Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chili badge definition?

ddogu · 10 · 1463

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Chili badge definition?
on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:39 AM
How is "chili" defined? Where I live chili peppers are just spicy hot peppers (whole or in a powderized form), so I feel like any dish made with that stuff can be called... chili? Or does it have to have beans in it? When I search it I see that there is no well-defined recipe, it seems to be an open-to-interpretation thing :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Chili badge definition?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:17:12 PM
Here in the US it can be a debated topic.  Texas to my understanding, Northern Mexico as it were, is the birthplace of chili.  I'm in California and we tend to reimagine most every dish  :whistle: so I wont give my answer.  Beans may or may not have been part of the original recipe.  Amongst chili aficionados you might not get a clear answer  :dunno:.

Esse Quam Videri

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 03:20:00 PM
Here in the US it can be a debated topic.  Texas to my understanding, Northern Mexico as it were, is the birthplace of chili.  I'm in California and we tend to reimagine most every dish  :whistle: so I wont give my answer.  Beans may or may not have been part of the original recipe.  Amongst chili aficionados you might not get a clear answer  :dunno:.

:rofl:
Well, then, I think I'm gonna try a Mediterranean approach and see how/whether it is accepted/perceived  :D  :think: :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:37:28 PM
I'd say use whatever chili's you have tho.   :salute:

Not sure of this articles accuracy but thought it was worth a read. 
https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm
Esse Quam Videri

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 06:05:08 PM
I'd say use whatever chili's you have tho.   :salute:

Not sure of this articles accuracy but thought it was worth a read. 
https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm

:o wow interesting information. Thanks!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 08:49:16 PM
As a Limey, I was always told that a real chilli has no beans  :dunno:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjIpbGD6ZjrAhXeQEEAHdPQBz0QFjABegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstuffhappens.us%2Fman-selected-to-be-judge-at-chili-cook-off-15820%2F&usg=AOvVaw2EPB9e51l-sv_Qso9jy-u1

"If you know beans about chilli, you know chilli ain’t got no beans.”
I'm a no bean person. Don't get me started on "veggie/vegan options" :twak:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 09:53:20 PM
The rules for chili competitions usually state "No beans".

However, in common usage, most people add beans to their chili. I usually do.

Some chili purists would argue that 'real chili' doesn't have beens. I think historically that is true. But like so many regional dishes around the world, chili has evolved to be more varied and inclusive.

For me, chili has to have meat cooked with chiles, garlic, and cumin. ....unless it's vegetarian chili..... :doh:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 11:58:53 PM
Good question....

With all the variations, I would think it's another one of those things that have a half-dozen criteria, and you need to meet all but one for it to be considered Chili.... give or take.

- it would have to be spiced with hot chilis (ground/powdered or fresh), and it would have to contain cumin
- it would have to be the consistency of a stew
- it would have to have small bits of whatever is in there.... the size of a chickpea or smaller
- beans
- meat/poultry
- tomato as the base

In that case... chili with or without beans, white bean chili, veg chili... all qualify. 
It's similar to the question of: when is a SAK no longer a SAK. 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:32:22 AM
Good question....

With all the variations, I would think it's another one of those things that have a half-dozen criteria, and you need to meet all but one for it to be considered Chili.... give or take.

- it would have to be spiced with hot chilis (ground/powdered or fresh), and it would have to contain cumin
- it would have to have small bits of whatever is in there.... the size of a chickpea or smaller
- beans
- meat/poultry
- tomato as the base

In that case... chili with or without beans, white bean chili, veg chili... all qualify. 
It's similar to the question of: when is a SAK no longer a SAK.
- beans
- meat/poultry
- tomato as the base
Editing is mine based upon instruction (advice  :twak: ) from Mrs Surge who, being Italian, knows about Texan Chilli (apparently  :dunno: )

I (we) are in the "no bean" camp and it should always be made with the cheap cuts of beef, in chunks (cooked/stewed for hours)

She uses a mixture of powdered and fresh chillies (and cumin  :tu: )

She once made a meal for some of my workmates of;

Stuffed chilli poppers,

Chilli nachos,

Chilli corn bread, and

Chilli (which was a bit "warm") 
Yes, I did mean poppers (chillies stuffed with cheddar and deep fried  :drool: )

It was not a peaceful night for our guests (or us)
Still, I've never been to Texas (or the US  :facepalm: ) so what do I know  :think:   

Fight  :duel:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 02:36:13 AM
I do like chunks of meat (beef, bison, lamb, goat, venision, Elk) stewed low and slow until tender.

In addition to garlic, cumin, and chiles, a good chili needs some fat. There should be a little grease on the top.

If you are using lean cuts of meat, it is helpful (recommended) to add some chopped bacon in at the beginning. Not only do you get some extra flavor, but also some fat to help carry all those flavors. Don't neglect the grease. When the chili is done, that grease should be nice and red with chili oils.

Beans.... Mrs Nix insists on beans. I know that some 'purists' will make their chili without beans. But then they'll serve a bowl of ranch beans alongside the bowl of chili. And, naturally, the bowl of beans gets dumped into the bowl of chili.

While this sounds odd, the theory is that leftover chili with beans can develop a 'sour' taste. So, make the beans and chili separately.

The theory sounds OK, but I've never noticed an issue if the beans are just cooked in right from the start.

Every once in a while I sneak in a batch of chili without beans. Usually no complaints. However, there are more leftovers if we've added beans. So there's a bonus.

Now chunk vs mince? I like chunk, but.....those who like to put chili on a hot dog or hamburger or spaghetti....well, they like thinner chili made with mince.

Bottom line: everyone should be able to make the chili that he or she likes. It's more important to make a bowl of your own Red than it is to emulate somebody else's idea of what chili should be.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%