Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Collection.

Chako · 595 · 34619

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Leatherman Collection.
Reply #360 on: June 09, 2021, 04:35:54 PM
Ok. Just ordered the Charge TTi+. That will finish off all the charges I can get from the Canadian side.

Looks like that Bond clip is on its way now...from Baltimore no less.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:54:36 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #361 on: June 09, 2021, 05:16:24 PM
Just sent an email to Leatherman asking about:

1. Earth G10 Charge+
2. Topo skeletool
3. Ratchet
4. Trauma kit, Repair kit, Survival kit
5. Black & Silver Surge

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #362 on: June 09, 2021, 05:47:05 PM
I have seen people from all over the world with the ratchet :shrug:

Also seen several others on that list with people all over the world :think:

Maybe they just don't like Canadians :D perhaps you are to close to Oregon and they hold a grudge or something :ahhh

:rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #363 on: June 09, 2021, 08:52:29 PM
No clue.  :dunno:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #364 on: June 09, 2021, 10:31:12 PM
Well, I got my response from Leatherman. As I suspect...no ball.

Here was their response.

Good day Danie,

Thank you for contacting Leatherman Tool Group.

While many of our products are available on our Canadian website, some items are only available in the US or through specified distributors. Part of the reason for this is that our warehouse can only support so much product and we do need to be mindful of what we stock in Canada. Our Charge+ Earth G10 is an exclusive to Sportsman’s warehouse and can only be purchased through them. The Topo Skeletool is currently only available on our US website and was recently only available through REI as an exclusive and it is possible it could become available in Canada, I just do not have an ETA on that. The kits are an exclusive in the US only at this time as we are partnered with another company here to produce these currently. As for the ratchet and the black and silver Surge, those are available in Canada on our website, they are just out of stock. Which is why you may not be able to locate them on the website.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Looks like I am out of luck.  :rant:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #365 on: June 09, 2021, 11:26:37 PM
 :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #366 on: June 09, 2021, 11:44:15 PM
I guess they do not want to make a sale.  :dunno:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #367 on: June 10, 2021, 04:10:15 AM
Comparing the old Skeletool CX to the most recent iteration.

I was not all that happy to see that Leatherman removed the carbon fiber insert in the CX. At least they didn't downgrade the knife steel...so that is something. I wondered what the weight difference would be. I can just tell that there is a slight difference hand holding them. Time to break out my little scale.

Old CX has a mass of 139 grams.

20210609_200512A by Chako, on Flickr

Newer CX has a mass of 146 grams.

20210609_200536A by Chako, on Flickr

I don't know about this new CX. It looks rather plain compared to its more premium older siblings (both straight and serrated bladed versions). I really like how the carbon fiber comes alive when the sunlight strikes it. I also like the 7 grams in weight savings.

20210609_200608A by Chako, on Flickr

I did notice that the newer CX does sport a slightly wider pocket clip. I also noted that the pliers have some differences, mainly the older pliers have a larger round indentation as well as a smaller round indentation not seen in the newer pliers.

20210609_200743A by Chako, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #368 on: June 10, 2021, 04:25:14 AM
Great comparison pics, Chako  :like:

I can't believe it weighs more now though :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #369 on: June 10, 2021, 04:28:16 AM
Not only that, it looks a lot less pretty in the sunlight.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #370 on: June 10, 2021, 12:06:03 PM
 :iagree: :oops: :ahhh

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #371 on: June 12, 2021, 06:40:39 PM
Just got into phase 1 of Ontario's opening. This means stores can now sell things other than what the Provincial Government deemed essential. Line ups everywhere as retail places can only hold 15% customer numbers. Anyways, I had to go to Canadian Tire for something that I could now buy, and ended up buying a Wave+ stainless there. So with the two Charges steaming their way to me...all I think I need in terms of plier based multi-tools, is the black oxide Wave+.

20210612_122920A by Chako, on Flickr

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #372 on: June 12, 2021, 09:04:36 PM
The newer cx also has one piece torx/washer as opposed to the old one with a separate machined washer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #373 on: June 12, 2021, 10:12:44 PM
Steve, is that a lesser quality thing?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #374 on: June 12, 2021, 10:34:07 PM
Cost savings I suppose .

