Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modification to Original Leatherman Wave, advice needed. 191

Newbie Posts: 5
Modification to Original Leatherman Wave, advice needed.
« on: July 29, 2020, 12:39:56 AM »
Hi all

I'm new here but not new to multitools having an original PST ,Wave , Supertool, Micra and Juice, not to mention a Swisstool my other half just bought me.

Anyway I have posted this request for help in another section of this site but I have now found this forum and seems more appropriate and maybe more guys here with 'the knowledge'.
I have already modded my Wave so that the knife blades do not lock and basically make it a friction folder. This is so I can carry legally in uk that prohibits any locking blade without good reason. Anyway to make the wave even more useful I'd like to change some of the fixed flat head screw drivers or at least one for the bit holder found on the wave mk2 . I have the right disassembly tools (well I do now) . Is this a possible mod for someone with limited engineering experience but a Dremel and enthusiasm .? Any advice appreciated. thanks.
No Life Club Posts: 1,359
Re: Modification to Original Leatherman Wave, advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »
G'Day,

Welcome to the forum.

The biggest problem you will face is that the old Wave does not have locking tools, like the new one. The back of the bit adaptor may not have enough metal on to keep it open with the flat chassis of the old Wave possibly resulting in some play whilst open. It is difficult to compare tools side by side without taking them apart.

Another thought is that you may need to sacrifice two tools due to the thickness of the bit adaptor. I have not seen a mod like that before.

Cheers, Pete
Newbie Posts: 5
Re: Modification to Original Leatherman Wave, advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 05:16:00 PM »
Thanks Pete

I guess I'll have to just get the bits , take it apart and see whats what.

cheers

Fraz

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $103.52
PayPal Fees: $6.31
Net Balance: $97.21
Below Goal: $202.79