Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rescued an old one

joeMap · 39 · 2054

Offline joeMap

Re: Rescued an old one
Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 05:02:09 AM
If I have screwed up the cellidor, is there a recommended place to buy replacement scales?  Can I even find some that would fit a model this old?  The knife is still certainly worth carrying and I’ve grown fond of it in the last week. 
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To clarify, do the replacement 91mm scales at places like SwissBianco have the same “rivet pattern?”  Were they all made the same throughout the 91mm production with all the different models?

Joe

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 05:35:32 AM
To clarify, do the replacement 91mm scales at places like SwissBianco have the same “rivet pattern?”  Were they all made the same throughout the 91mm production with all the different models?

Joe

Sorry to hear about the shield!  The material is pretty thin and I had seen loose and missing ones prior to trying my first scale restoration. So I had an idea about how little material can be removed. 

Any type if 91mm replacement scale should all fit your knife. Even new scales will fit. I have a Woodsman like yours that is late ‘71 that a previous owner put camo scales on.

Use a little heat to remove the old ones they’ll be easier to pry off.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline joeMap

Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 06:19:28 AM
Thanks, Kamakiri!  It wasn’t pristine to begin with so just getting it into good working order (blades sharpened, cleaned, and lightly lubricated) it will be just fine.

Looks like I can order scales in a variety of colors (and even Alox) that would also acommodate T&T, so might as well order some of those as well as the eyeglass screwdriver for the corkscrew.  I’m just guessing there will be more SAK’s in my future!

Joe

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 07:59:55 AM
That all sounds good Joe! ...except for the mini screwdrivers don’t fit the 5 loop corkscrews.  :(  I think you’re already understanding why we’re a bit crazy about SAKs!  Welcome down the slippery slope!  :salute:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 02:58:54 PM
So it looks like in that 1973 era of feverish reconfiguring, they ended up reversing the position of the woodsaw and scissors? I wonder what caused that decision. Cuious.

I have a Spartan from a similar era 5-ring groovy corkscrew, clip point small blade, and no tnt. The corkside scale is structurally damaged but hanging in there. I kind of don't want to rescale it because it has the original scales. If somebody made replacement tnt-less scales, that might be a thing.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 01:24:48 AM
So it looks like in that 1973 era of feverish reconfiguring, they ended up reversing the position of the woodsaw and scissors? I wonder what caused that decision. Cuious.

Production efficiency is the ‘root’ cause. It drives almost every change that isn’t an addition of a new tool.

Many different knives had different (what I call) construction protocols through their development. 1973 was a big move toward more common construction across all models.

I have a Spartan from a similar era 5-ring groovy corkscrew, clip point small blade, and no tnt. The corkside scale is structurally damaged but hanging in there. I kind of don't want to rescale it because it has the original scales. If somebody made replacement tnt-less scales, that might be a thing.

I think those scales are cool, in a way. But they’re pretty common if you’re always looking at vintage stuff. I’d just do a fix that’s right for your use. I don’t fret about keeping original or correct parts on a user so much. And if it’s more of a restoration, then it’s either fix or replace with a ‘correct’ one.

What kind of issue does it have? Curl /shrinkage? Cracked at the attachment lugs?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #36 on: March 06, 2021, 02:32:51 AM
What kind of issue does it have? Curl /shrinkage? Cracked at the attachment lugs?

Probably more of a curl/shrinkage/got too hot and melted problem. Or something.
20210305_203320.jpg
* 20210305_203320.jpg (Filesize: 496.02 KB)
20210305_203335.jpg
* 20210305_203335.jpg (Filesize: 421.85 KB)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:38:54 AM by Jim the Brave »
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 03:23:07 AM
Probably more of a curl/shrinkage/got too hot and melted problem. Or something.

Yeah, replace it!  Or if you’re a bit crazy like me, try to fix it!  :D

Not that I’ve tried detached and melted.

es Offline Aligator

Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 12:13:25 PM
I love that clip sheet

I hope you can repair those scales, if it is not possible you can always make ones out of wood or horn.

Congratulations

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD