Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice Retired.

Gareth · 57 · 2686

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Juice Retired.
on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:13 AM
I don't keep my finger on the pulse like I used to do but I'm sorry to say I missed the fact the whole Juice line has been retired. :(  I remember when this forum was a lot younger and a lot more folks seemed to be big fans of the Juice.  Much discussion was had over it's various qualities and shortcomings.  Sadly I don't think LM did anything to help when they "updated" it some years back and did nothing to address the fundamental issues we had. 

You know what I'd love to see?  A much simpler replacement.  A "box" style handle set that's half way in size between a Rebar and a Micra.  Perhaps an option between pliers and a scissors head.  A few screwdrivers and perhaps a file or something.  Oh yeah, a scaled down PST, that's what I want.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Juice Retired.
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 11:39:48 AM
A mini PST would be great! Unfortunately I don't see Leatherman doing anything sensible like that anymore
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:54:26 AM
 :iagree: on both point, so a  :drool: and a  :facepalm:

:D

The only Juice models I have are the ones that didn't make it long in production :whistle: Kf4 and the Pro (the Xe6 was similar I know but still different ;) :D ) :cheers:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 01:09:00 PM
Yeah, the only one I have is the limited run SC2.  I always fancied the CS4 but never enough to actually BUY one.  :D

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:41 PM
Never had a Juice before but this thread prompted me to have a look again.

I now have a SC2 on the way that I got for $28    :D

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 02:48:22 PM
Due to knife laws here in the uk the juice is my edc, either a cs4 or c2. I will be sorry to see them go as they are a very capable little tool.

Hope they replace it with something similar in size and capability and importantly uk legal.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:23:19 PM
Nice grab Steve.  I keep an S2 in my flea market pack.  Its a good tool just needed some refinement.  Its a shame they let it go.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 03:28:22 PM
Hope they replace it with something similar in size and capability and importantly uk legal.
:like:

I have a CS4. I rarely use it as it's a bit too bulky for the pocket and quite frankly the blade is a bit on the small/dainty side.

I would prefer a mini Rebar/PST type but, like you, UK legal.

Perhaps a Micra with pliers or a larger Squirt PS4  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 03:34:34 PM
I don't keep my finger on the pulse

I thought this thread was about the Juice. The Pulse was retired in 2004 :whistle:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 07:44:00 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Congrats Steve :tu: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 08:01:00 PM
I haven't kept up with Leatherman these days. I didn't like how they treated me last time I attempted to communicate with them in regards to selling me a few new tools for my collection (I tried to get one of everything back then). After I got the rub off because I was a pesky foreigner, I just haven't kept up with the Leatherman collection for the past few years. I was a bit surprised that the whole Juice lineup is now toast. Mind you, I just did a visit at their official US web site and found that they don't keep a comprehensive retired tool section these days either. A shame that as Leatherman once catered to collectors.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 08:39:08 PM
A mini PST would be great! Unfortunately I don't see Leatherman doing anything sensible like that anymore

Its amazing that after all my exploration of multitools...i come to the conclusion that the original PST is still the best tool in existence. Gram for gram the most tool dense plier based multitool every built.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 08:45:37 PM
I thought this thread was about the Juice. The Pulse was retired in 2004 :whistle:

:P

I do keep my fingers on THAT Pulse.  :D

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 08:47:15 PM
I haven't kept up with Leatherman these days. I didn't like how they treated me last time I attempted to communicate with them in regards to selling me a few new tools for my collection (I tried to get one of everything back then). After I got the rub off because I was a pesky foreigner, I just haven't kept up with the Leatherman collection for the past few years. I was a bit surprised that the whole Juice lineup is now toast. Mind you, I just did a visit at their official US web site and found that they don't keep a comprehensive retired tool section these days either. A shame that as Leatherman once catered to collectors.

I noticed that as well.  Really quite disappointing.  :-\

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 08:54:54 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I think the S2 is the most successful version by being small and light enough to easily pocket carry.  I always thought the 4 and 6 layer versions just a little too brick like to pocket. 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 09:06:30 PM
Its amazing that after all my exploration of multitools...i come to the conclusion that the original PST is still the best tool in existence. Gram for gram the most tool dense plier based multitool every built.

The PST is still a viable tool option...theres posts here somewhere about my KST bladeless conversion. Light,capable and reliable,and were near perfect in my old job. On top of that,they've a bit of class as well
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 11:23:58 PM

I might chip in on behalf of the PST II but broadly I agree.  :hatsoff:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 03:41:53 AM

I've been unimpressed with all of the pliers based MTs in many years.   I got the original Wave, and I like it - There isn't a single Leatherman offering that I would take in place of that.  If that ever kicks the bucket, I'd get LM to repair it.  Having experienced in the past where they will not do as requested in the warranty shop (replace vs repair)... if they were to replace it, I would move to my old Gerber MP600.  If that were to fall apart on me, I'd go with a Swisstool Spirit.