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #375 on: June 12, 2021, 10:47:19 PM
👍

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #376 on: June 15, 2021, 01:49:54 AM
Received the Heritage Charge+ today. Photos will be posted at another date. Kind of surprised at how cheap the Heritage sheath feels. Did not give me a good first impression.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #377 on: June 15, 2021, 04:14:37 AM
They are not the quality of the old ones but better than some of their other sheaths from over the years :salute:

I do wished that they had of really put a bit more effort into making them like the old school LM leather sheaths though :facepalm: :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #378 on: June 15, 2021, 11:41:30 AM
I can see that. The leather feels thin and cheap. The belt loop is sewn crooked on my example. I am not exactly impressed. There is not even reinforced stitching, especially at the belt loop.  :facepalm:

I should be getting my latest Leatherman purchase today if all goes well. The Charge TTi+.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #379 on: June 15, 2021, 07:07:21 PM
It came in yesterday, here are photos of the Charge+ stainless. Personally I find the contrast of the black handles and steel tools to be nicer looking than the all black version. This one came with the Heritage sheath. I still think the belt loop on mine is wonky.

20210615_124233A by Chako, on Flickr

20210615_124308A by Chako, on Flickr

20210615_124323A by Chako, on Flickr

With the addition of the stainless to the black oxide, I now have all of the standard editions of the Charge+ now in my collection. I also got in today, the Charge TTi+.

20210615_124405A by Chako, on Flickr

That is 3 more Charges added to my Charge drawer.  :ahhh

20210615_124518A by Chako, on Flickr

Also arrived today was my Pocket Designs P/T series titanium pocket clip. I originally wanted to add this one to my Bond, but I am thinking I might down the road, try sprucing up another Bond with Leatherman's customization service. Seeing as this one is Norwegian wood design, it might look good with something topographical. Playing with the idea.

20210615_124632A by Chako, on Flickr

20210615_124650A by Chako, on Flickr

20210615_124754A by Chako, on Flickr

So with the local purchase of the Wave+, all I really need from the Leatherman website is a black oxide Wave+. I haven't looked at that K series. Honestly, I already have the K2 and a K4 as representatives. Not sure if I will be going down the colour rabbit hole with those as of yet.  :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #380 on: June 15, 2021, 09:08:52 PM
Cool clip 8) :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #381 on: June 16, 2021, 11:19:26 AM
Thanks.  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #382 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:07 PM
Just bought the Wave+ black oxide along with that ratchet attachment. Also getting a fee bit kit as it looks like Leatherman is running a little promo at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:10:30 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #383 on: June 17, 2021, 07:55:26 PM
I really had a great day today! But it was bittersweet.

There aren't many places to buy Leatherman in my hometown. There is Canadian Tire which for the most part only carries the very basic Leatherman models, and then there was a small outdoor/military surplus store named Joe's Sports and Surplus. I have not visited Joe's in quite some time, and now that Ontario just reopened their retails for the most part a week ago, I wanted to see what they had.

I walked in and did my usual perusing their outdoor survival stuff at the front of the store. They keep their knives and tools as well as most of their military surplus stuff (mostly clothing and boots) in the back room. I approached their Leatherman section in the back only to not see their Leatherman display case. I ask about it and the woman pointed to a lower glass cabinet with a few Leatherman tools. I asked about the display case and she told me it was in storage in the basement. I jokingly asked her if it was for sale. She told me to wait a minute, the owner is in his office on the phone.

I wait thinking...if I can buy it, how much might he want...that is even if he is willing to sell it to me...this is a long shot. The owner comes out and I ask him about the Leatherman display case that I always bought Leathermans from. He tells me that it is in the basement because he will no longer advertise for them. I guess during the most recent Provincial Lockdown, he tried to buy some extras for his business when Leatherman flat out told him that they were not selling to retailers anymore, that if anyone wanted to get a Leatherman, they would have to deal directly with Leatherman. The owner was a bit taken aback that there was no warning from Leatherman. He decided to put their display case in the dungeon. When I asked him if he was willing to sell it to me, he goes...its yours for free. I decided to buy a few things to help him liberate some of his Leathermans as a thank you gesture for the free display case. I don't know what Leatherman said, but the owner of this establishment was rather angry with them.

