting.

Overall, I think you're making the right move!   :tu:
I've often wondered why anyone who doesn't get a lot of use out of the pliers or wire cutters would choose a pliers-based MT over a knife-based MT, for all of the reasons you've stated.

:iagree:

I prefer the old case hardened file to the newer stainless one. It seems to be very much an outlying view, but for me its finer cut makes it more versatile, and I think it's more durable as well.
Rambler

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 11:27:53 AM
Let's do some comparisons.

LM Charge TTi - 240 grams
LM Wave+ - 240 g
LM Rebar - 188 g
Vic Spirit - 212 g
Vic Handyman - 154 g
Vic Tradesman - 172 g

All have their own pluses and minuses.
P7047125.JPG
* P7047125.JPG (Filesize: 166.01 KB)
P7047126.JPG
* P7047126.JPG (Filesize: 182.97 KB)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 08:16:53 PM
Very useful picture comparison!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 01:11:05 AM
 :iagree:   :like:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 11:12:33 AM
I missed this thread when I made the observation that the Ranger was a plierless Swisstool X, and if you carry the knife pliers why bother with the extra thickness of the  Handyman?  :dunno:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 11:15:47 AM
I missed this thread when I made the observation that the Ranger was a plierless Swisstool X, and if you carry the knife pliers why bother with the extra thickness of the  Handyman?  :dunno:

How dare you be so logical!  :D

Truth is that my knipex are very blunt nosed and of course I have no wire cutting abilities at all, hence thinking of the Handyman. Question is whether the SAK pliers can fill that hole at all. It's an issue that I've never actually held them in hand and I have a feeling that I will not know till I actually see them.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 11:37:46 AM
How dare you be so logical!  :D

Truth is that my knipex are very blunt nosed and of course I have no wire cutting abilities at all, hence thinking of the Handyman. Question is whether the SAK pliers can fill that hole at all. It's an issue that I've never actually held them in hand and I have a feeling that I will not know till I actually see them.

Makes sense, I too would rather try something out myself to see how it may suit my needs. I have a small set of vise grips, 125mm 5WR, which have a small wire cutting area in the jaws and probably more capable than the Vic plier wire cutters, but wouldn't have the jaw capacity of the Knipex, I'm guessing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:51:21 AM by TazzieRob »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 05:59:37 AM
Question is whether the SAK pliers can fill that hole at all.
The wire cutting ability of the SAK pliers is almost nonexistent.  If you want' need to cut anything bigger than a paper clip size wire, you're out of luck.
Not the best pictures, but you can see that the wire cutting "notch" isn't very big.
SAK Pliers - 1.jpeg
* SAK Pliers - 1.jpeg (Filesize: 29.29 KB)
SAK Pliers - 2.jpeg
* SAK Pliers - 2.jpeg (Filesize: 46.88 KB)
- Steve

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 06:48:47 AM
I edc a Handyman. Best choice I've ever made as far as my EDC goes. I used to carry a PST all the time. Not knocking it for what it is, but I found myself needing tweezers or a hook of some sort, and a saw, and the file is a step above my Leatherman's. The Handyman covers most of the bases for me  :tu: It's a fine choice
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 08:27:15 AM
The wire cutting ability of the SAK pliers is almost nonexistent.  If you want' need to cut anything bigger than a paper clip size wire, you're out of luck.
Not the best pictures, but you can see that the wire cutting "notch" isn't very big.

Thank you, that is very useful.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 08:37:25 AM
I wonder if I should think of the Ranger instead.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 10:40:38 AM

:pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 03:20:07 PM

I just ordered one  :facepalm: After (yet again) extensive thinking about the pros and cons of several SAK models, I decided to give the Huntsman another look. Only issue was the missing ability to manipulate metal. I like the Handyman, but i don’t need pliers very often, and I wanted a smaller SAK. That’s were the Ranger comes in.
Wanted the newer version though, because the metal saw is more aggressive. I’ll let you know how i like it once it arrives  :cheers:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 06:43:51 PM
I just ordered one  :facepalm: After (yet again) extensive thinking about the pros and cons of several SAK models, I decided to give the Huntsman another look. Only issue was the missing ability to manipulate metal. I like the Handyman, but i don’t need pliers very often, and I wanted a smaller SAK. That’s were the Ranger comes in.
Wanted the newer version though, because the metal saw is more aggressive. I’ll let you know how i like it once it arrives  :cheers:

:salute:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 09:38:57 PM

I've manage to cut somewhat larger than paper clip wire size by taking a couple of "bites" to get through the wire, but they definitely have limited capability.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 03:25:54 PM
Yeah - I had reasonable success on small wire too - But don't ever try on stranded wire!!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 04:21:07 PM
Yeah - I had reasonable success on small wire too - But don't ever try on stranded wire!!

To be honest my Charge fails badly at stuff like bike brake/gear cable which is hardly that taxing to any real wire cutters. I've wondered if the newer plus pliers with the replaceable cutters would be better.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 06:43:37 AM
I have a new EDC setup coming in the mail as well. I carried a Victorinox Handyman and found it too heavy for pocket carry after a while. So I ordered these Knipex Pliers which will be carried with a Wenger Handyman. At the end of the day I value Pliers, Saw, Scissors. I don't like carrying a full on multitool anymore because I'm committed to carrying a SAK and all I carried an MT for was pliers anyway, so this will be a good setup with little redundancy. Also I find that the Wenger flathead screwdriver is more useful than a Vic's. It has a more profiled shape which is good light prying and fits more screws without slipping, plus that lateral lock is a bonus too. I'm a Wenger fan now.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 08, 2020, 01:40:46 PM
 :like: :cheers: Kool set up.. 8)
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!