Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which sog is currently the best?

Offline master69420

Which sog is currently the best?
on: December 24, 2020, 09:31:54 PM
 I know this is a provoking question that can't ever be truly answered but out of the current line up, which is the most complete multitool in terms of tools, usability and price/size? I see the power access and it looks nice but the tools don't seem to be very complete. Powerpint is amazing but it is extremely expensive for the size. I like the bit holding feature but I hear it is limited in how much force you can apply to screws and sockets because you need to grip it to hold it in place, so having that option along with the 1/4 inch socket seems like a good idea, not sure if any of them can be modified easily. I also like pocket clip options, regardless of size, even as an aftermarket option.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Re: Which sog is currently the best?
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 11:48:17 PM
The Rebar  :pok:

Offline master69420

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 07:11:36 PM
The Rebar  :pok:

LOL, ok never mind, I have made my choice (several of them).

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 07:54:56 PM
I hate to be a prude...but I know for a fact there are children that access this website...and your name leaves a lot to be desired.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline master69420

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 02:24:51 PM
I hate to be a prude...but I know for a fact there are children that access this website...and your name leaves a lot to be desired.
You are right. That is very prude.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 08:32:20 PM
I know that several of my students do frequent this forum from time to time. By the way that new nick of yours is an improvement.  :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:39:37 PM by Chako »

Offline master69420

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 04:38:00 AM
I know that several of my students do frequent this forum from time to time. By the way that new nick of yours is an improvement.  :hatsoff:

You know what? Never mind, I'm out of here. If the place is inhabited by twelvies and teachers then I'm not going to learn anything.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 05:07:11 AM
You know what? Never mind, I'm out of here. If the place is inhabited by twelvies and teachers then I'm not going to learn anything.

Well it's your choice seeing as you obviously think you know better than the real experts here, but the useful info & advice will still be here if you ever change your mind ....
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 05:15:36 AM
 :oops:

Sorry you feel like that. Too bad as well as this web site harbours some of the most knowledgable in the multi-tool and SAK world. Your loss.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 12:01:53 PM
Sorry to see you go, but yes, this forum does have teachers and underage members, but it also has some of the most knowledgeable folks when it comes to Swiss army knives, multitools and knives in general in the whole internet, from all corners of the world. :salute:

And we only have three rules, no politics, no religion and keeping it family friendly. So we can talk about what is really the subject of the matter here, tools. And not having to worry what some innocent eyes might see over our sholder while we're browsing the forum.

You can change your username to whichever you desire, as long as it complies to the three rules. The old one sholuld have probably been picked up by our language filter, but as it wasn't, one of our mods changed that for you. Don't know if you were contacted about the change, but if you wish for a different one that complies with the rules, feel free to contact me or any of the other moderators about that. We will gladly help.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 01:39:14 PM

Hmmm...

Let him go, the... fella needs to be with his own kind... Born free, as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows...

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 03:57:26 AM
Being called a teacher is a great compliment! As the “twelvies”, I freely admit my sense of humor  is in that category. Still it would have been nice to see how the question would have been answered.

Anyone care to continue the thread? Or is that not allowed if the host leaves?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 05:45:22 AM
Being called a teacher is a great compliment! As the “twelvies”, I freely admit my sense of humor  is in that category. Still it would have been nice to see how the question would have been answered.

Anyone care to continue the thread? Or is that not allowed if the host leaves?

I tend to only make an effort if I think the results of that effort will be appreciated .....
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 11:52:04 AM
I tend to only make an effort if I think the results of that effort will be appreciated .....

Ahh well. I’m more a Leatherman fanboy so it would have been nice to see where this was going.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 01:28:25 PM
Getting back to the original post, the best SOG, at least in my opinion, is, and probably always will be, the PowerLock.

In the early days, back even before MTO was a thing, tool users fell into certain categories.

Most folks had a Leatherman, and there was a convoluted hierarchy topped by the Holy Grails, the Charge TTi or XTi.

Most military guys swore by the Gerber MP600's they had been issued.

Military speSmurfpillsts on the other hand, like the demolition guys tended to go with the PowerLocks because they had compound leverage, they were tough, and, if they were broken, guys could replace that function themselves and not have to send the tools in to be repaired.

I have owned pretty much every SOG tool since the very beginning, and while some are very good (the new Power Assist Plier Play Etc is pretty sweet) I am always going to think of the PowerLock as the undisputed King of SOG.

The original Tool Clip is also an amazing tool, and I highly recommend it too, but they are pretty scarce.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 03:45:33 PM
 :iagree:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 04:44:35 PM
Getting back to the original post, the best SOG, at least in my opinion, is, and probably always will be, the PowerLock.

In the early days, back even before MTO was a thing, tool users fell into certain categories.

Most folks had a Leatherman, and there was a convoluted hierarchy topped by the Holy Grails, the Charge TTi or XTi.

Most military guys swore by the Gerber MP600's they had been issued.

Military speSmurfpillsts on the other hand, like the demolition guys tended to go with the PowerLocks because they had compound leverage, they were tough, and, if they were broken, guys could replace that function themselves and not have to send the tools in to be repaired.

I have owned pretty much every SOG tool since the very beginning, and while some are very good (the new Power Assist Plier Play Etc is pretty sweet) I am always going to think of the PowerLock as the undisputed King of SOG.

The original Tool Clip is also an amazing tool, and I highly recommend it too, but they are pretty scarce.

Def

Tool Clip's design gives me the impression of a cheap and very low quality tool. Maybe because it does not look stream-lined or compact (i.e. block-like) like the most of the plier-based tools? Dunno.  :think: :dunno:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 03:56:24 AM
I'm going with the CrossGrip - mightiest of the minis :viking:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 04:19:58 AM
Tool Clip's design gives me the impression of a cheap and very low quality tool. Maybe because it does not look stream-lined or compact (i.e. block-like) like the most of the plier-based tools? Dunno.  :think: :dunno:

Possibly because of the many low quality copies of the genuine ToolClip that have been sold to unsuspecting buyers ?  The genuine ToolClip is well made and of good quality, the copies....not so much. :(   :twak:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 08:58:19 AM
Isn't the toolclip the one that does not have a pliers pin that goes all the way through? Or is it just the mini version?

I think this was mentioned a few years ago
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 01:43:45 PM
Possibly because of the many low quality copies of the genuine ToolClip that have been sold to unsuspecting buyers ?  The genuine ToolClip is well made and of good quality, the copies....not so much. :(   :twak:

This would be my guess as well.  The original Tool Clip was made in Seki City and is very high quality.  The fit and finish is close to Victorinox level.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 02:18:17 PM
[...]compound leverage[...]
I'm curious about this. Is it worth the trade of, of having a much wider handle splay?
And does it help with both static (holding something for a prolonged time) and with dynamic (e.g. cutting a wire)?
Am I correct to assume that people with large hands profit more?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 07:00:20 PM
As someone with small hands, I would think that people with larger hands would get more use out of it, but not having any larger hands to test it with, I can only talk about my own experiences!

However, my father has lost a lot of strength in his hands and I sent him a SOG Power Assist to try and counteract it.  He is able to do things with it that he has been unable to do for years.

That alone has sold me on Compound Leverage.

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 07:48:24 PM
As someone with small hands, I would think that people with larger hands would get more use out of it, but not having any larger hands to test it with, I can only talk about my own experiences!

However, my father has lost a lot of strength in his hands and I sent him a SOG Power Assist to try and counteract it.  He is able to do things with it that he has been unable to do for years.

That alone has sold me on Compound Leverage.

Def
:tu:

Sounds good
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%