So I bought a Free K4 in gray, a bit extender, and a Juice S2 orange. I wished he had the gray, but seeing they are hard to come by now, and he had one in stock...and I was happy about the free display...I couldn't go far wrong.

20210617_132107A by Chako, on Flickr

20210617_132519A by Chako, on Flickr

20210617_132956A by Chako, on Flickr

20210617_133018A by Chako, on Flickr

So what this means, the local shops that sell Leatherman will be drying up. I am guessing this is Canada wide. Looks like if you want a Leatherman, you can only get them direct from them, that is once the local stores stock dissipates.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:01:46 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #384 on: June 18, 2021, 12:53:59 AM
Now have the Gray K4 in the drawer.
20210617_184450A by Chako, on Flickr

Also installed the pocket clip to the Bond.
20210617_184550A by Chako, on Flickr

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #385 on: June 18, 2021, 03:50:48 PM
I checked on Leatherman's website and still see larger dealers listed there like Canadian Tire and Atmosphere. Looks like Leatherman might continue dealing with the larger dealers while cutting out the smaller ones.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #386 on: June 18, 2021, 08:19:22 PM
That is sad that the smaller dealer are gonna be cut out though :-\ :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #387 on: June 18, 2021, 08:29:58 PM
It was a bit of a shock.

ca Offline buggs

Reply #388 on: June 19, 2021, 07:11:31 AM
I really had a great day today! But it was bittersweet.

There aren't many places to buy Leatherman in my hometown. There is Canadian Tire which for the most part only carries the very basic Leatherman models, and then there was a small outdoor/military surplus store named Joe's Sports and Surplus. I have not visited Joe's in quite some time, and now that Ontario just reopened their retails for the most part a week ago, I wanted to see what they had.

I walked in and did my usual perusing their outdoor survival stuff at the front of the store. They keep their knives and tools as well as most of their military surplus stuff (mostly clothing and boots) in the back room. I approached their Leatherman section in the back only to not see their Leatherman display case. I ask about it and the woman pointed to a lower glass cabinet with a few Leatherman tools. I asked about the display case and she told me it was in storage in the basement. I jokingly asked her if it was for sale. She told me to wait a minute, the owner is in his office on the phone.

I wait thinking...if I can buy it, how much might he want...that is even if he is willing to sell it to me...this is a long shot. The owner comes out and I ask him about the Leatherman display case that I always bought Leathermans from. He tells me that it is in the basement because he will no longer advertise for them. I guess during the most recent Provincial Lockdown, he tried to buy some extras for his business when Leatherman flat out told him that they were not selling to retailers anymore, that if anyone wanted to get a Leatherman, they would have to deal directly with Leatherman. The owner was a bit taken aback that there was no warning from Leatherman. He decided to put their display case in the dungeon. When I asked him if he was willing to sell it to me, he goes...its yours for free. I decided to buy a few things to help him liberate some of his Leathermans as a thank you gesture for the free display case. I don't know what Leatherman said, but the owner of this establishment was rather angry with them.

So I bought a Free K4 in gray, a bit extender, and a Juice S2 orange. I wished he had the gray, but seeing they are hard to come by now, and he had one in stock...and I was happy about the free display...I couldn't go far wrong.

So what this means, the local shops that sell Leatherman will be drying up. I am guessing this is Canada wide. Looks like if you want a Leatherman, you can only get them direct from them, that is once the local stores stock dissipates.

Great story and nice to see you getting the display case, can't think of a more fitting home for it.  Agree with others, sad to see them not supporting smaller retailers.  Don't really like this Covid related trend of supporting only the mega businesses. 

Those Juice orange seem to be commanding a premium on eBay as well, so probably a good price.  I'd like to get one but nothing locally and won't go down the secondary market. 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #389 on: June 19, 2021, 09:35:37 AM
The Juice was 82 Canadian.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99