Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Urban EDC throwdown: Super Tinker vs. Explorer

Myoman · 35 · 5961

Poll

Which is the superior Urban EDC knife?

Explorer
52 (65.8%)
Super Tinker
27 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 73

us Offline Kraken

Re: Urban EDC throwdown: Super Tinker vs. Explorer
Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 02:54:31 PM
I own both of these, and I also have a Deluxe Tinker as well....

Like most everyone says, the backside is a very poor location for that tool.  Also, the three layers may be thinner in the pocket and easier to carry, but it feels just too light for me.  Keep in mind it's not just the three layers, it's also taking into account the *thin-ness* of those layers as well.  Super Tinker has three really thin layers (unlike Cybertool with ONE BIG FAT LAYER), and to me that makes it feel too thin, and not a good grip in the hands.  The Explorer has four layers, yes, but magnifying glass is made of plastic, coupled with a short little stubby driver, does not add much weight, but a LOT more utility.  The thickness and weight of the Explorer seems to be just right.  I agree corkscrew might not be a big use, but that tiny screwdriver comes in handy a lot, for eyeglasses and certain brand watch bracelets.

I thought the Deluxe Tinker would be a benefit, but the thick pliers layer made it feel overbalanced.  Couple that, with the backside screwdriver and it was two steps back IMO.

+1  :iagree:
Semper Fortis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 06:59:00 PM
Explorer.  I have both knives and the Deluxe Tinker and the Explorer just seems like the best of all three.  I'd take the inline phillips over the philips on the back any day.  Mag glass is used and needed not only cause my old tired eyes but for seeing in finer detail.  I like to look at my edges and have used the mag glass for locating fine splinter in finger.     
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline temo

Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 12:57:46 AM
This is a tough one. I have preferred explorer but went to super tinker anyway. So I loose some from tools and size. Size for my EDC starts to be quite max. I had also third option pioneer x and loose phillips. So with three options in mind it was one in the middle. One important factor was that I don't use edc phillips a lot. But still wanted that over using can opener as phillips. Scissors were must. But I think all three I was thinking are great options. Again I do have pioneer and almost explorer vic mod. But for now super tinker seems edc option suits for me.

Lähetetty minun ASUS_X00TD laitteesta Tapatalkilla

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 02:01:14 AM
 :like: :tu:
Another cartoon character

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #34 on: July 24, 2020, 11:42:33 PM
The Super Tinker gets my vote, 3 layers in my limit for pocket carry (and a Classic on my keychain).    As others have stated between the can opener and backspring Phillips on the Super Tinker you can do 95% of what the Phillips on the Explorer can do.  The magnifier while useful is not essential for me and the Corkscrew is not a deal breaker for me either.  The Camper and Super Tinker are my 2 favorite SAKs and I feel like the Explorer and Deluxe Tinker are Swiss Champ wannabes.  I get the appeal of the Explorer but just not for me I guess.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%