There was another recent thread on this topic where I'd said I felt that the Juice line was very poorly marketed.  If you look at LMs social media, they made no effort to advertise the Juice to the significantly sized market share that would buy them  - backpackers and campers.  the Jelly Bean form factor would go great with everything else that's being marketed to the backpacker crowd - from lanterns to water bottles.  It's a missed opportunity for sure. Only people like us go to the woods with a LM Surge on one hip and a Mora on the other. Most people I know ditch the weight entirely, and dont carry any MT.

Do you know what they're talking about lately in the backpacking circles?  Safety scissors for children   I BS you not. I swear it.  I've seen it at least twice... The newest idea that's been circulated it to get children's arts and crafts scissors and pack them for the trail.  Proponents of this methodology tout their usefulness in opening packages of food on the trail, emergency first aid and nail care, cutting cord, even cutting some foods.  Added advantages are that they are lightweight and TSA compliant.  Seasoned hikers are saying that anything that they used to do with a Vx Classic, they do with safety scissors. 

And then there's me, trying not to look like a psychopath.  It gets harder every season. 

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 07:34:07 AM
A juice sized spirit would be a hit.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 02:09:33 PM
ElevenBlade...safety scissors. Better than nothing I suppose.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 02:15:31 PM
Here is my ode to the Juice...in photos.

IMG_8653A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8654A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8655A by Chako, on Flickr

Yeah...too bad with the way that Leatherman is going these days. For years, I actively tried to collect one of everything Leatherman. Then Julie left the company, and a paradigm shift in company policy made exporting any Leathermans from US retailers practically impossible for me...and voila...not so hot for Leatherman these days. Reason why I haven't sourced any of the Free lineup, etc...

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 03:37:13 PM
Is that an S2 in Green?  I love the look of that.  :drool:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 03:40:56 PM
Here is my ode to the Juice...in photos.

IMG_8653A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8654A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8655A by Chako, on Flickr

Yeah...too bad with the way that Leatherman is going these days. For years, I actively tried to collect one of everything Leatherman. Then Julie left the company, and a paradigm shift in company policy made exporting any Leathermans from US retailers practically impossible for me...and voila...not so hot for Leatherman these days. Reason why I haven't sourced any of the Free lineup, etc...

Kinda jealous of your collection of Juices there - Not gonna lie.  And this is coming from not-a-collector.  Even thought I'm a SAK nut, I dont particularly enjoy looking at my "collection" of red and black knives.  Theres something about the Juice though...  I think I need to get at least one  :facepalm:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 03:47:17 PM
Kinda jealous of your collection of Juices there - Not gonna lie.  And this is coming from not-a-collector.  Even thought I'm a SAK nut, I dont particularly enjoy looking at my "collection" of red and black knives.  Theres something about the Juice though...  I think I need to get at least one  :facepalm:

Honestly I would get one while you can.  If it were me I'd look for a pre-2014 (long blade) S2 or CS4 for the most SAK-like Juice.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 03:52:04 PM
I agree. A nice yellow KF4 is also iconic.

Yes Gareth, it is.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 04:03:39 PM
Honestly I would get one while you can.  If it were me I'd look for a pre-2014 (long blade) S2 or CS4 for the most SAK-like Juice.

Thanks for the pro tip.  I was looking at the ones with the textured scales, just because I'm apparently going emo   :whistle:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 05:17:59 PM
Thanks for the pro tip.  I was looking at the ones with the textured scales, just because I'm apparently going emo   :whistle:

Well they'll be easier to get I'm sure.  I just don't like the look of the stubby blade that was, IIRC, designed for a TSA requirement that never happened.  However there is nothing inherently wrong with them compared to the older versions.  :)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 05:45:00 PM
Well they'll be easier to get I'm sure.  I just don't like the look of the stubby blade that was, IIRC, designed for a TSA requirement that never happened.  However there is nothing inherently wrong with them compared to the older versions.  :)

I do remember reading that - she shorter blade was going to be allowed again by the TSA.... and then it wasn't.  NIB models on the bay are unreasonably expensive.  My initial reason for never getting one was the cost.   :rant:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 12:14:24 AM
Sounds like you need one ElevenBlade.  :pok:  :pok:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 12:57:37 AM
 :iagree: :pok:

:D