Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Raised rivets on my farmer x

lister · 26 · 1332

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Raised rivets on my farmer x
on: July 20, 2020, 04:54:53 PM
That's not right is it (see attached photo)? At least the ones on the plain farmer i have are flush with the scales...  :-[
20200717_074449_compress38.jpg
* 20200717_074449_compress38.jpg (Filesize: 44.32 KB)
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Offline farmerjohn

Re: Raised rivets on my farmer x
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 06:52:43 PM
I had the same issue with mine. It was instantly apparent that the rivets on the back where way higher than on any other Alox Modell I have.

I contacted the seller and I got a picture of another one they had in stock to see if it was better. See for yourself, I attached the picture they send me. I think it’s also visible in that picture that the middle one sticks out quite a bit. Basically the same with the knife I got.

So I refrained from sending it back and just used a ball peen hammer to hammer that rivet down some more. It’s fine now, but of course it would have been nice if it didn’t have that issue to start with.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:14:08 PM
Hmmm.....the rivets on my Farmer X are raised, but no more than a Pioneer or Farmer.   :dunno:

Offline farmerjohn

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 07:51:13 PM
Hmmm.....the rivets on my Farmer X are raised, but no more than a Pioneer or Farmer.   :dunno:

At least with mine the main issue was, that the edge of the rivet was not flush with the scales. It created a sharp edge.
So it wasn’t much about how much they stick out (which they do considerably more than on 4 other Alox I have), but that you could feel the edge of the rivet.

You can also see it in the picture I attached, you can clearly see the edge of the rivet which should normally be totally flush with the scales.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 03:41:17 AM
I have two Farmer X's and the pin heads are as flat and perfect as on any of the dozens of pioneers, model 1961's, and cadets I also have. 

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 12:14:01 PM
So what should I do? Because I feel this is going to tear up my pockets in the long term...  :-[

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 01:34:22 PM
I would be cautious of peening it, because of the excess stock you risk expanding or bending the pin, that might not be an issue as it's not a pivot... But, if there is a problem, then you'd have to re-pin... and alox can be a pain in the arse to re-pin and peen and not look a bit gash.

I know it's very hard to unnotice once noticed, but I would just live with it... I don't think it would damage your trooos?  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:43:43 PM

I know it's very hard to unnotice once noticed, but I would just live with it... I don't think it would damage your trooos?  :think:

Fuzzy, the rim on the head of that pin is above the scales. :ahhh In fact, it almost looks unpeened.
I can see how it could rip up the pockets of your fancy trousers.
Shame on Vic!  :(

(I agree with the dangers of attempting to peen further. If it were me, I'd be filling out the warranty form)
rsz_screenshot_20200721-133956_2.jpg
* rsz_screenshot_20200721-133956_2.jpg (Filesize: 56.45 KB)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 02:55:59 PM
This is what my old soldier looks like...
IMG_20200721_135426~2.jpg
* IMG_20200721_135426~2.jpg (Filesize: 85.88 KB)

All hail the hook!

Offline Hanx

• New User
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 03:15:00 PM
I had the exact same issue on the two green Pioneer X:es I ordered. After reporting the issue I was contacted by the seller personally by phone. He was very forthcoming about it and I was offered to return the knives for full refund or to keep the knives and receive a small refund. I chose the latter option, which smoothened out the discomfort somewhat. This is a minor detail and does not very much affect the function, but as a collector it is still irritating to see this imperfection. It is not up to Victorinox standards. This is a real slip in Quality Control. My uneducated guess is that the countersinking in the alox scales might have been to shallow for the rivet head.
IMG_20200531_134035 (2).jpg
* IMG_20200531_134035 (2).jpg (Filesize: 82.32 KB)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 03:31:35 PM by Hanx »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 03:25:51 PM
Mine has a few issues...

Can I “feel” the river?  Yes. Is it an issue?  Nope.

Besides, I’m in the US and bought this from shop in Germany. Too complicated to send back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 03:28:28 PM
I think I'd return it.  If you try to peen it down yourself you could damage the green alox or make the pin heads ugly, or both.  It's clearly not right and should be returned as a manufacturing error. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 03:32:48 PM
 :iagree: If you foul up the scales then you'll really be bummed.  I'm always slow to send things in as most times I can live with issues.  Imagine how happy you'll be to get one back thats up to your standards. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 03:41:38 PM
It is not up to Victorinox standards. This is a real slip in Quality Control. My uneducated guess is that the countersinking in the alox scales might have been to shallow for the rivet head.

Agree 100% with that!  :iagree:

Vic QC has been gradually slipping in the later years. Something like this (and i  this quantities) would never leave the factory 20 years ago...  :rant:

My standard silver PX has the middle back rivet raised very slightly. I can feel it a bit with my finger, but it's not near enough to catch on threads on fabric on anything, thankfully...  :facepalm:

I'd be pissed if mine was this bad, esp after paying over 50€ for it. This has also made me think twice about ordering any current colored PX´s

I don't collect, but if i did i think it wouldn't annoy me as much as a collector, it would annoy me a hell of a lot more as a user  :rant:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 04:07:49 PM
My uneducated guess is that the countersinking in the alox scales might have been to shallow for the rivet head.
Interesting idea. :think:
I believe Vic uses the same scales on all 93mm knives, the only physical differences being in the colour of the anodising and the shop logo on the back.
So if the Farmer X is having this problem, then so are the pioneers, electricians, etc.
Anyone have a brand-new stock pioneer to check?

Another possibility is that the either the rivets are too long, or the machine isn't peening the rivets far enough. Both of these specifications are unique to the Farmer X, which would explain why it's the only one so far with the raised heads.

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 04:10:49 PM
This is what my old soldier looks like...

Alright, smart pants, point taken... Lister your trousers are fooookd.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 04:14:57 PM
I bet they altered how they do the rotary head riveting for the wider build.  If you put too much force down the pin bends internally.  So they dialed back the force and the result is the heads aren't always flush.

They had a similar problem with pioneer x as some of the first few had bent internal pins.   
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 05:56:04 PM
I bet they altered how they do the rotary head riveting for the wider build.  If you put too much force down the pin bends internally.  So they dialed back the force and the result is the heads aren't always flush.

They had a similar problem with pioneer x as some of the first few had bent internal pins.

:iagree:

Yup, makes perfect sense from metallurgic/mechanical POV

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 07:58:49 PM
Interesting idea. :think:
I believe Vic uses the same scales on all 93mm knives, the only physical differences being in the colour of the anodising and the shop logo on the back.
So if the Farmer X is having this problem, then so are the pioneers, electricians, etc.
Anyone have a brand-new stock pioneer to check?

Another possibility is that the either the rivets are too long, or the machine isn't peening the rivets far enough. Both of these specifications are unique to the Farmer X, which would explain why it's the only one so far with the raised heads.
Here are my best efforts with my Pioneer (LE 2020)

Hope this helps? :dunno: 
Pioneer Rivets 0720a.jpg
* Pioneer Rivets 0720a.jpg (Filesize: 108.06 KB)
Pioneer Rivets 0720b.jpg
* Pioneer Rivets 0720b.jpg (Filesize: 155.02 KB)
They don't like it up 'em!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 08:23:34 PM
Here are my best efforts with my Pioneer (LE 2020)

Hope this helps? :dunno: 
Seems to have a similar problem. :sa:

Vic? Why!? :(

All hail the hook!

us Offline Kevin P

Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
I suppose there could be 10 or more possibilities as to why this is happening but Victorinox shouldn't be letting these out of the factory.  Farmer X costs too much to have rivets that aren't peened. 

Offline CSG

Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 10:44:56 PM
I just looked at a Farmer and Cadet in my nightstand drawer.  I bought these close to 10 years ago and they both exhibit a slightly higher middle rivet on the  scale with the little engraving plate.  If I try, I can feel the edge.  My guess is that's how it's been with these Alox scales for awhile.  While I like the *looks* of Alox scales, I prefer the Celidor scales because I miss the toothpick and tweezers on Alox scaled SAKs.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 12:27:41 AM
I just looked at a Farmer and Cadet in my nightstand drawer.  I bought these close to 10 years ago and they both exhibit a slightly higher middle rivet on the  scale with the little engraving plate.  If I try, I can feel the edge.  My guess is that's how it's been with these Alox scales for awhile.  While I like the *looks* of Alox scales, I prefer the Celidor scales because I miss the toothpick and tweezers on Alox scaled SAKs.
That's true on my soldier. Generally speaking, the rivets on the 'back' (engraving plate) scale are higher than on the front scale.
As you can see from my earlier pic though, it's nowhere near as high as these new farmer X's and pioneers. :ahhh

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 02:30:15 PM
On my PX, middle rivet

PX.jpg
* PX.jpg (Filesize: 113.26 KB)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 10:17:09 AM
So the verdict is that I'll have to live with it or send it in for warranty? Does Vic even accept these colored models?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 01:14:46 PM
So the verdict is that I'll have to live with it or send it in for warranty? Does Vic even accept these colored models?
Well, they made them so I would assume they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD