Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Decisions, decisions…

us Offline stevekolt

Decisions, decisions…
on: June 01, 2023, 04:35:49 AM
I am getting more interested in  multi tools, especially LM. My current LM collection consists of two  Waves, a Wave Plus, and a Kick. Had a Gerber, and still have couple lesser MT’s by Kobalt & Duluth. I always have a dedicated folder, or OTF knife (Buck or Microtech) in my left front pocket.

So, I am on the fence regarding my next purchase. Currently I plan on getting either a Charge Ti, or a Free P2, along with a Micra. There is no place close to actually handle a P2, and I will be ordering directly from LM to avail myself of their veterans discount.

Thoughts?
To avoid the rain, dive into the ocean

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Decisions, decisions…
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 05:36:23 AM
Rebar or ST300   :tu:

us Offline stevekolt

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 07:08:40 AM
SteveC, thanks for the reply. Why do you suggest these?

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:26:45 AM
I second the recommendation for the Rebar. For my money, it has about the best tool loadout you can get on a Leatherman. (I've never been a big fan of Leatherman's scissors). The only possible stumbling block with the Rebar is the lack of outside opening tools. If outside opening is a must-have, your Waves should do you just fine.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 01:20:20 PM
SteveC, thanks for the reply. Why do you suggest these?

Two of the best Leatherman has to offer. You already have Waves, the Charge is basically the same tool. Not a fan of the Free series   :cheers:

au Offline Echotech

Decisions, decisions…
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 01:31:02 PM
Rebar or ST300   :tu:
:iagree:

Rebar is great for edc, I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do, ST300 the larger version.
Both are very comfortable in use and some of the best value tools in the LM line up
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 01:36:06 PM by Echotech »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 05:23:24 PM
If you have WAVE models and are still looking for more, the CHARGE Ti or Free Series will only separate you from your money.

To fully understand the MTo world, locate and purchase a POCKET SURVIVAL TOOL from the bay.  A simplistic tool that started a trend. It is a pure innocent tool that does a lot in a simple package.

Going more advance, the REBAR is a great tool and it it will out PERFORM a WAVE in capable hands any day.   The SuperTOOL 300 is the predecessor to the REBAR. Just very heavy duty for serious folk only.

Why, these tools have the best screw driving options built in, the best blades, a saw and a full function file that has an edge that can cut thin steel.

If you require other bits as torx or Robinson, there is a bit adapter extender that can utilize any bit a WAVE can.

Yet for basic tools, as flat blades and Phillips, they part of the tool. where if your bit falls out othe adapter on your Wave you loose screw driving functions until found or new purchased.

Have used a ST300 for long time in construction field, and maintenance m, then the Rebar since retiring to home details.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 06:02:15 PM
@stevekolt - why the Charge if you already have three Waves? I know you get the gutting hook and the better steel, but they’re very similar tools.

Another question, why the P2 over the P4?
If you definitely don’t need the saw I can see it makes sense to save a bit of weight and money, but the P4 is still easy to pocket carry, clips nicely to a pocket.

The suggestions for a Rebar are good ones too. It’s a great tool, and unless you absolutely have to have outside pending tools, I’d pick it over the Charge. You’ll have scissors anyway if you’re getting a Micra.

All in all, my recommendation would be the Free P4 as a solo tool, or a Rebar and Micra as second choice.

nz Offline Pauldmmwc

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 09:28:04 PM
Hello
My cheeky suggestion would be one of each of course.  :D
You know you are going to end up there anyway.
You already have a Wave so if you are looking for an EDC i would agree with previous suggestions of a Rebar or ST300.
I have a P4 that is a shelf queen . Looking at the tools they would never have lasted the work my OG Wave has done over the last 25 years.

:cheers:

PD
Semper Sitienti !!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 09:43:40 PM
I echo others about the Charge being pretty much the same tool as the Wave.

The Free is its own tool that many seem to have a love or hate with.  So if it peeks your interest then I would say check it out.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 10:58:43 PM
I'd go with the ST300. Xou already have excellent mid/full sized tools, get something for times when you need something heftier that you think the wave can't handle. My preferred tools are the Wave and the Spirit. But when I need more gripping power or larger jaws, I grab my ST300.

us Offline stevekolt

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 05:08:42 AM
Wow, thanks for all the advice folks. Y'all have given me much to consider...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 04:21:38 PM
Hi, first off thank you for your service  :salute:.  I would suggest Surge.  Its a beefed up Wave if you will.  The outside scissor is great and that blade exchanger is awesome.  I can't fault the ST300 but for my money its the Surge.   

The Micra is a great little tool and like many it might just become your day to day carry. 

While I love the Charge there is no real advantage over your Wave.  Don't get me wrong, the S30V and Ti is nice but as compared to the Wave  :dunno:.  We like nice things so that is a personal thing. 

I'd say seek out a Crunch.  Lastly, I'm a huge fan of the Squirt and Style. 

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 04:41:38 PM
Hi, first off thank you for your service  :salute:.  I would suggest Surge.  Its a beefed up Wave if you will.  The outside scissor is great and that blade exchanger is awesome.  I can't fault the ST300 but for my money its the Surge.   

For me, the Surge is just too much weight, heck with the sheath and bit kit it's about a pound, half a kilogram. A real boat anchor :ahhh
Surge 12.5oz, ST300 9.6oz, it kept pulling my pants down :facepalm: And as the OP already said he always has a dedicated knife, the outside opening tools probably aren't that much of a priority.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2023, 05:47:34 PM
 ;) Its hefty thats for sure.  I carry mine of my work tool belt so the weight is........  not as noticed if I were carrying it day to day on my belt. 

His OTF dedicated knife I'm not guessing is similar in performance as the Surge blade  :dunno:.  What I like about the Surge or LM blades is you aren't going to be shy to use the heck out of them.  While liner locks one still needs to be thoughtful but not hesitant to get them dirty is great. 

Who knows maybe he's a really big fella and 12-16 oz is not a issue?  Maybe he's carrying a bag?  I carry my at home Surge in a pack.  It has several tools I may need.  Just the other day I helped fix a gate that also needed some metal cut off.  Surge to the rescue with the blade exchanger.  Multiple bits and sockets capable. 

Nothing against the ST300 nor any tool one thinks is best.  Eventually lets face it, he'll end up with several LMs if this is the journey hes on  :whistle:.     

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD